R/C Paramotor Carts - Introduction and How-To - RC Groups
May 05, 2017, 05:28 PM
R/C Air Adventures
Build Log

R/C Paramotor Carts - Introduction and How-To

Howdy!

Now that we have the wing construction down pat, it's time to make the cart! I will explore R/C Paramotor carts and show you how to build one and perform the setup for your very own wing. The first video is on the way, so stay tuned!

-James
to remove ads between posts
May 05, 2017, 06:04 PM
R/C Air Adventures

Introduction to R/C Paramotor Carts - Video 1

Hey, all -

The first video is up! In this episode, we will go over some of the broad characteristics of the carts and talk a little about controls. I'll show you a couple of versions, one purchased and one built.

Next time, we will dig deeper into the cart design and look some options for construction.

Enjoy!

Introduction to R/C Paramotor Carts (11 min 59 sec)
May 05, 2017, 10:06 PM
James, the video was very informative! Looking forward to the next one.
May 09, 2017, 01:57 AM
R/C Air Adventures
Thanks - I'm glad it was helpful! In a few days I should have part 2 up. In that video, we'll look at some different construction approaches and define some of the critical dimensions and equipment requirements.

Stay tuned!
May 12, 2017, 11:35 AM
R/C Air Adventures

Paramotor Carts - Part 2

Hey, all!

Part 2 of the Paramotor Cart series is up!

In this video we will explore some of the critical dimensions of your cart and look at a couple of basic design philosophies. We will also talk about how the wing parameters relate to the cart and discuss power. As always, please feel free to ask questions and provide feedback!

-James

R/C Paramotor Carts Part 2: Dimensions and Characteristics (19 min 11 sec)
May 13, 2017, 04:03 AM
James, thanks again for some really good info. Just one quick question: With your bigger 3m wing, what size propeller and anti-torque ring do you use to get the scale right? I am trying to understand what size motor, prop and battery combination will work for the bigger 3m wing and will try and work it out according to your advice in the video

On the Esprit site it looks like there is only one size anti-torque ring
Last edited by Johan9; May 13, 2017 at 04:34 AM.
May 13, 2017, 05:54 PM
R/C Air Adventures
Johan -

Yes, they only have an anti-torque ring for the Trike M. Any larger or smaller, and it is really not necessary. I will not be using an anti-torque ring on the 3M wing. I will be running a 15" prop on a Turnigy 5045-650kV motor and 4 or 5s LiPo (so using a 16" prop ring). This should give somewhere around 1000-1300W. The Riser separation for the 3m wing is 25cm and the riser height is 15cm. I am working on a cart design now - I should also be able to get some plans out in the next few weeks as well for the wing.

With a 16" prop ring and assuming about a 24 sq. m. full scale wing, this puts the scale factor somewhere around .14, which is pretty close to the .16 of a full-scale.

I'll try to get some info on the 3-meter wing out soon. I have so many videos on my 'to-do' list it is sometimes hard to decide what to do!

Thanks!

-James
May 14, 2017, 12:40 AM
R/C Air Adventures
Working on the new 3-meter cart prototype tonight and nearly busted my vise right off the bench... So, I had to take a couple of hours and cobble together a metal rod bender. Seems to work ok for plate and bar stock, too. My puny 80amp welder really isn't enough to weld the 1/4" steel, but if you throw enough welding rod at it. . .

I was able t o duplicate one of the parts in just a couple of minutes - all the parts were from an old power wheelchair that I got for free on Craigslist!
May 14, 2017, 04:40 AM
Thanks for the info James. Learning a lot here. In your first video you mention that the weight of the cart for the LuteFisk wing is aroung 2kg. What will the max. overall weight be for your 3m wing cart you are currently building including batteries?

I am just converting some of your dimensions into metric and if using an anti-torque ring, the ring will be 400mm in diameter. So this cart is going to be pretty big.

If you are not using a torque ring, how do you keep the lines from the prop during launching? I believe you will still have some sort of a cage ring to protect the prop same as the larger carts from Opale?
Last edited by Johan9; May 14, 2017 at 05:00 AM.
May 14, 2017, 11:57 AM
R/C Air Adventures
Yes, there will be a prop cage, just not an anti-torque prop ring. The one from Opale is special in that it counters some of the prop torque. You should always have a cage protecting the prop and lines. The larger models don't really need the anti-torque ring.

The cart/cage for the 3m wing will have a starting range of 6-7kg (13-15lb), so yes, pretty big! Also, it's not a 'max' weight - just a starting weight. As the wind speeds change, you will use more or less ballast to get the flight characteristics you want. In high winds, the cart might need to be as high as 8-9kg.
May 14, 2017, 10:41 PM
RC Paraglider / Sailplanes
Here's my home made backpack. It's an 18 inch ring. 15 inch 3-blade prop. The starting weight is 4.5kg and you can add as much as you want.

It's for my Opale Spiral 3.2. (4 meter wing)
Last edited by Charlescd; May 14, 2017 at 10:42 PM. Reason: spelling
May 15, 2017, 10:41 AM
R/C Air Adventures
Sweet! That's a great looking backpack!
May 15, 2017, 05:28 PM
Not difficult to make either and a lot less expensive than the 'large backpacks' sold by manufacturers.
May 16, 2017, 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlescd
Here's my home made backpack. It's an 18 inch ring. 15 inch 3-blade prop. The starting weight is 4.5kg and you can add as much as you want.

It's for my Opale Spiral 3.2. (4 meter wing)
Charlescd, what is the diameter (thickness) of the round steel you used for the ring and can you maybe give some dimensions (just width and thickness) of the plate you used for the backpack. I take it that the plate is aluminium?
May 16, 2017, 06:52 AM
When I get back home later today I'll put up the measurements. No aluminum -- all steel. You need the weight.