HyperFlight/ETL El Niño - the latest 4m ultralight - RC Groups
May 10, 2017, 09:25 AM
Discussion

HyperFlight/ETL El Niño - the latest 4m ultralight

We have just taken delivery of some El Niño models from Alex Hoekstra at European Top Planes. I am very impressed by the good aerodynamics, the construction quality and the well thought out detail design.

HyperFlight El Niño page:
http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/products.asp?code=EL-NINO

ETL's page:
http://europeantopplanes.nl/?page_id=490

I am very excited about this model, it could be the best F5J yet.

More info on my site later today.

Neil.
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2017, 09:02 PM
Life got in the way, but I managed to weigh the model and write a description this evening. Please check it out.
http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/products.asp?code=EL-NINO

TL DR
It is wonderful model. I am very impressed.

Neil.
May 13, 2017, 05:03 AM
Tragic case
Thanks for posting Neil. Seems to be as least as pricy as the rohacell models. Great to see the variety in lightweight models.
May 13, 2017, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidleitch
Thanks for posting Neil. Seems to be as least as pricy as the rohacell models.
Thanks for your interest!

Export prices for our 3.7m+ F5J models:

Rohacell core:
Vinco 4m $1900 (if we were selling it)
Ultima 4m $2005
Plus 3.7m $2115

Hollow molded:
El Nino 3.9m $1763
Maxa Pro 3.9m $1915

So I think El Nino is good value by any standard.

Neil.
May 14, 2017, 09:23 AM
AutoPilot .
Woah iam tempted at the green one
the connector and wing harness included ?
May 14, 2017, 11:37 AM
The connectors and the wire is included, but you have to solder it up yourself.

Neil
May 14, 2017, 01:48 PM
doo
doo
Last edited by doo; May 14, 2017 at 03:59 PM.
May 15, 2017, 05:43 AM
Can Alex tell us how the model goes in events, especially in varying winds. Any videos of it flying?
May 15, 2017, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil stevo
Can Alex tell us how the model goes in events, especially in varying winds. Any videos of it flying?
I did only one contest until now but that went well. Pictures, scores and a report in dutch in the following link.

http://sanderbuitendijk.nl/Modelvlie...in%20Horst.htm

The El Niño has a very thin wing. Rooth at 7 % towards the tip to 5.4%. For comparison i used GT SynerJ sections but i went stil a bit thinner and with lower camber because the SynerJ sections are designed for F3J for slightly higher wing loadings and power starts.
This plane flies very dynamic compare to other light models and it needs little ballast when wind picks up. Towards the wingtip it has some wash-out what makes the plane very stable to fly and easy to handle.

It would be nice if some other dutch pilots that already fly the plane jump in. Of course the seller always talkes nice about his creation.
May 15, 2017, 11:50 AM
Camber down and screw it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hoekstra
The El Niño has a very thin wing. Rooth at 7 % towards the tip to 5.4%. For comparison i used GT SynerJ sections but i went stil a bit thinner and with lower camber because the SynerJ sections are designed for F3J for slightly higher wing loadings and power starts.
7 % ?????

Just for comparison, the NAN Explorer F5J (the latest) root is 8.6 % (hollow molded)
and the Ultima F5J root is 7.8 % (Rohacell core).

--
Greg
May 15, 2017, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdouglas
7 % ?????

Just for comparison, the NAN Explorer F5J (the latest) root is 8.6 % (hollow molded)
and the Ultima F5J root is 7.8 % (Rohacell core).

--
Greg
Yup, That with a root short of 225 mm makes a wing of 15.75 mm thick at the root.

Handlaunch models are mostly not over 6% with comparable wing loading so 7% is more then sufficient to deliver the lift needed for a short turn.
When you fly models with light wing loadings (12 to 15gr/dm2) you generally fly in lot lower CL ranges then with heavier models. So profil optimizing should go a lot more towards the lower CL,s (0.2to 0.6 for glide and 0.6 to 0.9 for thermal ) At higher CL's the plane will become so slow that RE numbers suffer and controlling the plane will be difficult.
May 15, 2017, 02:18 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
This plane looks super cool. How robust is the wing and and fuse?? Especially considering how high the AR is and how thin the airfoil is?
May 15, 2017, 03:37 PM
Hard to answer. Probably on par with other light models. Wing outside 40 gram carboweave with a doubler in the D box and some extra reinforcement in the root and at the end parts. Rohacell 30. Inside a single layer of 20 grams Carboweave. Spar 15 12K rovings at the root to 3 at the tip top and bottom. Some roving in the leading edge. Strong enough to fly some loops and rolls. Wing mostly only bends when breaks are deployed. Fuse is pretty strong and because of the short nose momentary crafts are a lot less then with long noses. I choose for hollow molded because the skin stays much nicer overtime. My experience with full core is that it developed quickly a cellulitis skin and spars start to show a lot more.
May 15, 2017, 04:03 PM
doo
doo
Yet another interesting model that I want to try.

Neil, are the models you have in stock the same scheme as in the picture in post #1(Many stripes on wing top)?

Thanks.
Last edited by doo; May 15, 2017 at 04:09 PM.