May 03, 2017, 11:48 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

3D printed 70mm EDF planes

new to this...
any plans for a 70mm EDF plane out there??? got a spare setup I would really like to use on a plane like this rather than a foamie
to remove ads between posts
Jul 28, 2018, 11:28 PM
So far the plastics are not outdoor/heat resilient really. They warp... 'melt'/soften./.. and can stress fracture as they are brittle. So apart from not lasting long term, they can be dangerous if a failure occurs in flight.
Plus the smaller they get, the harder to offset the weight of the plastics.
But at least 70mm size can be a 'throw-away' and just re-print another! LOL

I am looking at printing some jet, designed from scratch - some military type - but not sure on 90mm or 70mm. But those above issues will remain.... (thus why not a 90mm for sure, as it is destined to be scrapped!!)
Jul 29, 2018, 12:46 AM
Me and a guy with a mustache
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC
So far the plastics are not outdoor/heat resilient really. They warp... 'melt'/soften./.. and can stress fracture as they are brittle. So apart from not lasting long term, they can be dangerous if a failure occurs in flight.
Plus the smaller they get, the harder to offset the weight of the plastics.
But at least 70mm size can be a 'throw-away' and just re-print another! LOL

I am looking at printing some jet, designed from scratch - some military type - but not sure on 90mm or 70mm. But those above issues will remain.... (thus why not a 90mm for sure, as it is destined to be scrapped!!)
The issues you speak of only applies to PLA which is a biodegradeable material. PETG and ABS do fine outdoors, can handle high temperatures and are not brittle. They are, however, more difficult to dial-in on your printer but the end result is worth it.
Jul 29, 2018, 10:35 AM
Well heat remains a problem as a painted 'plastic' plane can hit 60degC on a 30degC day.... maybe more internally. Making the plastic soft(er).
But maybe ABS or PETG would cope viably. I haven't seen any information on anyone who has made those and told how they last etc.
Jul 29, 2018, 04:05 PM
PLA has a glass transition temperature of around 62C so it would probably not be a suitable material for use in anything that will be exposed to strong sunlight. On the other hand, PETG has a glass transition temperature of around 88C and ABS is around 105C so either one should be more than capable of handling the job. Considering that ABS is used in many automobile interiors (which can get much hotter than 60C) and is used in making some model airplane propellers, I'd say model airplane airframes should not be a problem. The main issue with using ABS is it's tendency to warp and/or crack during the printing process unless the printing environment is well controlled. ABS likes to be printed within a warm enclosure with little to no cooling fan across the print. PETG's printing requirements are more flexible though it tends to be "stringy" if the printer and/or slicer setup is not correct.

All that being said, people have used PLA for making RC planes with success, although I'd never use it because I like my things to last a while. Remember, PLA is biodegradable.

Examples of 3D printed RC planes:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1831295
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2781182
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2349879
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2663805
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2752892

I especially like the last two.
Last edited by babblefish; Jul 29, 2018 at 04:20 PM.
Jul 29, 2018, 08:00 PM
Retired CAD guy
Hey, babbleefish, were you with Jamie when he did the Grass to gas vid with Cummins ?

That was my son ( from Cummins ) with grand kid.
Jul 29, 2018, 08:24 PM
The GASB jets look interesting.... quick, cheap, 'throw away' one day when they fail....
Jul 30, 2018, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
Hey, babbleefish, were you with Jamie when he did the Grass to gas vid with Cummins ?

That was my son ( from Cummins ) with grand kid.
No, I wasn't. Jamie was a patron of the hobby shop I used to own and would only see him occasionally when he stopped by.
Jul 30, 2018, 06:51 AM
I decided to make the GASB2 50mm Fanjet, seeing I have one of those EDF's lying around, and lots of parts here or there to complete it. In white PLA.... as a throw-away, LOL.

