This thread is privately moderated by old4570, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 09, 2017, 09:51 PM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Rainbow 2 Part 5 and finish ...

We are getting close to the finish line now ...

One only has to decide where to put stuff , and then glue and screw ..
I put my ESC on top , simply to leave plenty of space for a battery ( I ended up using 1500mAh 2s )
But I want the option of my longer 2200mAh 2s ..

I used double sided tape for the 6ch Rx , as well the ESC ( but the ESC was given some hot glue )
The fuse / pod was 5 minute epoxied + hot glued ...

The servos were super glued ( very lightly ) as they were already a tight fit .

Once I got the control horns in place I realized the Ailerons were too tight for the Servos and associated hardware ..
I had flexed these back onto themselves , but the surface tension of the foam was just too much ..

Rainbow2 Skin tension (1 min 35 sec)

You can watch the vid if you like ...

What I did was take a hobby knife and cut through about 50% of the join .. Now the servos can actually move the ailerons ..
The surface tension is still high , so I limited the servos to 50% throw .. I will post a POST build video ..
This seems to be a working solution ( for now )
You may wish to cut out the Ailerons and use hinges , this would make life easier on the servos ..
Something to be aware off if buying the Rainbow2 ( Actually any foam model )

This really has been a easy build ..
If you had a decent work space , all the components you needed .
Some foam safe cyno , there is no reason this wing could not be completed in a Morning and flown in the afternoon ...

CG /
Somewhere around 165mm to 170mm from the front edge ... I aimed @ 165mm and then take it from there ..
UPDATE - 165mm = Nose heavy , 170mm or 175mm might be a better place to start ..
I have plenty of wiggle room with the battery ...
Last edited by old4570; May 17, 2017 at 08:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply