May 14, 2017, 02:44 PM
The pin-vice has run off again
Thread OP
We are a left handed household, apart from the odd things we've been taught to do right handed where we are right handed - thankfully this doesn't include writing as it would have done several years ago.

Dion, Many thanks for that pic. That is lovely woodwork and if I get mine looking half as neat I will be pleased. are those small blocks retaining hinges? Would be great to see the rest of the plane.

Slept off a headache this morning so whilst still on the headache medicine I did some wire bending (some of you may know of my love of wire bending) - It hasn't gone too badly for a change and now have the wire elevator joiner made. What is the glue of preference for holding in the joiner? Before I have cheated on elevator joiners and bound them to a dowel instead.

Tail fin/rudder progressing but only at the unrefined stage.

vicky
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2017, 03:57 PM
Thanks Vicky. The build thread is over here, and I'm afraid my skills are average at best, but I do enjoy building probably more than flying, so I've been taking my time with this one and 'tinkering' with it since last Fall. Yes, extra balsa blocks for the hinge supports.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...e-Sparmann-P-1

Doesn't bending wire usually give one a headache?
May 15, 2017, 03:43 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweatherflyer
What is the glue of preference for holding in the joiner?

vicky
Epoxy!
May 15, 2017, 10:16 AM
Thread OP
Many thanks Mike,
The deed is now done. - on with the sanding. Have found it quite a satisfying way of building the tail so far.
May 17, 2017, 10:28 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
I've been a bit tardy in discovering that you've started the build of this most delightfully graceful of Mr Camm's designs..... but at least I've caught it before you've done too much. Coming on nicely, I'd say

May 18, 2017, 07:04 PM
Clancy
Love the able assistant. Got to keep these kids in the analog world some.
May 24, 2017, 08:42 AM
Thread OP
Some progress. Tail plane and elevator currently 3 grams lighter than when started sanding etc. - There is still sheeting to go on the centre part of the tail so not sure what weight it will end up. Haven't started 'holing ' anything other than the elevator so far. Reluctant to cut holes on the fin and rudder since this will probably only save a tiny amount, the core on that part being 1/32 rather than 1/16th.
Anyway feels bizarre to build up something with lots of care, admire it and then cut holes in it (even if done carefully)
It is slow progress as my build sessions on it by necessity are fairly short.
May 24, 2017, 09:42 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Very nice work indeed!

I'm with you - if you have used a 1/32" core, I would suggest that the amount of holes you would need to cut to make an appreciable difference to the weight may compromise the strength and/or warp resistance.

You could weigh a piece of the 1/32" sheet of a known area and calculate the holeage required to save a given weight; that way you could work out whether it's worth it.......... sorry, that's the engineer in me coming out again
May 24, 2017, 09:48 AM
Aka Magical Moonstone
Looking very neat anyway. If you take the centres out one side at a time I think you will be able to get a feel for the extent that rigidity is reduced, if at all. It would be interesting to get your impressions on that.

Happy chewing!
May 24, 2017, 11:32 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Every gram you save on the tail is 3 or 4 grams less ballast at the front end!
May 27, 2017, 09:44 AM
Thread OP
I weighed a sheet of 1/32 and 1/16th -it is only semi scientific as my scales are not perfect. Then I went back to the plans of the tail plane and fin and elevator and worked out how much it might be worth trying to take out compared to my spreadsheet of grams per sq inch of balsa. Was helpful as it made me a bit braver in making holes in it.
Net result is the tailplane, elevator, rudder and fin now weigh in at 33g. fin and rudder weigh 8g and tail plane and elevator that started at 31 g now weigh 25g.
Quite pleased with it - just need the rest of the plane to go with it now! Have enjoyed the little I have done on it so far.

Vicky
May 28, 2017, 04:34 AM
Nice DH tail, very distinctive.

Hawker Harts and Hinds had styling cues and their fuse had similar construction in the Hurricane's bones.

Dry weekend for flying or windy and wet like here?

Holiday tomorrow ( Monday ). Is your holiday Monday as well?

You have one at start and end of May.
David
May 28, 2017, 07:28 AM
Drill baby,drill. Or is it fettle?
May 28, 2017, 09:00 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistairjoe
Drill baby,drill. Or is it fettle?
should I be taking more out then?
May 28, 2017, 10:55 AM
The parts where it is sheathed you can pretty much take all of it out just be careful when applying the sheeting. The covered part it is just a matter of how comfortable you are with more removal. It is amazing and a constant struggle of deciding how little structure one needs once the covering is applied.

Quick Reply