I have also scaled it up to a 70mm version, but just need to edit the EDF bay to suit something I have. eg a Freewing housing with CS10 rotor or something, Almost certainly a Freewing housing.
Plus need to edit numerous other aspects that you don't truly want scaled to that 'random' scaling factor used. eg the servo bays, the carbon fiber rod/tube sizes (diameters) upsizing ratio. Plus I am moving the main wing spar and making that almost full span also. It is weird how he designed the main wing spar - it sort of has some logic, but also is quite lacking.
The EDF housing redesign is the messiest part, seeing the model is overly complex' modeling around there - not friendly to being edited.
Even a 70mm is pretty much a 'who cares throw-away' when it finally fails.

The designer had some good 3D printing ideas...... and some lacking a bit.
It also showed how lacking most/all the Slicers are - in what they allow you to SPECIFICALLY set, versus trying values to try to 'trick' it to form the methods required. And that you can't even get them to do what it truly optimal. For eg they should allow MANUAL infill placements. Not just 'pick a pattern' and a 'percentage', but let YOU lay vertical or horizontal, or angled, paths WHERE you want them to be. Anywhere... any number....
Maybe some (one?) of the very complex slicers can do that, but those are also very complex to even set all the settings you have to also provide (lots!) [IdeaMaker, IceSL)
Last edited by PeterVRC; Jul 30, 2018 at 06:57 AM.
Jul 30, 2018, 07:19 AM
Be sure to post pictures of your plane and let us know how it flies!
Jul 30, 2018, 05:47 PM
Well, my CS 50mm is not QUITE the same as the design was for..... it does not fit. It is about 2mm, or so, too large in diameter. I only printed the EDF section and cover to test that, and to see how best to edit it for 70mm.

So now I am totally redesigning that section - to be easily changeable per EDF used. Rather than a totally fixed item for one EDF type.
The nacelle will be a separate item that you add on, and can print any size to suit your fan. Or edit the model for specific mounting points etc, if required, though they will be generic and suit most EDFs anyway.
The rear of the nacelle is also a separate piece so you can change the 'thrust tube' part of it in dimensions. Because if you use a CS10 type (low gap) fan you need a greater FSA exhaust than a high gap area type fan (Wemo EVO etc).

Doing this needed the main lower rear wing piece re-designed, to NOT have all its "EDF stuff" built into that. It has to be more 'plain' and nacelle/EDF specifics are in the nacelle portion so that any various for of that can be placed/replaced onto that 'plain' centre body part..

This stuff had to be done to make a larger scale version anyway, so it is no more effort to make the 50mm 'better' like that too.

I was not overly happy with the strength.... lack of... for the single perimeter piece(s). It is not as 'flimsy' as monokote, but it is quite flexible and somewhat fragile and you would need to take care of it.
In the 50mm size jet you probably cannot afford to have too much extra weight, but in the 70mm it will have a lot more leeway to carry weight so 2 perimeters would probably be best for that.

I was hoping that the 50mm version would have been print and fly, quickly... but no.... the EDF alterations make it a more involved project now!
I was happy enough with all the rest of his design.... though the main wing spar idea did not seem that great/optimal really. Probably good enough for the 'little'/light 50mm version I guess. I will do it differently in the larger 70mm version.

"Anything" flies, lol. So more so this well known generic 'jet' design will work very well without question. (It is really pretty much a Funjet)
Jul 31, 2018, 12:22 AM
If that GASB doesn't work out, try this one:
https://grabcad.com/library/ultradelta-1

I might take this design and create a printable fuselage with Depron or foamcore for the flying surfaces:
https://grabcad.com/library/cartoon-biplane-1
Jul 31, 2018, 12:43 AM
The Ultra-Delta has no model files.....
Looked pretty cool.
Jul 31, 2018, 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC
The Ultra-Delta has no model files.....
Looked pretty cool.
Oh dang, I didn't notice that, sorry...
Jul 15, 2019, 06:14 PM
Plane crazy
This plane is fully printed in PLA, including the EDF.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...le-L-39/page76

Quick Reply