May 04, 2017, 05:02 PM
Mr Solution
Thread OP
Discussion

The UMX Addiction

I'm not sure if there is a thread like this yet but I want to post my thoughts about being addicted to UMX planes. If anyone else feels they are addicted also, please post your story and pictures of your fleet. I know some of you have many many UMX planes...

Granted, these are my first planes ever. I came from starting out on Helicopters back in 2006.

Pros:
Easy to work on - I find them fun to work on.
Cheap to repair
Easy to travel with
The Box is a functional carrier
Easy modified
Slightly used ones for great prices.

2010 - Not addicted
My first UM planes were the Sukhoi SU-26XP and the UM P-51 from Parkzone. I modified both of them Brushless. They were a blast. I flew the Sukhoi for 3 years off and on, till it was turned into a non-powered glider. The P-51 was scrapped, I still have the shell laying around, not too bad of shape.

2015 - Still not addicted
I bought a UMX Beast 3D. This was my only plane at the time. This was a Great plane, and I still have thoughts of finding another one. I flew this one for about a year. Crashed it 40-50 times, and repaired it without buying new parts. Maybe a few props... Scrapped her in 2016. She's a parts pile now, for repairs to other planes.

2017 - Addicted
I decided to get another UMX plane. By this time there was a lot of them on the market, used and new.
I picked up a Habu S. Wow, this was fun. It was so fun that I decided to get another. Bought a brand new Pitts on sale. Then I bought a Sport Cub S. Then I just bought a Yak 54 180. I may get one more... Maybe wait for HH to come out with a new model.
to remove ads between posts
May 04, 2017, 05:45 PM
Please..... You don't have an addiction. I need help! Lol
May 04, 2017, 09:00 PM
Something is wrong with me I have over a dozen of the micro planes

Somehow the addiction is cured, I bought a UMX J3 in October and it is still not even bound to a transmitter.

I bought the UMX YAK for indoor flying and went once, flew 3 batteries flew it and now it sits.

with the recent Transport Canada rules even though the UMX planes are below the limit I have no desire to fly in the park I use to (it is permitted here) just to avoid the BS of explaining things.

Any ideas how to get back into these planes? I use to really enjoy the early morning flights. now I have no desire.
May 04, 2017, 09:41 PM
fly by night
yeah .. FPV them! makes it way more like flying large planes. really a much better way to enjoy these small planes. The headtracker in the goggles moves the camera. I like it better than flying manned aircraft (I have PPL)

I fly here in BC, in a popular field 5 minutes fro home that used to be big with RC pilots until recently, but within 8.5km from a seaplane port and hospital, so technically not allowed over 250g. Still flying UMX there daily of course. Have some larger planes and a hi perf miniquad all at around 250g also.

UMX Pitts FPV with 3S Powerrrr! (2 min 26 sec)
May 05, 2017, 05:34 AM
get the umx a5 and go to a lake
PKZU2380 - Parkzone Icon A5 UMX con AS3X (2 min 9 sec)
May 17, 2017, 07:30 AM
Great suggestions, and I do have a FPV vapour, however I have only tried to fly it once, the gear box was binding, I made some adjustment's to make it free, and have not touched it sense.

I did fly the F16 the other day, it was a bit on the windy side, still fun. we will see during my week off next week if I take more of my micros out of the boxes and maybe try FPV on the cub
May 20, 2017, 11:25 AM
Vienna calling...
Here it is similar...
I am a heli-guy.
Always wanted some small planes...
Bought the Hobbyking Micros... what crap.

And then I bought the beautiful Pitts S-1s in 2015.
Wooooow.... what a blast, what a beatiful plane, how cool to fly - and what I love: The boxes (turned around) for transport.
I always go by bike - have a trailer. That is why I love the UMX planes and never flew my Archer
Always several helis with me (actually reduced my helis by 18 - only kept one OXY 3 and a OXY 2 and sold 18, sold also the Hobbyking planes, the Archer I never flew, did only keep my Hobbyking Wilga 2000 and all UMX).

Then I bought a Gee Bee - how cool is this plane!
And then a Carbon Cub - how cool, could start and land on water and in snow, with lights, with airbrakes!
Then the Icon - swimming - how cool

Then the 1s PT40 Warhawk... ok - did not fly it much so far, do not really like it.
Then I got a second Pitts - the Pitts is my absolute favourite.
Then I bought another 1s: the PT 17 Stearman: Wow - I love it at calm evenings - much, much better than the Warhawk. Not 2s (fly Pitts also 3s), but a totally different story. I like it very much.
Now I bought the P3 Revolution: Wow - beautiful, and totally different flight characteristics to my favourite, the Pitts S-1s.

