Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 09, 2017, 06:30 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Mini-HowTo

How To Setup - iRangeX IRX4 2.4G 4 IN 1 STM32 Multiprotocol Module

Banggood recently released the new 4 in 1 Multiprotocol iRangeX IRX4 2.4G CC2500 NRF24L01 A7105 CTRF6936 4 IN 1 STM32 Multiprotocol Module and they sent me one for review. Unlike the earlier module this STM32 has the capacity to store all of the protocols. The module is designed to work with transmitters that operate with OpenTX 2.2.X.

The detailed specifications are here iRangeX IRX4 2.4G CC2500 NRF24L01 A7105 CTRF6936 4 IN 1 STM32 Multiprotocol Module Scroll down the page to see all the protocols supported.

How to Use

OpenTX 2.2.X has special support for the iRangeX IRX4 that allows the protocols to be easily selected from the transmitter SETUP menu or Companion.

For this how to It is assumed that the user has some knowledge of OpenTX and has not yet installed OpenTX 2.2.X on their system. The first step is downloading OpenTX 2.2.X. here http://www.open-tx.org/downloads.html

After installing Companion, click “gear” icon to open the Edit Settings screen. Select your radio type and “multimodule”.

My preference is to use the STMbootloader or the “Mode 1” USB connection because it flashes everything with one step. It is installed with Zadig and the installation information is here https://github.com/opentx/opentx/wik...is-Bootloaders

After the Zadig proces is complete click the “down” arrow icon in Companion and then click “DownloadFW”. After the firmware downloads it will ask if you want to flash the TX. Click yes. Campion flashes the TX.

Next update the transmitter SD card with the OpenTX2.2.X files including the matching single version file that goes in the root of the SD card.

With the TX power off install the iRangeX in the module bay being very careful that the connector pins are lining up correctly with the module connector.

Binding

Power up the system and select the TX SETTINS page and scroll to the external module section. I’m using a Hubsan X4 quad. See my settings in the image below. The outputs are Aileron, Elevator, Throttle and Rudder. See image below.

All the protocol details can be found here https://github.com/pascallanger/DIY-...ols_Details.md

The binding process will differ depending on the device to be bound. For the Hubsan that always does a new bind on every start up and has a short timing window, I find it works well if I start the TX with the throttle at mid-point so I get a throttle error. I then connect the Hubsan power and quickly move the throttle to idle and then back to power and then off. The X4 then binds with its LED lights on.

On my Heli-Max CP 100 it does a normal bind (SLT protocol) and remembers the bind.

I’ve test flown my Hubsan X4 with the iRangeX 4 in 1 module and it seems to work very well. The iRangeX offers the ability to fly a large number of different brands and adds a lot of flexibility to a OpenTX OS powered system.

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Sep 03, 2017 at 08:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 09, 2017, 06:31 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Sample FrSky Taranis Q X7 iRangeX Model File with a Hubsan X4 micro quad and a Heli-Max AXE 100 CP micro heli. The X4 has been flown quite a bit and seems to work well. The AXE 100 has been flown a few times, but consider it a work in progress and a starting point with the very basic controls.

I used page 13 of the Heli-Max AXE 100 CP manual here to get the basic controls to work with OpenTX http://manuals.hobbico.com/hmx/hmxe0820-0821-manual.pdf

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; May 12, 2017 at 01:29 PM.
May 12, 2017, 10:03 AM

Turnigy 9XR PRO ?

Hello Jet_Flyer (Mike),

Thanks for the great information!

I'm new to all this so please understand.

I have the Turnigy 9XR PRO (stock settings/software from HobbyKing) and I'm wondering if you know if it would be compatible and work well with your guide?

Thank you!
May 12, 2017, 12:10 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4FunRC
Hello Jet_Flyer (Mike),

I have the Turnigy 9XR PRO (stock settings/software from HobbyKing) and I'm wondering if you know if it would be compatible and work well with your guide?

Thank you!
I'm not really up to speed with the Turnigy 9XR PRO, but it is listed on the 4 in 1 webpage as compatible and looking at 2.2.X OpenTX Companion I see that the 9XR PRO is listed as a radio selection. So it looks like you would need to download OpenTX 2.2.X for your 9XR PRO and install it on your radio.

Mike
May 12, 2017, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4FunRC
Hello Jet_Flyer (Mike),

Thank you!
One of our users tested sucessfully OpenTX with the multimodule on the 9X Pro. You will need 2.2rc17 or newer. Or you use ersky9x.
May 14, 2017, 09:23 AM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Tested the iRangeX IRX4 in D16 mode with a FrSky X8R receiver and it works including telemetry.

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; May 15, 2017 at 09:05 AM.
May 15, 2017, 09:04 AM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Tested the iRangeX IRX4 in FrSky D8 mode with a FrSky D8R-II Plus receiver and it works including telemetry.

Mike
May 26, 2017, 02:20 PM
Mike
Have you upgraded the firmware on the IRX4 or is your report to date 'as delivered'?
Mine is on order. And I have an X4 Hubsan, very helpful to have a hands on .otx
Thanks
May 26, 2017, 02:34 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Church
Mike
Have you upgraded the firmware on the IRX4 or is your report to date 'as delivered'?
Mine is on order. And I have an X4 Hubsan, very helpful to have a hands on .otx
Thanks
They are sending them with the latest firmware so no update needed.

Our home is on a cul de sac so it is great to have micros to fly when I’m not flying at the cub field. The X4 is a lot of fun, but very small so it does not need a lot of space to fly.

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; May 26, 2017 at 02:42 PM.
May 26, 2017, 05:10 PM
So both DSM2 amd DSMX should also work?

That would be great.
May 26, 2017, 05:17 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Church
So both DSM2 amd DSMX should also work?

That would be great.
Yes, that is what I understand, but I do not use anything Spektrum, so I have no way to test.

Mike
May 26, 2017, 06:33 PM
I'll test when I get mine and report. Thanks, Mike
May 31, 2017, 08:42 AM
nbc
nbc
I have this module in my Taranis Q X7. I got it to bind with my E010c.

When you create a model in the Q X7, you turn off Internal RF, use the External RF, then choose MULT MJXQ in Mode with subtype E010.

That binds it with the E010... although you have to reverse the direction of the elevator, and you're set.

Anyone know what the settings are for an E010s Flysky version?

thanks,

nbc
May 31, 2017, 09:24 AM
I've used this module with HiSky, V2x2, E010 and FlySky without any issues for indoor flying.

It also binds with my DSMX / DMS2 Rx on my 450's with no problems.

I'm using it on my QX7 and 9XR Pro tx's.
May 31, 2017, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod69
I've used this module with HiSky, V2x2, E010 and FlySky without any issues for indoor flying.

It also binds with my DSMX / DMS2 Rx on my 450's with no problems.

I'm using it on my QX7 and 9XR Pro tx's.
Does it have model memory? The problem I run in to with my Orange Module is that it requires rebinding every time I want to fly.

Quick Reply