This thread is privately moderated by schrodingers cat, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 06, 2017, 07:18 AM
the people squad
Discussion

Tweaky - the people's frame and its variants

Rocket Quads Store

By the People. For the People.

Chief Developers:

Ian444
teracis

zappy 120 fpv frame 7,3g:

This thread is dedicated to to Tweaky 3 inch frame and its variants from Rocket Quads on the Armattan Productions site

zappy 120 fpv 3mm frame with sleds and clip

minky 90 16x16 2mm frame for 11xx motors
zappy 100 16x16 3mm frame for 11xx motors
zappy 100 16x16 2mm frame for 11xx motors
zappy 100 20x20 3mm frame for 11xx motors
zappy 100 20x20 2mm frame for 11xx motors
zappy 120 16x16 3mm frame for 11xx motors
zappy 120 20x20 3mm frame for 11xx motors
zappy 120 universal 3mm frame for 11xx motors
tweaky 120 3mm frame for 1402 motors
tweaky 3" 4mm Squish frame for 1106 motors

tweaky 120 4mm frame for 11xx motors
tweaky 120 3mm frame for 11xx motors (Brainstorm Edn)
tweaky 120 4mm frame for 14xx motors (BlackR0ck Edn)
tweaky 144 4mm frame for 14xx motors (Ian444 Edn)
tweaky 154 5mm frame for 14xx motors
tweaky 154 4mm frame for 14xx motors
zappy 100 3mm frame for 11xx motors
zappy 100 16x16 3mm frame for 11xx motors teracis edn)
minky 85 16x16 3mm frame for 1102 motors
minky 8516x16 2mm frame for 1102 motors
scooter 4" kit for 14xx motors

FC/ESC Covers:

zappy 16x16 cover in 1mm carbon fibre
zappy 20x20 cover in 1mm carbon fibre

Bexamous flying a tweaky 120 3mm:

Tweaky frame BH1106 GF2540x3 300mah 2S HGLRC F4 Zeus ESC+FC AIO (1 min 21 sec)

teracis behind the wheel of his 3D zappy:

BatteryPunishment (1 min 7 sec)

Ian444 flying one of his insanely fast zappy 100 los:

Zappy 100 2S 300mAh battery 9000Kv motors (1 min 44 sec)

Where it all started:

Tweaky was initially conceived as a lightweight one piece carbon fibre frame for 11xx motors and 3 inch props.
It is designed to use a 20x20 4-in-1 esc and a 20x20 flight controller

The frame was originally cut in 4mm carbon fibre, and this proved to be extremely strong.

Early version:

Original tweaky 120 frame in 4mm:

tweaky 154 with 1407 motors:

Tweaky Brainstorm Edition and BlackR0ck Edition

First variant to the original is the Tweaky Brainstorm, the same silhouette as the original, but cut in 3mm.
After some creative and sapient input from Brainstorm he agreed to test a prototype Tweaky cut in 3mm which is probably more than adequate for the small 11xx motors.

Next concept was an idea of BlackR0ck's to modify the frame to take the larger 13/14xx motors, cut in 4mm, maybe a 5mm version too.

Click here for 3mm Brainstorm Edition frame

Click here for 4mm 13/14xx 120 BlackR0ck Tweaky

Below, the original tweaky concept and then a couple of BlackR0ck's magnificent hand-finishing with his signature 1407 build
Last edited by schrodingers cat; Apr 27, 2018 at 11:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 06, 2017, 07:19 AM
the people squad

Reserved for Build components and setups

This is where we will have all the links to the components and suggestions for all builds, as well as some other "sticky" links containing handy stuff mentioned in this thread......

hopefully !

Zappy 100 20x20

Frame: zappy 100 20x20 3mm frame for 11xx motors
FC: I use this but this Furious F4 look the business too
ESC: I use this 6A 4 in 1 there is a 12A version too
Motors: 1104/5000kV Racerstar 1104/6500kV HGLRC 1104/7500kV
Battery: nanotech 2S 300 mAh
Props: Cheap black quad blade and my current choice: DYS 2435 quad blade makes zappy fly like a cut cat

Zappy 100 16x16

Frame:zappy 100 16x16 3mm frame for 11xx motors
FC: fishpepper tinyfish
ESC: fishpepper tinypepper 2S 4 in 1 esc
Motors: 1104/5000kV 1104/6500 kV 1104/7500kV
Battery: nanotech 2S 300 mAh
Props: Cheap black 4 blade and my current choice: DYS 2435 quad blade is 'tha bomb' on the higher kV setups
Last edited by schrodingers cat; Dec 19, 2017 at 08:16 AM.
May 06, 2017, 07:19 AM
the people squad

