May 06, 2017, 08:36 PM
Back in the game
Discussion

Waypoint crash

Hi,

I have been using vectors for quite sometime for fixed wing. I recently started experimenting with waypoints. Today I had a crash where the plan didn't hold altitude and basically plummeted to the ground while going from one waypoint to another (in waypoint mode).

All of my waypoints are set at 80 meters so I would expect the plane to hold 80 meters when going from waypoint to waypoint. Is this not true?

I retrieved the vector and have the flight data. The plane started going down as soon as I entered waypoint mode, it didn't try to compensate with elevator input at all, the motor did enter cruise speed. By the time I clicked RTH (100m back home) it was too late and the plane crashed.

Loiter and RTH worked on that same flight perfectly.

Is there any scenario in which the vector does not hold the altitude of the waypoint when going to a waypoint?

No errors are recorded on the flight log.
to remove ads between posts
May 07, 2017, 01:16 AM
because rust never sleeps....
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying evader
Hi,

I have been using vectors for quite sometime for fixed wing. I recently started experimenting with waypoints. Today I had a crash where the plan didn't hold altitude and basically plummeted to the ground while going from one waypoint to another (in waypoint mode).

All of my waypoints are set at 80 meters so I would expect the plane to hold 80 meters when going from waypoint to waypoint. Is this not true?

I retrieved the vector and have the flight data. The plane started going down as soon as I entered waypoint mode, it didn't try to compensate with elevator input at all, the motor did enter cruise speed. By the time I clicked RTH (100m back home) it was too late and the plane crashed.

Loiter and RTH worked on that same flight perfectly.

Is there any scenario in which the vector does not hold the altitude of the waypoint when going to a waypoint?

No errors are recorded on the flight log.
What exact height was the aircraft at when you entered weightpoint mode. If too low, it could have reverted to RTH which would cause an attempted glide in from where it was.
May 07, 2017, 10:09 AM
Back in the game
I was at 105, higher than the planned 80m
May 07, 2017, 10:32 AM
because rust never sleeps....
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying evader
I was at 105, higher than the planned 80m
Sounds safe enough to avoid Vector deciding you are below "RTH height".

Have you looked at the logs, it should say what Vector was thinking at the time ?
May 07, 2017, 12:03 PM
Back in the game
These were the last:

46 : Pausing waypoint navigation, at 00:03:03.00, timestamp 183000
47 : Waypoint, at 00:03:03.50, timestamp 183500
May 08, 2017, 08:31 AM
Hello,

Can you open a support ticket and provide your log, config and waypoint files?

Regards, John
May 08, 2017, 09:14 AM
Back in the game
Sure thing. Thanks John.