Kingcraft 1200mm Pitts S-2B - RC Groups
May 08, 2017, 01:33 PM
DFS#000178
Discussion

Kingcraft 1200mm Pitts S-2B

Surprised there's nothing on this yet. Reportedly the first in a new premium line of balsa planes from HobbyKing.

Good God it's gorgeous.

Features:
Scale reproduction of the famous Pitts special aerobatic 3D sports plane
Almost ready to fly model
Traditionally built balsa and plywood construction
Fiberglass and color-matched cowl, wheel spats and pants
Detailed cockpit with instruments and scale pilot
Stunning scheme modeled off a full-scale version
Large battery hatch to access your Lipo battery and electronics
Scale rigging wires
Light yet strong aluminum landing gear

Specs:
Wingspan: 1200mm
Length: 1100mm
Weight: Flying Weight: 2980grm (4S 5000mah)

Required:
1 x Minimum 4ch Transmitter and receiver
1 x 3700~5000 4S Lipo battery
1 x 60~80A Electronic Speed Controller
1 x 42mm Brushless Outrunner Motor (800W)
1 x 70mm Spinner
4 x Metal gear digital servos
Tools and adhesives to complete an ARF

Link

If this really is the first in a new line of balsa planes, HK's stepping up their game. It's pricey but it's also gorgeous. Look at the cockpit details..!

to remove ads between posts
May 08, 2017, 08:13 PM
Looks really nice but will cost approx 275 to get airborne which seems a bit much, you can get an eflite Prometheus with built in as3x bnf for around the same money. No building just bind it and go
Real shame as I was really interested.
May 08, 2017, 08:54 PM
DFS#000178
Added stuff together real quick.

USD:

Plane: $253.40 (after logging in)
Motor: $35.58
ESC: $29.97
Servos: $57.80 ($14.45 each)
Spinner: $18.99
Receiver: $39.99

$435.73 ready to fly.

That's not bad at all for a quality scale balsa ARF this size.

The Prometheus was $500, wasn't it? $499? It's on sale right now, probably being discontinued. And it requires 6S packs.
May 09, 2017, 08:42 AM

Videos (Hobbyking)

Introducing Kingcraft - A New Balsa ARF Brand from HobbyKing (1 min 42 sec)

Kingcraft Pitts Special - HobbyKing Product Video (1 min 33 sec)
May 09, 2017, 08:43 AM
AA6JB
Lovin' the level of detail in the cockpit!
Latest blog entry: 2017 Reno Air Races
May 09, 2017, 11:45 AM
Will be interesting to see how much weight is needed in the nose to get this to balance. The recommended motors range from 200-330 grams. I have an e-flite power 46 which needs a home so I am going to try it out on this plane. My 30" pitts S2 needed an ounce of weight added to the nose to get it to balance but don't know if that was due to the construction or typical of this air frame.

The recommended servos vary quite a bit in size as well.

The only concern I have is the hardware that will be used. I have one of HK's pietenpols and while it is a real nice balsa plane the hardware was less than good in some cases. The blind nuts for mounting the wing were poorly machined and very hard to keep them spinning in the soft balsa they were mounted to when threading the bolts in them.

Hope to have one in hands soon so I can figure out what is what.
May 09, 2017, 11:46 AM
Sucker for biplanes
Just saw this Pitts, very impressed. I may have to pull the trigger on this one. I have 3 large scale Pitts, great planes 1/3, Sky Shark 29% and a Cermark 27%. This Pitts would nice for something a little smaller and easy to set up being electric.
Latest blog entry: Hobbyzone sport cub
May 09, 2017, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora
Lovin' the level of detail in the cockpit!
Normally I couldn't care less about cockpit detail but your right... the pics of the cockpit look fantastic.
May 09, 2017, 12:16 PM
DFS#000178
Looks like it's got fiberglass control horns like the LittleFoot with ball links. That's pretty sweet in and of itself.
May 09, 2017, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcarp
Looks really nice but will cost approx 275 to get airborne which seems a bit much, you can get an eflite Prometheus with built in as3x bnf for around the same money. No building just bind it and go
Real shame as I was really interested.
You can't really compare a built up airframe with an eflite foamie. This looks aesthetically pleasing in its bright colour scheme, unlike the dull black of the Prometheus, and it won't turn into gator skin when the sun comes out. I've had two Carbon Z Yaks and whilst the performance was top notch, the quality of the paint and airframes was, to be very kind, dire!
May 09, 2017, 03:35 PM
Sucker for biplanes
For the scale look of this Pitts I think $250 is worth it. Add a motor, ESC, and servos it's like any other ARF. I'm just trying to talk myself into buying it🤑🤑
May 09, 2017, 03:45 PM
I should have one of these in hand in the next few days. I'm terrible at reviewing but if anyone has specific questions I'll be happy to answer those.
May 09, 2017, 04:06 PM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy_fo
I should have one of these in hand in the next few days. I'm terrible at reviewing but if anyone has specific questions I'll be happy to answer those.
Do a build log!
May 09, 2017, 05:00 PM
Terror of the Skies
Yes.. I'll be following.

It is particularly beautiful.

Would like to know your impressions of the hardware it comes with.
May 09, 2017, 05:24 PM
Sucker for biplanes
I just ordered one as well. I couldn't help it, it's a beautiful looking Pitts. Have to see what I have around for the build.