May 14, 2017, 09:19 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Hey Damon,
Don't worry about responding to all us junkies, just keep the excellent work coming. C-130 is looking awesome, can't wait to see it fly. B-1B is going to be a wonderful teaching experience. So glad to have you back.
Rock on brother!

J
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2017, 11:28 AM
Wait what? Emma is in high school talking about college?
When did that happen? Last i saw she was a cute little girl in your B-36 thread!
Dude you're getting old!

al
May 15, 2017, 11:43 AM
Rock On- Damon Atwood
Thread OP

Dag 3d!

DAG 3D (22 min 49 sec)
Last edited by dag214; May 15, 2017 at 11:59 AM.
May 15, 2017, 12:39 PM
I don't do Normal
Nice Vid Dag I'm planning to get into 3D printing myself.
I Helped JMorgan with some 3D models on the EB66. One thing you forgot to mention was model thickness. It really easy to make your 3D models if you know how but there are limitations on how thin you can make them. The nozzle on your 3d printer can only go so thin before it can no longer print the model. Be aware of the minimum thickness of your 3D printer when creating your parts. I had to go over some of this stuff 3 times.

That was all done in AutoCAD by the way
May 15, 2017, 02:56 PM
Rock On- Damon Atwood
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky_d_brain
Nice Vid Dag I'm planning to get into 3D printing myself.
I Helped JMorgan with some 3D models on the EB66. One thing you forgot to mention was model thickness. It really easy to make your 3D models if you know how but there are limitations on how thin you can make them. The nozzle on your 3d printer can only go so thin before it can no longer print the model. Be aware of the minimum thickness of your 3D printer when creating your parts. I had to go over some of this stuff 3 times.

That was all done in AutoCAD by the way
Wow, very nice.

I think I will run a test at some different thicknesses and see how low I can go .

I will post results!!!

Rock ON!!!!!
Damon
May 15, 2017, 05:18 PM
3D printing is developing really quickly with some very capable and affordable printers.

I have been very interested in its use in modelling for some time now not just for cosmetic parts but lightweight structural components, take a look at my Comet build, I think this area and complete 3D printed planes provides some really good opportunities in our hobby
May 15, 2017, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalmer146
I think that would be J Morgan ( Or Mr. Morgan) on his and Sparky's B-52 thread!
Annd you're right... But he was looking for 40mm edf's, so I blew it all around....
May 15, 2017, 09:33 PM
When cows fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneg8d
Annd you're right... But he was looking for 40mm edf's, so I blew it all around....
What do I know...nothing I aspire to build like John and Sparky and Dag and....the list could go on and on! But build mostly in the foamy scratchbuilt forum But my crashes are pretty cool Plus I have my own 800 acre controlled airspace Cold Ass Ranch Airforce!
May 16, 2017, 05:47 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Another great vid from Prof. Atwood! Of course it just reinforced the fact to me that I won't be getting a 3D printer, way too complicated for this old dog. Let's see, 13 years of learning CAD, that means I can start printing parts when I'm 83!
Thanks again Dag, very informative.

J
May 16, 2017, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
Another great vid from Prof. Atwood! Of course it just reinforced the fact to me that I won't be getting a 3D printer, way too complicated for this old dog. Let's see, 13 years of learning CAD, that means I can start printing parts when I'm 83!
Thanks again Dag, very informative.

J
You've got a bit of a following who (I'm sure) would be happy to do a lot of the cad for you. TBH basic instrument panels don't require a great depth of cad skills.
May 16, 2017, 02:38 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmracer
You've got a bit of a following who (I'm sure) would be happy to do a lot of the cad for you. TBH basic instrument panels don't require a great depth of cad skills.
WR,
While I certainly appreciate that thought, I feel like I lean on enough people already.
Heck, nothing wrong with the old fashioned way, just not as pretty and harder to do.

J
May 16, 2017, 03:44 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
WR,
While I certainly appreciate that thought, I feel like I lean on enough people already.
Heck, nothing wrong with the old fashioned way, just not as pretty and harder to do.

J
Plus not only do you have friends that can do the designs for you but also the prints. That's what the John Morgan Army is here for

- Birger
May 16, 2017, 04:34 PM
71% of the world is runway . .
Thanks for taking the time to make that video ! This awnsers many of the questions i had.

I'm working on a Dornier Do24k 1/10th scale and concidering to 3d print some of the details.
Already had a friend print my dummy Wright Cyclone R1820 on his hobby printer.

I'm using Rhino3d for my design work ,are you familiar with that program ? on the video you explain how to get from idea to printed part using both autocad ad 3ds max. The steps you mention can all be done in Rhino and directly be exported in a .stl file. Rhino is not difficult to use. (i know because i manage to do it )

Kind regards,

Bart
May 16, 2017, 09:33 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen
Plus not only do you have friends that can do the designs for you but also the prints. That's what the John Morgan Army is here for

- Birger
I know for a fact that your time is limited with all you have on your plate plus the new business and all. But certainly appreciate the kind words and thoughts.
Now if you can get the guys laying tile for me in the family room to speed up, I would have time to build.

J
May 17, 2017, 05:09 AM
Rock On- Damon Atwood
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart83
Thanks for taking the time to make that video ! This awnsers many of the questions i had.

I'm working on a Dornier Do24k 1/10th scale and concidering to 3d print some of the details.
Already had a friend print my dummy Wright Cyclone R1820 on his hobby printer.

I'm using Rhino3d for my design work ,are you familiar with that program ? on the video you explain how to get from idea to printed part using both autocad ad 3ds max. The steps you mention can all be done in Rhino and directly be exported in a .stl file. Rhino is not difficult to use. (i know because i manage to do it )

Kind regards,

Bart
Thanks, Rhino from what I see is a bit pricey, unless I am looking at the wrong software.

One day I will step up from how I do it, I have also heard "Fusion 360" is great!

Thanks, Damon

Quick Reply