Jun 30, 2017, 05:53 PM
General R/C Addict

Blade Theory XL

Ok,

So this has rapidly moved to the TOP of my drone list for racing, as it handles like a dream and is a quite capable racer out of the box.

The problem I am having is my field is high grass, and I keep getting low enough to cut the grass and then this happens.

Any one know what I can do about this other than rain-ex on the lens and not cutting the grass?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 30, 2017, 05:57 PM
General R/C Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilsYuen
For someone that is coming back to racing after 4 years which one would be the best pick
This or the Vortex 150 pro ? any advise. There they are priced similarly. Thx
I have a Vortex 250 pro Umagaud and A Theory XL5 now.

I would think the XL5 would be your best bet IMHO.
Jun 30, 2017, 07:33 PM
I love the way my XL flies. I did do a little tuning on it but not much. I have about 50 flights on mine and no issues. I never had an Umagawd but this is way better then the standard Vortex Pro.
Aug 02, 2017, 09:20 PM
does anyone have the Stock CLI Dump ? I lost all factory P.I.D.s when doing an update
Aug 03, 2017, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick442
does anyone have the Stock CLI Dump ? I lost all factory P.I.D.s when doing an update
Think you might want to call Horizon hobby support techies for help restoring it. donnie
Aug 03, 2017, 01:50 PM

And further more

I note that this thread is really quite. Maybe because they all fly so well out of he box and are all but indestructible.. Mine is big time Sally fun to fly also LOS or goggles. donnie
Aug 10, 2017, 06:41 PM
Anyone doubting the Theory should really think again. I have a thrust Riot 250 pro which has an F4 FC with blheli-s esc running multishot, a Diatone gt200 stretch 2017 with a F3 with spi that's running d shot 600, and the theory just feels and handles better. It's way lighter than the gt200 and the Riot. The stretch frame rocks in handling so much better than a standard x or H frame. The motor are what I think as the sweet spot for torque and speed. Very durable and one of the best RTF quads I've flown. Even running one shot 125 lol! By the way, I just sent in my new gt200 stretch that had an esc go out on the first pack. And, first flight it acted like PIDs were way high with terrible occilations on mid throttle and above. Switched to another profile with lower PIDs fixed it, but then the esc went out. Don't think because this is a rtf that it's junk, very good build quality, good motors and great frame. Camera is only part that is in question, and it's still good for a cmos camera. I changed to a runcam mini and took me a little bit to get used to how much more out of focus a CCd camera really is. The cmos has better image quality but doesn't adjust to light as quick as CC'd. Flying with it is way better than the older cmos by far.
Aug 11, 2017, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotdirt
Anyone doubting the Theory should really think again. I have a thrust Riot 250 pro which has an F4 FC with blheli-s esc running multishot, a Diatone gt200 stretch 2017 with a F3 with spi that's running d shot 600, and the theory just feels and handles better. It's way lighter than the gt200 and the Riot. The stretch frame rocks in handling so much better than a standard x or H frame. The motor are what I think as the sweet spot for torque and speed. Very durable and one of the best RTF quads I've flown. Even running one shot 125 lol! By the way, I just sent in my new gt200 stretch that had an esc go out on the first pack. And, first flight it acted like PIDs were way high with terrible occilations on mid throttle and above. Switched to another profile with lower PIDs fixed it, but then the esc went out. Don't think because this is a rtf that it's junk, very good build quality, good motors and great frame. Camera is only part that is in question, and it's still good for a cmos camera. I changed to a runcam mini and took me a little bit to get used to how much more out of focus a CCd camera really is. The cmos has better image quality but doesn't adjust to light as quick as CC'd. Flying with it is way better than the older cmos by far.
Fully agree with this. It has become my go to FPV racer and I even prefer it to my spendy Vortex UMG. donnie
Sep 11, 2017, 01:47 AM
Will this work with my old DX8 and the FS Attitude V2?

Where can I find the transmitter setup for the old DX8?
Dec 30, 2017, 07:04 PM

DX8 Gen 1 setup

I second this. Any ideas?
Dec 30, 2017, 08:04 PM
Yes, yes I am.
Just ordered one. Horizon Hobby has an end of the year sale. $279!
Jan 02, 2018, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher
Just ordered one. Horizon Hobby has an end of the year sale. $279!
HobbyTown marked down to 279.00. Still priced on the shelf at 379.00. I showed the manager the online price and they honored it.
Jan 08, 2018, 12:32 PM
Yes, yes I am.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki4bbl
I second this. Any ideas?
I just got mine in. I've only been able to hover it in the house a little (just to prove it works). It's been too cold outside to fly yet. But it will warm up later this week.

You should be able to follow the instructions in the manual on page 4, there's not all that much to setup. No expo's, Just reverse aileron and rudder. Also set the travel to -150 to +150 on Throttle and -148 to +148 on Aileron, Elevator, and Rudder. The gear channel needs to be a 3 position switch and the Aux 1 channel will be a 2 position switch. I think you can assign those on the old DX8. Gear channel will control which mode you are in (stability is the first position, then the other 2 are rate modes except the 2nd position does a little bit of stabilizing). The Aux1 is your arm/disarm switch.

If you can set the frame rate to 11ms. Then I think that's about it.
Jan 09, 2018, 06:09 PM

Thanks!

I appreciate the feedback. I have been flying, and it works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher
I just got mine in. I've only been able to hover it in the house a little (just to prove it works). It's been too cold outside to fly yet. But it will warm up later this week.

You should be able to follow the instructions in the manual on page 4, there's not all that much to setup. No expo's, Just reverse aileron and rudder. Also set the travel to -150 to +150 on Throttle and -148 to +148 on Aileron, Elevator, and Rudder. The gear channel needs to be a 3 position switch and the Aux 1 channel will be a 2 position switch. I think you can assign those on the old DX8. Gear channel will control which mode you are in (stability is the first position, then the other 2 are rate modes except the 2nd position does a little bit of stabilizing). The Aux1 is your arm/disarm switch.

If you can set the frame rate to 11ms. Then I think that's about it.
Jan 15, 2018, 10:43 AM
Yes, yes I am.
Finally got out and got a couple flights on my Theory XL. I'm impressed! The climb is explosive and seems to be pretty fast. The CMOS camera is better than my Fox Eer HS1177 that's on my old quad. Slightly sharper picture and what I like the most is the colors don't over saturate especially when the sun is low. I turned the color way down on the HS1177 but it still oversaturated the colors under certain lighting conditions making it hard to see.

The CMOS camera is a little light on the color but much easier to see with.

(Keep in mind, I'm kind of a beginner with racing drones. I've had an RXD250 from Tower Hobbies which is sort of a beginner racing drone - 1806 motors with 10 amp ESC's running CC3D board. It was good for getting started in the hobby though).

This quad is quieter, faster, and feels more stable than the RXD250. Definitely an upgrade!

I love how simple it was to get going. Just create a model on my transmitter and set the settings according to the manual, bind, and go fly! Flies great right out of the box!

Quick Reply