Oct 18, 2004, 11:20 PM
Thread OP

FlyRC Magazine Horse Fly pull out plan build

This will be my first build thread. Hopefully it will reach fruition before the build contest deadline at the end of the month. I have my doubts though, as I am not a fast builder and cannot seem to ignore the little details. Just ask Dave.

The Horse Fly plans included with the magazine looked like something I might like to tackle as soon as I saw them. When I had them enlarged, I was surprised at how big this biplane will be when completed. It should prove to be an interesting adventure and I'll try to keep the thread updated as the build progresses. I'm sure someone else out there has decided to give it a go, so don't hesitate to jump in with your progress as well. Wish me luck!

Paul
Last edited by cadmanpilot; Oct 18, 2004 at 11:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2004, 11:30 PM
Molded Hotliner Destroyer
That looks nice. Fly-RC is very slow to Australia, I subscribed 2 months ago and haven't got an issue yet! The last one in the newsagent was October, and they should have November soon. Looks like it will be another month or so before we see the December issue, but when I do, that looks like a nice plane to build.
Oct 18, 2004, 11:49 PM
I was looking just this afternoon at that plan and was wondering what multiple to use enlarging this plan. I put the rule to it and it is not quite half size. what is the actual ratio?
Oct 19, 2004, 07:35 AM
Thread OP
willin,

The plan sheet specifies to enlarge the plan 185% to reach full size. I considered reducing that so that the 3/32 thick wood would need to be 1/16 and using the LPS power system instead on the IPS. I may do that at a later date, but will proceed for now with the full size model. Hope to make some real progress tonight. I'll post some photos if I do.

Paul
Oct 19, 2004, 12:05 PM
What issue of FLY RC? What is the span on the printed plan before it is enlarged?
Oct 19, 2004, 02:24 PM
Thread OP
tiberius,

It's from the December issue. The wingspan before enlargement is approx 18.25 inches.

Paul
Oct 19, 2004, 03:19 PM
Ooooh!

Thanks.
Oct 19, 2004, 03:41 PM
Looks good keep us updated.

On the magazine being slow - yes it is! I get it late regularly, have two missing issues (they are always good about replacements). New company and a great rag. I will give them a break.

Mike
Oct 19, 2004, 06:30 PM
cadmanpilot,

I considered building this plane too, but not right now.

I was curious about the power system too and thought I would point this out so that I might get your opinion. You said you wanted to reduce the size of the plane in order to use the LPS power system instead of the IPS. I know the plan calls for the IPS, but look closely at the photo of the motor on the text side of the plan. That certainly looks like the LPS motor and gearbox to me. It definitely isn't an IPS gearbox. What's the deal?

Just something to consider...

Davis
Oct 19, 2004, 07:54 PM
Thread OP
Davis,

I also saw the drawing of the motor and wondered whether it was a correct depiction. I'm thinking that the overall flying weight of 8 oz would be too much for the LPS motor, I may be wrong. The text states the use of the IPS-DX2BB for the power plant and that sounds about right. It should be a perfect match as mine will probably weigh more than the target weight. I have the brushless replacement motor in my Tiger Moth gear box right now and it is such a sweet upgrade. My Moth has never been so fun to fly. I plan on moving that power plant to the Horse-Fly if possible.

Paul
Oct 19, 2004, 08:29 PM
Paul,

I'm glad to hear that good report on the IPS-size brushless. I want to try it in a project I have in mind. I may also put one on my LiteStik. I know it sounds crazy to put a $100 power system on a $15 plane, but I fly my LiteStik so much that I burn up motors rather quickly - so it may actually be more economical. What gearbox and prop are you using with it in your Tiger Moth?

Your thoughts on the IPS in the Horse-Fly sound about right. I was just curious about that photo and wondered what was up with it. Perhaps I'll email Fly RC and see if they respond.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Davis
Oct 19, 2004, 09:34 PM
What...me worry?
Cool! This one caught my eye as well, and it is filed in my "to do" box. This little guy has great lines. I'm glad someone decided to do it and post the build. I'll be watching with interest.

Thx!
Oct 19, 2004, 11:16 PM
Thread OP
Davis,

I'm thinking of using the standard gearbox from the Tiger Moth. I think it's 5.9 to 1. The plan calls for the 9 x 7 prop and that is what I use on the Tiger Moth also. I still need to get an equivalent weighted lipo battery similar to the 7 cell 190mAh NiCd that is suggested on the plan to keep my balance point the same. It will probably be a 2s1p 700 or something similar.

I made some progress tonight, not as much as I would have liked but it was a start just the same. I worked on the right upper wing section. I don't plan on making a career out of it but I will try to keep it neat. I'll keep studying the fuselage plan while I work on the wings to try and develop a plan of attack. There are more tiny stick than I would have liked in that part. I may make some changes but I don't think any will be too drastic. Hopefully another progress report tomorrow.

Paul
Oct 20, 2004, 11:27 PM
Thread OP
Today's Progress

The top wing is just about finished. I still have some sanding and final assembly. The bottom wing will be next and then on to the fuse and vertical stab/rudder and horizontal stab/elevator. Those parts have thin laminations that form the rounded shapes. That will be a first for me. I'm not sure what my covering scheme will be. I don't think I want to do it clear though, maybe a transparent color of two.

Paul
Oct 21, 2004, 06:00 PM
What is your tool of choice for cutting the holes? I have a set of forstner bits, but am not very impressed.

Quick Reply