Tweaky Ian444 Edition and Tweaky 154

The next variation of tweaky is Ian444's suggestion to slightly lengthen the wheelbase of the 13/14xx frame

Love the way this quad handles and looks. This is a seriously fast frame, possibly a contender for the fastest 3" frame available

Click here for the Ian444 edition frame

Below is Ian's build:

Subsequently, the need for a true 4 inch Tweaky was met in the Tweaky 154. Available in 4mm and 5mm for 20x20 hardware and the Teracis edition for old fashioned 30.5x30.5 electronics. These frames are also designed for the 14xx motor pitch

Click here for tweaky 154 5mm frame
Click here for tweaky 154 4mm frame

Below is a beautiful rendition of the 154 in fpv form by Denovich:

Last edited by schrodingers cat; Jul 27, 2017 at 05:07 AM.
May 06, 2017, 07:25 AM
the people squad

The mighty zappy frame incl. the 16x16 teracis edition

The success and development of this frame must be credited to Ian444.

This is zappy 100, king of the micros

This is fast becoming a favourite, so much so that is really has claim to be the signature frame of this thread.

Ian444 has contributed enormously to the development of this frame, and single-handedly has taken it from a light-hearted concept to an astonishing performer.

Early zappy frames (4 hole motor mount)

Click here for Zappy 100 frame
Click here for Zappy 100 Teracis 16x16 frame

Latest zappy frames (V5 2 hole motor mount)

zappy 100 16x16 3mm frame for 11xx motors
zappy 100 16x16 2mm frame for 11xx motors
zappy 100 20x20 3mm frame for 11xx motors
zappy 100 20x20 2mm frame for 11xx motors
zappy 120 16x16 3mm frame for 11xx motors
zappy 120 20x20 3mm frame for 11xx motors
zappy 120 universal 3mm frame for 11xx motors

One of Ian444's (approx 60g) zappy 100 masterpieces:

The superb build of Zappy 16x16 Teracis Edition

Last edited by schrodingers cat; Apr 27, 2018 at 11:05 PM.
May 07, 2017, 02:05 AM
Brisbane, Australia

Tweaky Ian444 edition frame

Some may already know that I love this style of frame, it's great to see this blog thread SC. The fairly recent development of 4in1 esc's has allowed the development of thin arm frames, which IMO give a distinct performance advantage.

When you think about it, what would be the best way to make a quad perform poorly? I know, lets put some flat plate baffles right underneath the props! Yet this is how most quad frames are designed, with flat plate arms, and it has been proven to be an effective and strong platform, and makes for a good layout to place the esc's between the FC and the motors, it really is an intuitive and common sense design. But now we have compact 4in1 esc's, and the esc's don't have to go on the arms anymore, so this gives an opportunity to explore more aerodynamic possibilities. Drag and weight reduce performance, so it would be nice to try to reduce weight while reducing drag.

The Tweaky 144mm frame (Ian444 edition) started life as a question to SC "What's the frame size of the BlackROck? Will it fit 3.5" props? Looks very nice indeed. 12gm sure is light for 1407, you are on a roll, don't stop." Soon after that SC drew up the frame and I was lucky enough to be sent a prototype.

The Tweaky 144 frame weighs 14.0gm and is 4mm thick, arms are 4.3mm wide. Fitted with BH1407, Cicada 10A 4in1 esc, H8 mini blue FC, HQ4045 DD props and 650mAh 3S Tattu battery. What can I say, I've been flying it for about a month, it is very responsive, I ran 80% rates on the throttle stick until I got used to it. I can't think of anything to improve it, it simply rocks as is. Here's some pics:
Last edited by Ian444; May 09, 2017 at 05:50 AM.
May 09, 2017, 05:48 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Here's a pic of my Zappy 100mm, this frame is 3mm thick and weighs around 5gm. My choice of parts sort of goes against current trends by having low kv motors (5400kv) and a tiny 300mAh 2S battery. It weighs around 42gm without battery and just under 60gm with. Nothing gets more than just a bit warm, it has good flight time and goes like stink. Using silverware to fly it, with Dshot600 and telemetry for low battery voltage warning. The performance of this frame is outstanding, I never thought I would go back to 11XX motors and frames, but here I am, and loving it a lot. My builds from a year ago with similar running gear performed nothing like this one
May 14, 2017, 05:26 AM
Brisbane, Australia
I have 3 more frames to build up, 2 Zappy 100's and an experimental frame for 0806 motors (all cut by Dave). Been spending too much time rewinding some Racerstar 1104 motors for the first one and came to a halt on reassembly this afternoon. There is a bit too much preload on the bearings for my liking so I'll stop and think about it. The 1104's I've seen so far have single strand windings and wye terminated, there is probably not a lot to gain rewinding 1104's except to get a different kv from a set lying around that you wouldn't otherwise use. They take a fair bit longer to rewind than bigger motors too.

