A really FASST JR 9303 - RC Groups
May 02, 2017, 05:05 PM
Thermals, Tom
New Product

A really FASST JR 9303

Previously, I had posted that I have a friend who detests Futaba because of some bad personal experiences he has had with them as a small hobby shop owner. He's a competitive sailplane flyer and holds an endurance record which I think still stands.
He has recently become interested in vintage flying with spark ignition. We were all quick to jump on the 2.4 bandwagon because the idea of it being affected by ignition noise was inconceivable. That meant buying the first DX7s and then missing out on an entire contest season trying to figure out why they went berzerk whenever the engines were running. Some switched to Futaba (FASST or FHSS didn't matter) and never looked back.

This guy was determined to get to the bottom and figure out what was going on. Along the way, FrSky was determined to suffer in a similar manner. Start the engine, "telemetry lost!" and the the controls surfaces fluttered and the engine rapidly went in and out of failsafe mode.
FrSky radio sold... Now back to Spektrum... Some of the old 72mhz techniques were employed and nothing was resolved. He even ran a cable and put the receiver in the tail. Meanwhile, swapping in a Futaba receiver fixed the problem instantly. They couldn't be made to act up.

So what's he going to do? He can't show up at the field and be seen holding a Futaba transmitter and the programming of the JR 9303 is so much more intuitive.

At Toledo last month, we stopped by Horizon and asked them what to do. Sounds like you should switch to Futaba; I'm mean ya gotta use whatever works for you.. That was revealing.
So, he heads over to CalAire with a Spektrum module and a FASST TM-7 with an unusual request. (The TM-7 ain't the easiest thing to come by because Futaba wants FASST users to buy their most expensive radios)
He asked Mr. Orr to take the Futaba FASST guts and put them in the Spektrum module, and CalAire agreed to do it.
He's going to surprise everyone this year flying Spektrum with no issues, or rather that's what they'll think he's doing.
to remove ads between posts
May 02, 2017, 07:24 PM
S.A.D. member
I did it almost 3 years ago:

JR Transmitter to Futaba FASST Module Adapter

The adapter works with any Futaba style module, not just the FASST one and the module fits inside the bay, not sticking out.

Ivan
May 02, 2017, 08:17 PM
Thermals, Tom
Excellent. Can I assume you had no further troubles?
May 02, 2017, 09:43 PM
Suspended Account
9303 is intuitive? I am still trying to figure out the manual.
May 02, 2017, 09:47 PM
RC Warjet
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNX211
Excellent. Can I assume you had no further troubles?
I bought one of ivanc's boards (actually 4) several years ago, no issues ever on anything.
May 02, 2017, 11:27 PM
Thermals, Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerts
9303 is intuitive? I am still trying to figure out the manual.
Compared to some of that era. Compared to my A9 or DX8, not so much.
May 02, 2017, 11:33 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNX211
Compared to some of that era. Compared to my A9 or DX8, not so much.
Hitec writes a much better manual. But the 9303 is one fine radio, a true classic. I have the FM version and just bought a second hand 2.4 version.
May 02, 2017, 11:34 PM
Thermals, Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warjet1950
I bought one of ivanc's boards (actually 4) several years ago, no issues ever on anything.
It just seems to be a very strong link. The hardest part is obtaining the module. FHSS modules are still available but when you add in the conversion process price from CalAire, a new Futaba radio is more cost effective
May 02, 2017, 11:34 PM
Thermals, Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerts
Hitec writes a much better manual. But the 9303 is one fine radio, a true classic. I have the FM version and just bought a second hand 2.4 version.
Now it's reliable
May 02, 2017, 11:54 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Hobbico did at one time sell a Futaba FASST module made for JR radios. Probably discontinued long ago.

I've been flying Futaba FASST since it came out years ago in everything from carbon frame gas helicopters where other radios would have issues with signal blockage, to tiny racing drones where receiver is literally stacked on top of layers of interference causing electronics. Never had one problem, never had to rebind. I have full trust in FASST protocol.

Programmability is personal preference. I could never understand JR program logic, but every generation of Futaba radio I picked up is immediately second nature to me. So I guess it's all what you're used to.
May 03, 2017, 12:33 PM
Thermals, Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph280
Hobbico did at one time sell a Futaba FASST module made for JR radios. Probably discontinued long ago.

I've been flying Futaba FASST since it came out years ago in everything from carbon frame gas helicopters where other radios would have issues with signal blockage, to tiny racing drones where receiver is literally stacked on top of layers of interference causing electronics. Never had one problem, never had to rebind. I have full trust in FASST protocol.

Programmability is personal preference. I could never understand JR program logic, but every generation of Futaba radio I picked up is immediately second nature to me. So I guess it's all what you're used to.
Any ideas on why this is so? I've heard that their industrial clients demand more resilience. But then, I've also heard that their crane systems operate on something close to DSM.
May 03, 2017, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph280
Yes, plus different people think different ways. What is natural for some is totally foreign to another. Ask a teacher - kids learn differently. Same thing for adults.

One of my friends is a long time user of another brand. Long time. He could program it, but he struggled.

Last year he bought a DX8G2 because he's my friend and knew he'd get good support. He's a very hands-on learner. One day he called me up. I walked him through configuring an airplane, and it made sense first time for him.

But I have other friends who are totally lost with a Spektrum, but find other brands work fine for the programming they do.

Andy
May 03, 2017, 03:17 PM
Thermals, Tom
Even within brands, some models are easier to program. When I flew Spektrum
I never liked the way the programming worked on the DX7. The DX6 was easier. When I bought a DX8, I don't think I referenced the manual for basic set ups.
Last year, I was approached by someone with a Spek radio I had never seen before.

Joe: hey Tom, you flight Spektrum... right?
Me: Ah no, not anymore
Joe: I need someone to help me with reversing the elevator and putting some expo in
I took his radio and set it up fairly quickly.

I like the look and feel of Spektrum radios. They feel like quality (except the old 5Xe)
But, at the end of the day , you need a system that works.

How did he do? Well, he had one of those "lockouts" the next day. Fortunately, it was slow over some tall grass. Not related to my set up. He just had no control.
May 12, 2017, 11:45 AM
Thermals, Tom
CalAire
May 23, 2017, 12:23 PM
Thermals, Tom
System works perfectly. No issues.
I would've videotaped it but the wind was >30kts when it was tested.
Should be able to get a video demonstration in 2-3wks