Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

ISDT Q6 Plus Micro Smart Charger - RCGroups Review

Available from ReadyMadeRC, this 300 watt micro smart-charger can pump out an astonishing 14 amps and should be an accessory in any modeler's field bag. Let's put the Q6 Plus through its paces!

ISDT Q6 Plus Micro Smart Charger - RCGroups Review

A $50 Smart Charger Available from ReadyMadeRc

Product:ISDT Q6 Plus
Price:$50.99
Input:7v - 32v
Max Watts:300w
Maximum Amps:14 amps
Available from:ReadyMadeRC.com

There's no shortage of chargers in a hobby that revolves around LiPo batteries, and navigating through a sea of companies trying to stand out with the latest and greatest can be challenging to say the least! I currently own multiple chargers, with a large 4-port behemoth being my go-to bench charger. Somehow, this big 1200 watt machine always finds it way into my truck when I go to the field, and it takes up considerable real estate; it's a love/hate relationship!

But while I was visiting the ReadyMadeRC booth at Toledo this year, I learned about the ISDT Q6 Plus, and I knew I had to buy one on the spot. ISDT is not a new company, they've been around a few years. The entire lineup of ISDT chargers are the epitome of form and function: they look great with cases that buck the long lasting trends of big aluminum cooling fins. The Q6 Plus was introduced in December 2016, and has seen a relatively steady increase in adopters that sing it's praise. It's IPS LCD display is bright and clear, and quite easy to read; a refreshing change from the normal LCD screens.

What really impressed me was it's small size and high performance numbers: 300 watts and 14 amps! Being a single-battery charger, the Q6 Plus really benefits from the relatively large cooling fan that makes up the majority of the bottom of the case. As long as it stays cool, it can mindlessly top off those LiPo's at high watt and high amp rates.

Q6 Plus Specs:

• Input Voltage: DC 7-32V
  • Output Voltage: 0-30V
  • Charge Current: 0.1-14.0A
  • Discharge Current: 0.1-3.0A
  • Max Charge Capacity: 300W
  • Max Discharge Capacity: 8W
  • Balancing Current: 1A/cell
  • Balance Cells: 2-6S
  • Supported Battery Type:
  • LiFe/Lilon/LiPo/LiHv (1-6S)
  • NiMH/Cd(1-16S)
  • Pb(1-12S)
  • Display: 2.4'' 320240 IPS LCD
  • Operating Temperature: 0-40C
  • Storage Temperature: -20-60C
  • Dimensions: 80x80x33.5 mm
  • Weight: 119g

Video Review:

Watch the video below for a complete rundown of functions and charging.

ISDT Q6 Plus Smart Charger Available From ReadyMadeRC - RCGroups Review (12 min 22 sec)

Conclusion:

The little Q6 Plus does everything it claims to do! It can easily charge up to 14 amps and output 300 watts. The Q6 Plus can take a wide range of input voltages from 7 up to 32V, and can charge 1S up to 6S Lipos, as well as NiMh, lead acid, and the other Li-XX types. For its size and price point around $50, you just can't beat it; I leave mine in my truck for whenever the need arises to charge a LiPo at the field. Head on over to ReadyMadeRC.com today and order yours! Thanks for reading my review of the ISDT Q6 Plus, and happy charging.

Last edited by Matt Gunn; May 11, 2017 at 09:02 AM..
May 04, 2017, 09:50 PM
Ordered one from RMRC today, should be a nice and needed upgrade from my $15 ebay charger.
May 05, 2017, 08:53 AM
I do love the idea of having an easily transportable charger that i can use by charging up one big battery at home then using it over and over out in the field.
May 05, 2017, 11:02 AM
RCG Staff
That's exactly what I bought one for. I use a 3S 5000 to charge my 2S 350mAh lipo packs for my DLG's. I can now charge under my canopy with no hassles or worry about running down my car battery during a two day event. Love this little thing!
May 06, 2017, 07:28 AM
Great little charger. I am a glider person and use it to charge DLGs and F5J models at the field off a 4S - 6500 mah pack.
May 06, 2017, 07:15 PM
I just updated my Q6 firmware and thought that allows for 4.35v charging but its still 4.25v. Hows that work youre supposed to get some code? I read about it months ago and hoped maybe someone here knows what the steps are?
May 06, 2017, 09:52 PM
RCG Staff
You have to change the lipo type to HV to get to 4.35v and higher.
May 06, 2017, 09:53 PM
RCG Staff
Also I just got the 6 amp power supply and it is very nice and compact for easy charging from an AC outlet.
May 07, 2017, 09:42 PM
You can select LiHv to get to 4.35v
May 07, 2017, 10:07 PM
Yes thank you I found the LiHv. That was my mistake I was thinking the regular Lipo setting would allow you to adjust.

Another issue is the display always shows too high of voltage for little 1s batteries. Is that normal?
May 09, 2017, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
Also I just got the 6 amp power supply and it is very nice and compact for easy charging from an AC outlet.
How much noise does it make? I use an old Dell server power supply and the fan drives me nuts because it constantly revs up and down even when you're not charging.

Thanks
May 09, 2017, 06:48 AM
RCG Staff
Haven't charged with it yet, but just powering it on to test there was zero noise. There is no fan on the power supply. The top and bottom is metal so I assume it's designed to dissipate heat from that.
May 09, 2017, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
Haven't charged with it yet, but just powering it on to test there was zero noise. There is no fan on the power supply. The top and bottom is metal so I assume it's designed to dissipate heat from that.
Thanks. I just noticed it's only rated for 160W, though It would only be able to provide half of the 300W needed by the ISDT Q6 Plus.
May 09, 2017, 03:24 PM
RCG Staff
Yep. Still pretty dang good for most of the stuff I use. 160W is putting down big amps on higher cell count packs. For instance you could charge a 4S pack at 9A no problem.
May 09, 2017, 03:25 PM
RCG Staff
Of course I wouldn't mind having this bad boy either... https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ion-for-Drones