Instead, I'll build up the 3 frames all together with or without motors, but I am expecting 1106 motors to arrive any day and also have other (less desirable) motors I can fit, and have a set of 0806 motors on hand for the 0806 frame. I also ordered some of these to try on one of the Zappy 100 frames.

The Zappy 100 I have flying already is getting heaps of airtime and the tune has progressed a lot, and the pilot has progressed a bit too, much quicker reflexes are required. Speed and acceleration is outstanding, despite the small size. The limiting factor on range is eyesight, but with the tune improving, confidence grows to fly it right to the boundaries and rely on "I know where it's going to be". If I go too far it's "God, I hope I know what I'm doing".
Last edited by Ian444; May 14, 2017 at 05:32 AM.
May 14, 2017, 10:50 AM
the people squad
I'm really keen to see how those 0806 motors go, I reckon your frame design is a touch stronger too. I've found that flying the small fast frames makes for really good practice, I feel that the motor skills progress more quickly than with the larger frames.

I've also been thinking of doing a T144 Ian frame in 5mm and profiling the arms so that the top of the arms (where the wires run) is flat and then the bottom of the arm tapers to a point, making a triangle in profile. Then a small half drinking straw can be put over the wires making a proper aerofoil. Thanks to BlackR0ck, the thought of shaping the solid carbon has got me thinking
May 14, 2017, 11:39 AM
the people squad

Scooter 4 inch

Scooter, 4 inch ultra-lightweight frame with easily replaceable arms:

Click here for Scooter (4mm) kit
Click here for 6 x Scooter 3mm arms
Click here for 6 x Scooter 4mm arms
Click here for Scooter Centre Plates

Crazy as is with 4mm arms and insane light (and fragile) with 3mm arms, this is still a personal favourite
Does anyone want to try 5mm arms and a FPV racing rig and really see what this frame can do once 20x20 escs really start to deliver the juice??

Last edited by schrodingers cat; Jul 28, 2017 at 11:57 AM.
May 18, 2017, 03:21 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrodingers cat
I've found that flying the small fast frames makes for really good practice, I feel that the motor skills progress more quickly than with the larger frames.
I have found the same for sure, also I'm flying more radically with the little ones because I can do it without making a rukkus of noise and scaring people, or being worried about hitting objects, third parties etc since I partly "share" my flying area with humans and cars (its a dead end street in a quiet village). 60gm flying through the air is pretty light, and basically immune to Oz law due to <100gm.

The performance is still surprising me and I'm not flying the 4" and 5" quads much the last few weeks. While I was waiting for the Zap100 frames I fitted some new bearings to some thrashed DYS 1104 6500kv motors and put those into an Awesome E90 frame that I bought from BG some time ago just to check it out (it's a thin arm frame). Mostly I wanted to test the motors and have a backup for the one Zap100 I had. I cut the front and back short off the baseplate and built it like a Zappy. The motors are pretty good and today I'm wondering why I bought 3 more sets of motors that AREN'T DYS 1104 6500kv I think the extra 10mm wheelbase of the Zappy is good. The Awe E90 has a few reports of snapping arms at the motor base, you can see why when you look at the design.

I haven't been able to find any better props than 2-blade RX2535, I think they are a classic good prop like the RX3040T. I don't think I even need a better prop, sometimes I have a really good setup and only know how good it is when everything else I try is worse. I only bought 2 batteries for the first Zappy100, both 300mAh 2S 45-90C nano-tech. Now I want another 2 or 3 at least but they've been out of stock in Oz and global warehouses for a while. I check the website every day to get in early when they arrive. I have some 80C 350mAh and 400mAh's coming on the slow boat and see how they go, but they are going to add weight and I'm really trying to avoid that. Even if there is more power, with the extra weight, it may or may not be better but who knows until you try it.
May 18, 2017, 01:09 PM
Great to see you've started up a blog for your frames, Dave.

Totally agree with these smaller frames sharpening up your reflexes. I love the way you can fly them hard in relative safety when space is confined. I do find them more tricky to be as precise when flying, compared with the bigger quads. I think this is in part due to the way power is delivered from small props as well as less inertia and harder for your eyes!

Think I'm set on 3 quad blades running on 1306 motors for my Tweaky when I get it built up so it's not gonna be a lightweight but I like the control of quad blades.
May 18, 2017, 06:55 PM
the people squad
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR74
Great to see you've started up a blog for your frames, Dave.

