FrSky S6R Rx self-check question - RC Groups
May 03, 2017, 07:12 AM
Discussion

FrSky S6R Rx self-check question

I'm a newbie with the FrSky S6R Rx. I'm not clear as to what the self-check procedure is for.

To explain this a little bit further, I tried to set up a model with Ail1 and Ail2. I found Ail2 wouldn't respond to stick movement but Ail1 would. After checking a few threads here, I found that I should initiate a self-check. I did and it worked; the 2nd aileron is now working.

So now, lol, I realize I really don't understand what the self-check mode is for. I thought the Rx got its orientation each time the plane is turned on. In other words, the plane should be kept still in its normal flying attitude when it's turned on. After a few seconds, it is booted and has its orientation. And if this is the case, then what is the self-check for? Is this something that should be initiated before each flight? Or, just once after installation into a model? Or, just after flashing firmware? Could someone explain the difference between initiating a self-check vs. just turning on the plane before a flight?

Thanks in advance!
to remove ads between posts
May 03, 2017, 07:50 AM
Self check is to learn the max servo throws AND to learn the horizontal position (calibration). You normally do this once unless you change servo throws or the plane does not keep the correct attitude during auto level mode.
May 03, 2017, 09:07 PM
Thanks Tadango. Do you happen to know what takes place when the Rx is just turned on, such as before a flight? Isn't the plane supposed to be held level (normal flying attitude) for a short period of time?
May 04, 2017, 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottand1000
Thanks Tadango. Do you happen to know what takes place when the Rx is just turned on, such as before a flight? Isn't the plane supposed to be held level (normal flying attitude) for a short period of time?
You don't need to keep it level, but you should keep it still. I think it has a gyro calibration but no accelerometer calibration on power on.
May 04, 2017, 03:04 AM
The manual that is supplied with each receiver is quite specific regarding the requirements for self check including the need for the aircraft to be levelled, in flying attitude and so on.

Rather than confusing end users with conflicting information, if you believe that the manual is incorrect can I respectively request that you make a case to FRSKY to change it.
May 04, 2017, 07:53 AM
mpjf01:

I don't think the manual is in error, but I am confused by it. I'm a newbie with OpenTX and the FrSky S6R Rx. I'm suffering the learning curve, lol... The S6R manual doesn't explicitly say *when* a self-check is to be initiated. I'm just not (wasn't?) sure if this is something that needs to be done before each and every flight, so I was looking for help/clarification from people who have used it already. I guess I'll learn more when I actually get to fly the plane with the newly installed S6R (hopefully next week). Thanks for your reply & take care.
May 04, 2017, 07:54 AM
Tadango:

Thanks again for your reply.
May 04, 2017, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottand1000
mpjf01:

I don't think the manual is in error, but I am confused by it. I'm a newbie with OpenTX and the FrSky S6R Rx. I'm suffering the learning curve, lol... The S6R manual doesn't explicitly say *when* a self-check is to be initiated. I'm just not (wasn't?) sure if this is something that needs to be done before each and every flight, so I was looking for help/clarification from people who have used it already. I guess I'll learn more when I actually get to fly the plane with the newly installed S6R (hopefully next week). Thanks for your reply & take care.
The manual just says (in the setup section) to do the self check "if necessary". That's not particularly useful. The matter has been discussed several times now in the S6R dedicated thread on RCG and elsewhere. There are those who insist that it only needs to be done once after the receiver is installed in a new aircraft. There are those who say that it needs to be done before each flight, and those who argue to do it before each day's flying session. In my case (I have been using a S6R since their release last September and have two of them as well as two pre-release S8R) I check the control surface movement before each flight. On a number of occasions I have noticed incomplete servo movement after power up and have had to do a self check to normalise the system. I haven't kept records but it has not been necessary as often as every flying session. Just keep an eye on the model's behaviour and do it if you need to is my suggestion.

The dedicated thread is here

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Port-Telemetry
May 04, 2017, 09:08 PM
mpjf01:

Many thanks for the explanation.

That's what I'll do going forward; I'll just check the behavior of the Rx before each flight. And, I guess initiating a self-check won't hurt anything if I'm suspicious of it not acting properly.

Thanks for the pointer!
May 05, 2017, 02:53 AM
I think if it is not working correctly before the flight you have an issue. All gyro systems are calibrated the same way and the S6R does not need a re-calibration (self check) before a normal flight.
May 05, 2017, 08:13 AM
I'd be mad without a Taranis!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadango
I think if it is not working correctly before the flight you have an issue. All gyro systems are calibrated the same way and the S6R does not need a re-calibration (self check) before a normal flight.
Exactly. Folks in the other thread will try and tell you otherwise. However, it is something one simply does not need to do after your throws and attitude for level flight for your preferred throttle setting are locked in.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Port-Telemetry
May 05, 2017, 08:49 AM
I find the gyro/acelerometer thing inside an Rx fascinating. It's amazing how far the technology has come since I entered the hobby. Imagine a 6-channel Rx with stabilization, KE, and hover modes for a relatively low price point... This discussion now has me Googling MEMS gyro types and technology... lol. Pretty neat stuff.

I have an older PA Extra 260 that I don't have any great attachment to -this will be my test vehicle. It has good power and large control surface throws. It should be capable of doing what the Rx commands of it, so I think it will be a good test vehicle especially for KE mode and hover mode. We shall see, lol.

I plan on experimenting with my setup once the plane is ready. e.g. hold the plane at awkward angle and turn on the power, then view the movement of the control services (but never let the plane leave my hand). I'll see if I can confuse it, or, I'll see if it knows where it is. I think that should help discover just what it needs to initialize and what it "remembers" from the self-check. One thing I understand about the self-check procedure now is that this is where the stick limits are calibrated. So that is definitely one thing that is different vs. just powering on. And I can see that those should remain in memory until reset. I'll also be able to see how other settings holds up over time. i.e. does vibration of the air frame over time cause some other self-check settings/calibration to degrade? Could this be why some have to do the self-check procedure more often?

Thanks again for all your insight. Can't wait to try it.
Last edited by scottand1000; May 06, 2017 at 07:53 PM.
May 05, 2017, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rups63
Exactly. Folks in the other thread will try and tell you otherwise.
Folks on this thread will tell you otherwise as well.

The sensible thing to do (and the only sensible thing to be advising) is for each user to do normal pre-flight checks and be assured that the control surfaces are working normally. If they are not when they have been in the past it is likely that a doing a self-check will fix things.

The blind insistence that the self-check only ever has to be done once per model is as unhelpful as it is unnecessary.
May 05, 2017, 11:41 PM
I'd be mad without a Taranis!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjf01
Folks on this thread will tell you otherwise as well.

The sensible thing to do (and the only sensible thing to be advising) is for each user to do normal pre-flight checks and be assured that the control surfaces are working normally. If they are not when they have been in the past it is likely that a doing a self-check will fix things.

The blind insistence that the self-check only ever has to be done once per model is as unhelpful as it is unnecessary.
Not blind. Based on experience with this receiver. As I mentioned before, run it as often as you'd like. You just don't need to do it more often than it takes to get your throws and attitude for level flight at your preferred throttle setting locked in. Beyond that, you're performing an unnecessary task. The blind insistence that the self-check needs to be run as often as possible is unhelpful, and causes confusion as to the purpose and design of what self-check is for.
May 06, 2017, 07:01 AM
Not blind, based on even more experience with this receiver, and the S8R as well. Run it whenever you assess that there is a need to.

The blind insistence that the self-check only ever has to be done once per model is as unhelpful as it is unnecessary, and causes confusion as to the purpose and design of what self-check is for.