Jan 21, 2020, 09:42 PM
Suspended Account
Not with openxsensor. It just counts rising edges.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
to remove ads between posts
Jan 21, 2020, 09:45 PM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighcopter
Not with openxsensor. It just counts rising edges.

That makes it even easier.
Thanks again.
Jan 21, 2020, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson
That makes it even easier.
Thanks again.
Brilliant, copy that, thanks All,
Jan 21, 2020, 10:50 PM
Quote:
...or skip his code and use openxsensor.
Yep, definitely too much going on between my ears to be clear with my communications:

I have two projects in mind:

First one is to take rpm from the CDI tach output of my gasser via arduino nano and into Sport on RX8R

Second one is to use the Align rpm magnet sensor to detect rpms of the main tail rotor gear (with magnets glued to the underside of this gear) which will give main rotor rpms independent of the motor and esc. This will feed via arduino nano into X6R Sport.

For the second project I expect I needed Bionicbone's code rather than openXsensor??
Jan 21, 2020, 10:53 PM
Suspended Account
Nope. Openxsensor will work with both. In fact the code will be the same. Only difference is you need to feed power and ground as well as get the signal from the hall sensor.

Jan 21, 2020, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Nope. Openxsensor will work with both. In fact the code will be the same. Only difference is you need to feed power and ground as well as get the signal from the hall sensor.

Brilliant

You guys are amazing
Jan 21, 2020, 11:09 PM
Suspended Account
Not amazing. I've just used it a few times. No need not to share my experience. It's why we're all on here.

Jan 22, 2020, 12:22 AM
Whoops was it always in 2 bits
@raleighcopter - it sounds like openxsensor can create more than one rpm sensor in the code?

My full project uses 4, one for engine rpm, clutch rpm, rpm in which the clutch became fully engaged and actually another to send error data back to the taranis like clutch slipping and for how long. Is this possible in openxsensor? It could save me a whole load of messing.
Jan 22, 2020, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Not amazing. I've just used it a few times. No need not to share my experience. It's why we're all on here.

C'mon claim it Raleigh... you are amazing . (as are we all)
Jan 22, 2020, 02:23 AM
Secretary AAG, India
The CDI tach output is nothing else but the signal from the hall sensor mounted on the engine.
If in doubt, you may use a Y on that wire before the CDI and use it. I have run Tacho's like that for years before the CDI's had a tach out.
Jan 22, 2020, 02:28 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicbone
@raleighcopter - it sounds like openxsensor can create more than one rpm sensor in the code?

My full project uses 4, one for engine rpm, clutch rpm, rpm in which the clutch became fully engaged and actually another to send error data back to the taranis like clutch slipping and for how long. Is this possible in openxsensor? It could save me a whole load of messing.
You don't need to do that in openxsensor… If you have engine RPM A and clutch RPM B, you can simply create a virtual sensor in the sensor page that returns the numerical value of A-B. Then set a logical switch that triggers a warning when this difference exceeds a preset value.
Jan 22, 2020, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyjain
The CDI tach output is nothing else but the signal from the hall sensor mounted on the engine.
If in doubt, you may use a Y on that wire before the CDI and use it. I have run Tacho's like that for years before the CDI's had a tach out.
That make perfect sense when you explain it that way - thanks Mate
Jan 22, 2020, 02:44 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicbone

read the config file but i believe it only can handle one rpm input on pin 8
Jan 23, 2020, 02:03 AM
Whoops was it always in 2 bits
Quote:
read the config file but i believe it only can handle one rpm input on pin 8
That was my take too from the config file, just thought I may have missed something.

Openxsensor does seem very configurable but for me I think I need to have just the libraries that control the replication of various sensors and code what data I want to send over them. Thanks for pointing to it though, not sure how I'd not seen it before !
Feb 01, 2020, 03:22 AM
Status update: wired up an FrSky RPM sensor to my 50cc DLE this morning with capacitor inline and bingo - engine telemetry on board. Just waiting for the postie to bring a few Arduino boards to have a go at making my own

Quick Reply