Top Gun anyone? - RC Groups
May 09, 2017, 10:25 AM
Student of aerodynamics
Competition

Top Gun anyone?

Is it me or does nobody else have any love or interest in Top Gun at Lakeland FL? I would have thought there would be a thread in the special events area like SEFF, Joe Nall, Toledo, etc. Am I missing it somewhere? Is it not what it used to be? I thought it was for, well...Top Gun airplanes and pilots. I can't hardly find any info anywhere and I'm not just talking RCG. Somebody throw me a bone!
to remove ads between posts
May 09, 2017, 03:19 PM
ʇsol
I don't have an answer...except that I think there's more interest/activity about it on RC Scale Builder and RCU. The weather was about the best we've had in years, lows in the 50s and on Saturday it was a nice 77 in a sometimes stiff breeze (around mid-day it was gusting 28-30mph).

I haven't checked to see what the final scores were, but here are some snapshots from Saturday:

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...
Latest blog entry: Gentle Lady build
May 09, 2017, 09:38 PM
Student of aerodynamics
Vulturetec, one word...WOW! Those are some unbelievable photos. I did find a part 1 of 2 video on youtube from this year and I could tell it was quite breezy. The guy that owns the LHS in my area took his 1/3 scale P-51 for the first time but I haven't heard how he placed. Thanks for sharing!
May 15, 2017, 09:02 AM
Student of aerodynamics
Still no interest from one of the best RC forums on the planet. Unbelievable. I'm disappointed in some of you true hard core giant scale guys.
May 15, 2017, 03:25 PM
ʇsol
I've yet to even see any scores posted anywhere. The Top Gun website has last year's info, nothing about this year. The Facebook page has nothing. There's a picture of Jack Diaz with his Fouga and a couple of "congratulations" comments - but until I got an email ad from Jeti I didn't know for sure that he'd won.

Kind of scratching my head. There were a lot of people there, seems odd there's no info floating around
May 15, 2017, 04:30 PM
Student of aerodynamics
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulturetec
I've yet to even see any scores posted anywhere. The Top Gun website has last year's info, nothing about this year. The Facebook page has nothing. There's a picture of Jack Diaz with his Fouga and a couple of "congratulations" comments - but until I got an email ad from Jeti I didn't know for sure that he'd won.

Kind of scratching my head. There were a lot of people there, seems odd there's no info floating around
I know, right? I haven't spoken to the guy that runs the LHS in my area yet but I had heard he placed 9th with his 1/3 scale P-51 but I don't know if that was overall, or static, or what class or anything but hopefully he'll be able to tell me more when I see him again. I'm just really astounded at the lack of interest and/or info not only here but also the other websites as you stated. Thanks again for the pics, they are truly fabulous.
May 15, 2017, 04:54 PM
ʇsol
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyn2low
Thanks again for the pics, they are truly fabulous.
Thanks!
May 16, 2017, 03:37 PM
Student of aerodynamics
I talked to one of the guys from my LHS who had the 1/3 scale P-51 there, although he still placed top 10 (9th), he could have done better. Apparently, this was his first time to Top Gun, so you know, lots to learn and all at a new event. Sounds like they really got him on a lot of minor technicalities...I won't go into details because it's second hand info and I don't know if he minds me telling everyone or not so I'll just leave it at that and say a big congrats for 9th place is one heck-of-a score for a rookie LOL.
May 16, 2017, 08:37 PM
Mumbling in the corner.
The two bladed prop didn't help him. Or that Corsair pilot.
May 17, 2017, 02:27 AM
Student of aerodynamics
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy2610
The two bladed prop didn't help him. Or that Corsair pilot.
The 2 blade prop was for testing and maiden flight. It had scale 4 blade at event. I had no idea that was a corsair pilot or if he does or not either but I'm curious now and will ask him when I see him next. He's at Joe Nall this week...must be rough lol. Thanks
May 20, 2017, 09:17 AM
Need 4 Speed!
Top Gun 2017 had an incredible lineup of aircraft! Based on the participation at TG it seems there is still a strong group of die hard modelers.
Last edited by pdawg; May 20, 2017 at 09:25 AM.
May 21, 2017, 08:46 AM
Student of aerodynamics
Glad to see more great pics, thanks for sharing pdawg! I'm still a little baffled why there hasn't been more info available online or anybody really talking about it, even on Frank Tiano/Top Gun website it still has 2016 results
May 21, 2017, 08:26 PM
I also don't understand why any of the forums don't cover Top Gun. It is a big deal for builders and this year was the biggest ever. As for Franks site, he never cover's his own event, only posting's are the final results. The photo array is dependent on when the photo guy get's them done. This year was my first time entering and I fell flat, lost the nose of the engine on practice day.
As for how things are judged, it is dependent on what the participant shows with his documentation. One can show to much or to little, they are judged from fifteen feet but can be closer if a judge feel's the need. And the airframe is judged by what is given to the judges from all three views as well as photos. It is not as easy to make an airframe match photos as one would think.