This thread is privately moderated by old4570, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 06, 2017, 12:21 AM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

DW Rainbow 2 flying wing ( Part 2 )

Rainbow2 part 2 (4 min 23 sec)

Well I stuffed up , I don't know what happened ?
Instead of turning the camera on , I was turning the camera off ! ( My bad )
product page DW Rainbow2 Flying wing

So here we go !

The wing is 3 piece , and has some 6 carbon spars that need to be glued in place ( That's what I did today ) Video shows me gluing in a carbon spar .
I did want to document the entire build but stuffed up ..

First thing I did was hot glue the wings together .. ( Actually hot glue makes for an excellent bond )
I got the left side perfect , but got the alignment wrong on the right by about 1.5mm ( Spar cuts )
Seriously , hot glue holds very tight - I had to cut the panel off with a knife and re - hot glue !

2nd times a charm , the wing is fantastic - really straight !

Next came gluing in the spars , I used 5 minute epoxy for this ..
The epoxy did dissolve some of the print of the wings ( Cheap epoxy ) ...

Now the resulting wing is very straight , the assembly was extremely simple ( very noob friendly process ) and I can see how instructions would only need to be very basic ( The included instructions dont really cover wing assembly at all ) , but it is very much bush league ( assembling the wing )

1) Put the pieces you want to glue on the table , test fit ( push them together ) check alignment !
2) Apply hot glue to one side , then push the the parts together making sure to align correctly
3) Carefully check to see if you glued the wing to the table , if you have , very gently ply lose from the table ..
With hot glue the process takes 30 seconds , if that long .. And the bond is excellent ..

Installing the carbon spars :

I used a knife to cut through the glue lines ( where the wing was glued together ) to get the spar to seat correctly ...
After some test fitting to make sure the carbon spars sit deep enough in the foam , I apply glue and place them in the wing one at a time ...
Try and do all of them , and you may find a spar or two lifting out of its grove ..

I guess foam safe cyno would be the go here , would make fitting spars very quick and painless .

And that is where I am up to , the wing is glued , the spars are in , and the ply fuse was hot glued for test fitting ..
Hmmm , the engine mount ( ply ) looks a little small for the motor I had in mind ...

Just going to let the wing ( epoxy cure ) ..
Then I might do the servos / control horns / and the ply fuse ...

Though I might want to fit a motor first , and all I have ATM is a 2212 2400kv that might be good on 2s ...
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply