The all new Explorer 3.8 meter F5J - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 07, 2017, 05:01 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
Build Log

The all new Explorer 3.8 meter F5J

This thread is for the build log and discussion of the all new Explorer 3.8 meter F5J plane from NAN Models. PLEASE,,,,,,,, help me keep this thread ON TOPIC!

For those that must know, here are the empty parts weight:

Fuse = 132.6 g
H stab = 34.3 g
V stab = 26.8 g
R tip = 147.4 g
L tip = 148.1 g
Center panel = 288.6 g

Total = 777.8 g or 27.43 oz

I had to add that up a couple of times just to make sure I didn't leave anything out. WOW

I plan on using all 6110/6100 MKS HV servos, Castle Edge Lite 50 amp ESC, Ultra guard battery backup system, aluminum motor mount, GM 14X7 prop, and a motor. Which motor is YTBD.

Stay tuned!

Jim
to remove ads between posts
May 07, 2017, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Frahm
I had to add that up a couple of times just to make sure I didn't leave anything out. WOW

Jim
Hi,

Joiners?

Br,

Jyrki
May 07, 2017, 05:40 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
I forgot the joiners.

22 grams for the pair.
May 07, 2017, 06:24 PM
Is that the x1 airfoil
May 07, 2017, 07:28 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ustowman1
Is that the x1 airfoil
I believe so. I'll compare it to an X 2.5 wing later today.
May 07, 2017, 07:44 PM
Jim, it's very confusing to try and understand what a "new" Xplorer/Explorer is. Your picture showing all the parts intermingled with an Aloha is perhaps emblematic of the confusion caused by trying to sort out the various generations and sizes of these ships. Is there a family tree one can refer to?

Randy
May 07, 2017, 08:24 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
The joiner and alignment pins on the old tips do not match the new center panel and the new center panel appears thinner than the old center panel.

Jim
May 07, 2017, 08:25 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Reynolds
Is there a family tree one can refer to?

Randy

That's a NAN question. I lost track after the 2016 version of 2.5.

Jim
May 07, 2017, 08:40 PM
Ok, an answer would probably take you far off topic anyway.
May 08, 2017, 02:08 AM
1 revolution and throw!
Quote:
I'm still waiting on the wing servo frames to come in so I'll start with the fuse servos and tray.
You leave no room for ballast?
May 08, 2017, 04:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krikkens
You leave no room for ballast?
Auch :-( This plane moves well compared to the ultra light wing loading, but having possibility for a small ballast greatly increases its flexibility. I would say a possibility to ballast is a must! I use about 250g to cope 5m/s wind. After that conventional F3J based Xplorer is fine. A heavy ballast is not very practical in Explorer because of light low power motor setup and weak wing structure.
May 08, 2017, 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Reynolds
Jim, it's very confusing to try and understand what a "new" Xplorer/Explorer is. Your picture showing all the parts intermingled with an Aloha is perhaps emblematic of the confusion caused by trying to sort out the various generations and sizes of these ships. Is there a family tree one can refer to?

Randy
Xplorer refers to the planes that have F3B based airfoil (X2 airfoil, X3 is same airfoil with round tips). Explorer is a new airfoil specially designed for F5J. Explorer works fine with low wing loadings, Xplorers noid a little higher AUW to fly well.

Fuselage and tail is the same. Explorer comes with much lighter fuse structure.

Having flown virtually all Xplorers since F3J X1, I would say Explorer is one of the most significant milestones in the evolution
May 08, 2017, 05:43 AM
1 revolution and throw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo
Auch :-( This plane moves well compared to the ultra light wing loading, but having possibility for a small ballast greatly increases its flexibility. I would say a possibility to ballast is a must! I use about 250g to cope 5m/s wind. After that conventional F3J based Xplorer is fine. A heavy ballast is not very practical in Explorer because of light low power motor setup and weak wing structure.
that's indeed what i meant .... light planes shouldn't be ballasted up heavely to cope with high winds , indeed the propulsion one chooses to get it lightweight isn't sufficient as is the structure on such light planes.
But adding some ballast when thermals are strong and moderate winds takes them far away is needed in my opinion aswell .
otherwise it's a plane good for dead conditions and with a handicap for a little more active conditions...
May 08, 2017, 05:44 AM
1 revolution and throw!
Quote:
This thread is for the build log and discussion of the all new Explorer 3.8 meter F5J plane from NAN Models. PLEASE,,,,,,,, help me keep this thread ON TOPIC!

Jim
sorry