Futaba 6L Sport - Budget 6-Channel Transmitter

The 6L from Futaba is the latest budget transmitter with basic mixing. It's priced under $90 and is great for beginners and seasoned pilots alike.

Futaba 6L Sport - Budget 6-Channel Transmitter

A New Beginner-Friendly Radio System From Futaba

Futaba has just announced a basic 6-channel transmitter with V-Tail, elevon and flaperon mixing. The 6L has a single 2-position switch and rotary dial for controlling landing gear and flaps. Priced under $90, the Futaba 6L is great for a first aircraft transmitter, a backup, or a trainer.

CLICK HERE for more information on the Futaba 6L

Features:

• Futaba's T-FHSS Mono Directional 6-channel air system.
  • R3106GF high voltage receiver with fail-safe.
  • Built in, full-range antenna for a sleek design.
  • V-Tail, elevon and flaperon mixing.
  • 2-position switch and rotary dial.
  • Servo reversing.
  • Low battery alarm.
  • Buddy box capabilities.
  • Link mode.
  • Range check.
  • Mode 1 or Mode 2.
  • Requires servos.

6L Specs:

• Type: 2-stick, T-FHSS Mono Directional 2.4GHz System
  • Transmitting Frequency: 2.4GHz band
  • Channels: 6
  • System: T-FHSS (Mono Directional), no telemetry
  • Power Supply: 4 AA cells (required)
  • Low Battery Alarm: Yes
  • Mixes: Elevon, V-Tail, Flaperon
  • Modulation: Futaba T-FHSS Mono AIR
  • Receiver: R3106GF (Included)
  • Switches: 1
  • Telemetry: No
  • Trainer Connector: Student Only
  • Trims: 4 Analog
  • Dials: 1
  • Frequency: 2.4GHz

Last edited by Matt Gunn; May 09, 2017 at 02:09 PM..
May 09, 2017, 02:12 PM
Best feature:

'Requires Servos'
May 10, 2017, 03:28 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
Seasoned? I'm not sure about that. With analog trim levers that can be bumped easily and no way (that ive seen) to set expo or dual rates, that puts the user into a position of adjusting travel rates into the control linkages.

It's nice, but I think futaba could have added those in for a small cost increase. It comes off as them trying to shoot for a price point instead of using the mantra of "simplify, then decide on a modest price"
May 10, 2017, 04:06 PM
RCGroups Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin
Seasoned? I'm not sure about that. With analog trim levers that can be bumped easily and no way (that ive seen) to set expo or dual rates, that puts the user into a position of adjusting travel rates into the control linkages.

It's nice, but I think futaba could have added those in for a small cost increase. It comes off as them trying to shoot for a price point instead of using the mantra of "simplify, then decide on a modest price"
Well I'm an expert on seasoning, so...
May 10, 2017, 07:46 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
Chicken? Beef? Paprika?

BTW, your video podcasts are awesome. I try to watch them as much as possible.
May 11, 2017, 02:29 PM
$90 for this turd? What a joke. Analog trims, a single switch and overpriced rxs. I love my futaba radio but this one is a dud.
May 11, 2017, 02:59 PM
DFS#000178
I have a feeling the only reason this came into existence was to be packaged with RTF models under another brand's name, the way Futaba and Airtronics used to do with RTR cars and trucks.
May 11, 2017, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
I have a feeling the only reason this came into existence was to be packaged with RTF models under another brand's name, the way Futaba and Airtronics used to do with RTR cars and trucks.
Quite probably. They also will sell a bunch as Futaba radio's for buddy boxes and to folks who just want a basic radio.

Both Tamiya and Align have been known to rebrand Futaba radios
May 12, 2017, 12:32 AM
Mach 1
I'm an old man and I like analog trim levers. I wish they made a high end radio with them on it. I never had a problem with old style trim levers years ago. Also it's just something less to go wrong. I like the simplicity . I'll bet this little radio will be working when the rest are worn out and ready for the junkyard. Your getting Futaba reliability. I think this is a bargain.
Last edited by pathfinder; May 12, 2017 at 12:37 AM.
May 15, 2017, 04:56 PM
I think basic radios these days have to come with at least the expo feauture. Many current aircraft need expo to fly smoothly.

I may buy this radio if it is proven to be as reliable as higher end Futabas.
May 17, 2017, 03:25 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Seriously? For about $60 one can get the FlySky i6x, and it has telemetry, awesome range, switches and knobs, and is programmable.
May 17, 2017, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez
Seriously? For about $60 one can get the FlySky i6x, and it has telemetry, awesome range, switches and knobs, and is programmable.
And for $105 you can get a Taranis QX7, which is comparable to an 16SZ in capability aside from the colour screen.

The big brands sub-$100 TX's are not great values, but they may be great entry points to the system. However Futaba's decision to use a separate and incompatible protocol for their lower-end systems limits this.
May 17, 2017, 12:08 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
And for $105 you can get a Taranis QX7, which is comparable to an 16SZ in capability aside from the colour screen.

The big brands sub-$100 TX's are not great values, but they may be great entry points to the system. However Futaba's decision to use a separate and incompatible protocol for their lower-end systems limits this.

Indeed. And to not include electronic trims or even basic expo is cutting unnecessary corners.
May 17, 2017, 06:05 PM
Taranis Tyro...
Dear Futaba, it's 2017, not 1987. Beginner radios have to offer more than this to be competitive. What buyer from the smartphone generation is ever going to buy a hideous, plasticky screen free disaster like this which doesn't even feature multiple model memories?!!

D-, could do better.
May 17, 2017, 06:16 PM
S.A.D. member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB
Dear Futaba, it's 2017, not 1987. Beginner radios have to offer more than this to be competitive. What buyer from the smartphone generation is ever going to buy a hideous, plasticky screen free disaster like this which doesn't even feature multiple model memories?!!

D-, could do better.
It is a perfect fit for the "older" guys - those who can not figure out model memories and digital trims and like to have a dedicated transmitter for each model. Their numbers are dwindling though...

Ivan