Is Racing Model Boats Growing or Shrinking in Number of Participants? - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 11, 2017, 10:35 AM
Will fly for food
The number of IOM sailors in the PNW has increased with 5 or 6 new sailors in the past year. This coincides with 3 to 5 skippers who have not showed up this year to a regatta. The ebb and flow of life.
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2017, 10:53 AM
Fortunately, I see the number of racing participants increasing of late. Most are un-affiliated with any club. But instead merely racing as guests. I know of no club that would turn away a guest from club racing.

However unfortunately, I see the number of local club members declining.

I would assume when someone leaves a club, they would also be terminating their AMYA membership as well. So a snapshot of AMYA membership, may or may not be relavent to the question of "racing participants".

Regardless of "racing participants", seems like the overall hobby (non formal racing participation) is growing quite well.

But my view is only a very small pixel in the complete picture.
Last edited by Vulcaneer; May 11, 2017 at 11:21 AM.
May 13, 2017, 03:34 PM
We also need to realize not all RC Sailors join AMYA. Some sailors just like to take a boat out and sail on a pond on a Sunday afternoon. Others only race.

Tough question with many facets.
May 13, 2017, 03:39 PM
Steve Landeau IOM USA 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLaser03
We also need to realize not all RC Sailors join AMYA. Tough question with many facets.
And there are just as many that join only because it's a prerequisite to participate.
May 16, 2017, 06:57 PM
We have a Soling 1 design club here in Sarasota. It started about 20 years ago by 2 guys. Today we have 70 members and will have over 40 boats on the water during the winter season. We will sail 4 fleets in season and 2 off-season.

I would say its growing unlike our sailplane club that had 20 members 10 years ago and now we are down to 3 and just lost our field. Every place we looked at said no to drones even though we are sailplanes. Most disturbing are the power flyers who do not want gliders around them and will not support fellow RC's.
May 16, 2017, 09:08 PM
I design laser cut frame sets for many different boats. The one thing I have noticed is all my clients are retired. Talked to several about this very topic and everyone seems to agree. Young people just are not interested in building anything, planes, boats or cars. They just want to open the box and make it go. Taking a day a week or say a couple of months is out of the question. Besides you have to learn how to sail or fly and thats too hard. Just have mom or dad by you a drone, charge it up and you can fly it with your i phone. Not a clue about how it works or what makes it fly.
I used to fly r/c planes, but lost our airfield to a housing development. Had to travel to the high desert to fly so backed out of that. Raced real sailboats for many years, and enjoyed that. Have several r/c sailboats and I just like to go down to the local pond and sail just for the enjoyment. Maybe the hobby will grow maybe it won't, but one thing I think everyone can agree upon is the satisfaction you get from being able to say I built that!
May 17, 2017, 01:27 PM
COMPLELTY AGREE with comments above from "oldforedecker" ...

Along those same line n comments I made at top of this thread ... kids / young adults get no training in high school shop - have no clue or training how to use tools ... they hire someone else ...

Thus many people just buy "Ready to Run RC items" ... have no clue of risk / rules and FCC/FAA regulations ... putting themselves and other at risk of injury

Local n online hobby shops contribute to this risk - since their goal is to sell stuff n wash their hands of the risks n dangers to others ...

I am sure there are many more folks out there like myself n oldforedecker ... just like to relax building and restful fun sailing ... with occasion fun racing ... there is always room for those that are serious about racing and formal rules ...

just like full-size REAL SAILBOATS (not all sailboat owners race - most just sail for fun)
May 17, 2017, 03:40 PM
Deleted...OP has his answer.
Last edited by Vulcaneer; May 18, 2017 at 05:14 PM.
May 17, 2017, 07:54 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Your last paragraph covers it!

BP
May 17, 2017, 08:38 PM
Spot on bbbp,

Just received my latest Classic Boating Magazine, great article about a youth boat building program they are running in Florida. At the very beginning is a quote from Chip Foose.

The biggest crime happening in America is the fact that they have pulled all those shop classes out of schools. Kids today, their dream isn't to build something, it's to buy something.
May 17, 2017, 08:52 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldforedecker
Spot on bbbp,

Just received my latest Classic Boating Magazine, great article about a youth boat building program they are running in Florida. At the very beginning is a quote from Chip Foose.

The biggest crime happening in America is the fact that they have pulled all those shop classes out of schools. Kids today, their dream isn't to build something, it's to buy something.
My seventh grade shop class was wood shop, after school club was model sailboat club, we raced other jr high schools with small free sailing boats we built ourselves.
Circa 1976/1977
May 17, 2017, 09:21 PM
It is amazing to me the answers generated by what appeared to be a simple factual question....
May 18, 2017, 11:37 AM
Ontario Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Corbett
It is amazing to me the answers generated by what appeared to be a simple factual question....
LOL, yup you got that right.
Personally I'm somewhat satisfied with answers that have been posted that DO address the question. As they say around here, "good enough for government work" and I have been enjoying the free ranging discussions. LOL