May 08, 2017, 09:28 AM
Thread OP
It sure isn't 140 degrees (bad bad Chinese for claiming that), but think it's more than 50 degrees. At least it's much better than the small Y2000 and Y3000 cams which really had a limited fov that wasn't very useable for aerial filming. I for one think the SQ11 fov is great for planes like I showed; it's perfect for that and it has no distortion. For a micro you might indeed need something (much) wider. Just ordered a foldable Eachine E52 and I think this camera will be perfect for/on it.
to remove ads between posts
May 08, 2017, 07:13 PM
Just another user...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelpeter
It sure isn't 140 degrees (bad bad Chinese for claiming that), but think it's more than 50 degrees. At least it's much better than the small Y2000 and Y3000 cams which really had a limited fov that wasn't very useable for aerial filming. I for one think the SQ11 fov is great for planes like I showed; it's perfect for that and it has no distortion. For a micro you might indeed need something (much) wider. Just ordered a foldable Eachine E52 and I think this camera will be perfect for/on it.
I got the 50-deg HFOV figure by putting the camera on the floor while recording. I placed markers on the floor until they appeared at the edge of the frame horizontally. Then I measured the angle and it was within a few degrees of 50 degrees.

There is another thread here on RCGroups of this camera:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...i-1080P-camera

Here is a vid on that thread shot by someone else demonstrating the narrow FOV compared to the FPV cam FOV:

SQ11 mini camera onboard micro racer drone (2 min 8 sec)
Last edited by dingrrcg; May 08, 2017 at 07:19 PM.
May 08, 2017, 08:03 PM
Quality of footage is really very close to the 808 MateCam, both not very good, but the latter has much more features and settings....
May 09, 2017, 02:13 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingrrcg
I got the 50-deg HFOV figure by putting the camera on the floor while recording. I placed markers on the floor until they appeared at the edge of the frame horizontally. Then I measured the angle and it was within a few degrees of 50 degrees.

There is another thread here on RCGroups of this camera:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...i-1080P-camera

Here is a vid on that thread shot by someone else demonstrating the narrow FOV compared to the FPV cam FOV:

https://youtu.be/eIAhTI30EWs
I'm surprised it is that narrow. It sure didn't look to me that it was around 50 degrees. As I said, I'm quite happy with what it records from my little XK A700 plane.

Some numbers I gathered from the videos I shot till now:

SQ11 @ 720p30: 9447 kbps - 13093 kbps
SQ11@ 1080p30: 16300 kbps - 21146 kbps
May 09, 2017, 03:43 AM
Thanks dingrrcg to bring me here
I was so disappointed on my first tests than I made a FOV comparison before my first fly
My testing reports MAX 60° FOV but no more...

Here is the link:
Mini HD camera SQ11 cheats on the FOV !! Angle review DO NOT USE FOR ITS WIDE ANGLE!! IT IS CRAP (1 min 51 sec)
May 09, 2017, 04:08 AM
I have opened the canopy to look inside the cam and i guess the lens can be changed.
Look the pictures on my previous post :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9&postcount=13

And I add here 2 more pictures of the lens itself.
The body lens outer diameter is 6.3mm and the inner diameter is 5.8mm
I don't see any screw thread because it is sealed and I didn't try to unscrew for the moment but I guess the lens can unscrew from the sensor...
May 09, 2017, 08:34 AM
Already do a Lens Mod... (sorry, no photo of mod process)
i take the Lens of a broken Eachine VTX03 (Lens and support....)
The Lens support are the same size of the SQ11...
Open the SQ11 and remove the M6 Lens support (carefully... there are electronic inside)...
glue the M7 Support from the Eachine VTX03 to the sensor...
Drill a 8mm Hole in the case.
Close All, insert the the new lens and focus it.

The photo of the result!!!
100 - 110° of FoV!!!!