Totally agree with these smaller frames sharpening up your reflexes. I love the way you can fly them hard in relative safety when space is confined. I do find them more tricky to be as precise when flying, compared with the bigger quads. I think this is in part due to the way power is delivered from small props as well as less inertia and harder for your eyes!

Think I'm set on 3” quad blades running on 1306 motors for my Tweaky when I get it built up so it's not gonna be a lightweight but I like the control of quad blades.
Hey Tim,

I'll be really interested to hear how that goes, and also to see some pictures. Do you have a Blackrock frame or am I right in thinking that the motors you're talking about have a small 11xx bolt pattern?
I still like the idea of Ian's 144 frame when running the bigger motors, the extra wheelbase helps the handling. I'll be cutting myself another 144 frame soon, and when I do I'll cut a sample for you too mate
I've been thinking more about streamlining the arms too and reckon that if I get the smallest, thinnest cf tube and cut that in half down the length of it I could glue that "arch" to the top of each arm, providing both streamlining and a cavity for motor wires, and then on the bottom of the arms make a (cf 0.5mm sheet) V shape to complete the teardrop. What do you and Ian think? Do you guys have any suggestion as to the glue to use, I'm thinking that the black cyno stuff would go well. Also a third benefit would be that it adds strength to the arms, not unlike the hollow arm ideas you were thinking of Tim. Incidentally, this technique would be better suited to higher powered quads where every 1/10th of a gram is not so critical.
So having said that, I'm wondering what is the smallest od/thinnest wall tube available
I wonder if DShafer would be interested, this technique may be good for asr attempts...

Totally agree with you too Ian as regards the quieter/less offensive nature of the small quads, along with the fact that I seem to be more willing to take risks with the smaller quads, hence learn more quickly. And you're right also in that when going back to a larger quad it seems easier. These days I'll always start my flying with a little quad and then progress to the larger quads; it's the perfect warm-up. I notice too that I usually go back to the small quads at the end of the day because they just put a smile on my face, and they are crazy fast for their size anyway. If I were ever to do a demonstration, I'd use a tweaky (probably the 144) purely for the fact that overall, they have the greatest bang-for-buck.

Ian did you see these ThunderPower 2S batteries at Phaser in Aus they might be just what you're after. I have some of the eachine 2S batteries from Phaser and they're really good in the 11xx tweaky
Last edited by schrodingers cat; May 19, 2017 at 10:41 AM.
May 19, 2017, 09:47 AM
The frame I have is 4mm thick, and for 13/14XX motors, 12x12mm PCD.

The profiled arms sound good for an efficient speed machine, maybe a little fiddly to construct but I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem for a man of your building prowess I've not used the black rubberised CA yet, but this could be a suitable application... The smallest thin wall (0.5mm) tube I've come across is 6x5mm which I guess would still be a little large?? Ian, am I correct in thinking you had a batch of smaller woven tube specially made for you?. I've seen one or two of the Chinese companies selling on eBay say they can make custom sizes.
May 19, 2017, 10:45 AM
the people squad
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR74
The frame I have is 4mm thick, and for 13/14XX motors, 12x12mm PCD.

The profiled arms sound good for an efficient speed machine, maybe a little fiddly to construct but I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem for a man of your building prowess I've not used the black rubberised CA yet, but this could be a suitable application... The smallest thin wall (0.5mm) tube I've come across is 6x5mm which I guess would still be a little large?? Ian, am I correct in thinking you had a batch of smaller woven tube specially made for you?. I've seen one or two of the Chinese companies selling on eBay say they can make custom sizes.
Yeah I hear you, I think I would be more appropriate for a 200mm or larger frame, at least in the outset..
May 20, 2017, 03:38 PM
Brisbane, Australia
I got some 4x3mm tubes made not that long ago, you are welcome to some Dave if you want to use them. I was thinking at some stage of using depron foam to make a nice trailing edge, and mounting the wires on top of the arm in a pyramid fashion, and covering them with a length of tape. That might give an indication of the benefits. If clear contact was used instead to cover the wires, arm and trailing edge, that might be a better finish and hold the depron in place nicely.

It's always too easy to discount the benefits of aerodynamic improvements, but each and every step seems to bring a good result. Maybe there is a point of no return but I have no idea where it is.

I did get some plates made for vertical arms cut by berzerk rc some time back but have only partially assembled the frame. The idea is for fast forward flight with the battery on top. It's going to be a heavy 4" frame and is low priority at the moment. The extra weight is not really a good idea and is probably damping my enthusiasm for this frame. However, I fully intend to build it eventually just out of curiosity.

Quick Reply