Yes... I do not need, but probably I will - buy the Waco, I love it

What I love in the UMX Micros:

They are beautiful.
They fly perfectly.
They are small.
They have those fantastic boxes they come in, what makes transport easy

What I do not like:
They are beautiful. It is hard to "not buy them".
They are cheap... so easily bought (but BTW: I do not like the actual prices; they were around 20 - 25% cheaper two years ago. Actually the new planes are 150 € without battery and charger - I do not need anyway - some years ago could buy them for 90 - 120; only my Revolution was a bargain last month: Only Euro 69.99 - this is why I bought it and not the Waco, but...).

Anyway:
I am addicted to those micros.

Walter
May 20, 2017, 12:53 PM
What does this button do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker
yeah .. FPV them! makes it way more like flying large planes. really a much better way to enjoy these small planes. The headtracker in the goggles moves the camera. I like it better than flying manned aircraft (I have PPL)

I fly here in BC, in a popular field 5 minutes fro home that used to be big with RC pilots until recently, but within 8.5km from a seaplane port and hospital, so technically not allowed over 250g. Still flying UMX there daily of course. Have some larger planes and a hi perf miniquad all at around 250g also.
Oh that's how you did that! Man that's awesome. Thanks for explaining.
Aug 06, 2017, 08:42 AM
I took the Corsair and the YAK 3D out this morning and my addiction is back. on the way home I was really wishing I had brought the J3, and the space walker. so I will prep for tomorrow
Aug 07, 2017, 02:21 PM
Oh Man, I started flying about two months ago. Already have bought four UMX'S.
My wife is not going to like this addiction. I will have her call a few of you nice people to explain it to her.
I just love the little UMX'S. And YES, I need help. LOL
Aug 07, 2017, 04:44 PM
Slow is the go!
The best thing about them is you can have three UMs to one larger
size plane, batteries are easy to maintain and cheap. I have too many
UMs now they have released the Timber STOL which will be joining
the squadron which is now a wing, the way things are going I will end
up with an airforce of these little champions.

What am I going to tell the boss lady!!??
Aug 07, 2017, 05:10 PM
I think the UMX J3 is going to get floats, after flying the Corsair, UMX Stryker, and F16 this morning the little cub did nothing for me, it flies great where was it 6 years ago! So it will get floats and I will start my search for a pond/lake.

C
Aug 07, 2017, 10:02 PM
I started rc when I was around 7/8, with a mini super cub (almost a UMX), and within a year I moved up to my first 4 channel airplane, the PZ ultra micro P51 mustang.

My mustang went through so much abuse. I replaced prop and spinner countless times, and the tail I think 3 times. Learned so much with that plane. Glued the landing gear back multiple times as well. From then on I kinda went into quads a little bit, but eventually later came back to planes. I later got a Sport Cub S which was 2 years later I think. Flew that and never crashed it, but had to replace the motor. After this I got a night vapor (I still own this one). I'm up to around around 40 hours or so on this plane now. I've flown that plane forever. I posted about my night vapor in another thread and I'll copy and paste in another post. It's been through so much.

Recently I've decided 1S micros are a no go for me, and I received a P51 BL and I don't think I ever want to go back. Close to 15 hours and no broken parts, although my aileron servo keeps twitching upon powering it up. I'll have to call horizon about that.

Even though I said I was finished with 1S micros, I bought a used a FPV Radian, and it's been pretty fun, although I can't seem to get it to glide very well. And it's requiring so much up elevator to get it to fly level. That might be why it was for sale.

I've been thinking about getting a micro J-3 so I could finally try float flying (the Sport Cub S was to weak in power) and then the UMX Timber came out and now I've pre-ordered that. I'll post asap about it on this thread and the main thread for the plane. Maybe I'll still get that J-3.

But overall for years I've always wanted more and more micros, I just never had any money for it, but now I'm of age to get a job, and so many more should be in store for me.
Aug 07, 2017, 10:33 PM
I do like the looks of the P 51 and the A10, not sure if I will take the plunge my UM/UMX collection takes up a lot of space. UM 210, Mini vapour, FPV Vapour, Spitfire, Corsair, Radian, ASK21, Whipit, SBach, AS3XTRA, UMX YAK, Mig, F16, UMx Stryker, Mosquito, and the J3, Plus the Flyzone Cub, Albatros and DR1. I think that's 20 if you include I have to mini vapours.. ops forgot my indoor spacewalker.

I think I have a problem
Aug 08, 2017, 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cman
I do like the looks of the P 51 and the A10, not sure if I will take the plunge my UM/UMX collection takes up a lot of space. UM 210, Mini vapour, FPV Vapour, Spitfire, Corsair, Radian, ASK21, Whipit, SBach, AS3XTRA, UMX YAK, Mig, F16, UMx Stryker, Mosquito, and the J3, Plus the Flyzone Cub, Albatros and DR1. I think that's 20 if you include I have to mini vapours.. ops forgot my indoor spacewalker.

I think I have a problem
Maybe... But I'll just say we're all filled with loose screws

Quick Reply