PS: Sorry for my poor English!!!
Last edited by bbc25185; May 09, 2017 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Added FoV finish!!!
May 09, 2017, 10:59 AM
Yess ! That is good !
I have looked on my lens stock and I don't have any M6 lens... Even the 600TVL (https://www.banggood.com/600TVL-1_8m...l?rmmds=search) is bigger diameter.
The Eachine VTX03 has no camera as it is only a VTX. I think you had ordered that lens separately. if you can fnd the link it is good.

I hope the result will be good in flight on micro quads !
May 09, 2017, 11:04 AM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!
How to measure FOV
May 09, 2017, 11:50 AM
Thread OP
Little video of some flights I did earlier today. This time shot in 720p30 and uploaded to Youtube at 720p30. Date/time switched off this time around.

Sunnier weather, but still a bit of a bumpy ride

SQ11 Mini DV at 720p30 aerial footage (3 min 2 sec)

The SQ11 did a pretty good job imo considering the contrasty scene and all the movement.
May 09, 2017, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico2nice
Yess ! That is good !
I have looked on my lens stock and I don't have any M6 lens... Even the 600TVL (https://www.banggood.com/600TVL-1_8m...l?rmmds=search) is bigger diameter.
The Eachine VTX03 has no camera as it is only a VTX. I think you had ordered that lens separately. if you can fnd the link it is good.

I hope the result will be good in flight on micro quads !
Sorry... Eachine TX03... this...
https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-TX0...l?rmmds=search

But not only the Lens.... also the lens mount attached to circuit....
The lens mount of the SQ11 and the TX03 are the same size.... but the lens are of 2 different sizes!!!
Its not a easy modification!!!
May 09, 2017, 09:58 PM
Just another user...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc25185
Already do a Lens Mod... (sorry, no photo of mod process)
i take the Lens of a broken Eachine VTX03 (Lens and support....)
The Lens support are the same size of the SQ11...
Open the SQ11 and remove the M6 Lens support (carefully... there are electronic inside)...
glue the M7 Support from the Eachine VTX03 to the sensor...
Drill a 8mm Hole in the case.
Close All, insert the the new lens and focus it.

The photo of the result!!!
100 - 110° of FoV!!!!
Good job with the lens transplant! I will attempt the same except with the lens from my dead Mates808 camera. It has the same 8mm square lens unit base. Which is also the same dimensions as the lens unit from any 808 series camera. So the D-lens from the 808 #16 camera would be a good transplant candidate as well.

This camera has potential for microquads (modded with a wide angle lens) because it only weighs 2g stripped of the casing, LED ring and battery.

For fixed wing applications, the narrow FOV is fine. But definitely needs a wide angle lens for quads.
Last edited by dingrrcg; May 09, 2017 at 10:08 PM.
May 11, 2017, 04:28 AM
Thread OP
Perfect flying weather yesterday, so I went out in the late afternoon for a couple of rounds. First battery went thru my little XK A700 foamy without a problem. Second battery went perfect for a while. Got the plane a bit away but still pretty easy visible until a big black bird flew over my position. I got distracted by that for just a second but after that could find the plane anymore Gave full throttle to try and pinpoint it by sound but that didn't work ... and that was it

First I had a look on my side of the canal plus had a good look over the water (as the foam A700 would certainly float) but nothing to see. Decide to give it a try and drove to the other side of the canal for a quick look, just in case.

When I drove into the village on the other side of the canal and passed the church I couldn't believe my eyes: there were two gentlemen talking to eachother and one had my A700 in the hand! They found it next to the canal and were taking it home. I told them my story and they handed over the plane. Apparently it had nosedived as the nose was damaged and the SQ11 camerabody got marks that you don't get by a crash in grass ... but it survived, and still works!!! Luckily nothing happened to anybody, nor was anything damaged. Pfew. Next time: don't venture out too far!!!
May 11, 2017, 11:52 AM
Send us the last minutes recording
I 'd like to see that !
May 13, 2017, 05:21 PM
Thread OP
Here it is:

CRASH rc plane filmed with SQ11 Mini DV (1 min 38 sec)

Note to self: don't let it get too far away from you next time!

Quick Reply