RunCam 3 - RCGroups Review - RC Groups

RunCam 3 - RCGroups Review

The RunCam 3 is an affordable, durable, and high quality HD camera for FPV racing, freestyling, and general flight. Let's take a look at this new offering from RunCam, and test it out on the RMRC Stratosurfer and the Rotor-Riot Edition Alien quad.

Splash

An Affordable Cube-Sized HD Camera With Plenty of Features

We brought you news of the new RunCam 3 back in March; a cube sized HD cam with a slew of features and a price tag under $100. Now that we have our claws on one, here's a video review to show some of the features and share with you the RunCam 3's video and audio quality on a fixed-wing and on a quad. Let's take a look at this little orange gem.

CLICK HERE to purchase the RunCam 3.

The RunCam 3 is actually a quite rugged little camera. It comes with a Corning Gorilla 3 lens cover that can be replaced if damaged. I actually pile drove my ZMR 250 into the asphalt during the initial flight, and the RunCam 3 easily survived with only a few scratches. Inside the camera is some RFI metal shielding to protect it and your VTx from spurious interference.

The audio on the RunCam 3 has been improved; it now sports dual microphones and a separate audio chip for increased clarity and processing power.

The Runcam 3 uses a 155-degree lens that can be reduced digitally through the app to medium and narrow. The app is downloaded from RunCam and allows a WiFi connection where you can video the live video feed and adjust many different parameters quickly. Check out the video review below where I explain all the apps features and functionality.

Video Review:

Runcam 3 - RCGroups FPV Review (9 min 56 sec)

Conclusion

The RunCam 3 review took place on a cloudy day with grey/white skies and muted colors that are notorious for messing with HD cameras exposure and dynamic range. However, the RunCam 3 didn't skip a proverbial beat as it transitioned from sky to ground with no noticeable exposure changing issues. Metering was also handled very well, with the default value of center-weighted average being used; I saw no blown out skies or overly dark shadows.

Video image quality was very acceptable, even on the overcast day. I noticed no over-saturation in the video and with the bitrate at its highest setting of 30Mbps, the picture had no quality issues or or noticeable blocks. Audio quality was also very nice, and even though it was mostly wind noise and propeller sounds, it was remarkably clear, thanks to the dual microphones and dedicated audio chipset.

If you're looking for an affordable HD camera that takes the shape of the current trending cube design, take a look at the RunCam 3. RunCam has been in the industry for a while now, and has perfected the art of the FPV and HD camera; version 3 of their HD cam is of no exception.

Last edited by Matt Gunn; May 03, 2017 at 02:57 PM..
May 02, 2017, 04:01 PM
Guess Who's Back? :D
Runcam 3 on my 5" Valorem from rmrc.. works great so far still need to tune the quad in a bit.
May 02, 2017, 08:02 PM
Why do racers run a second cam? For recording and playback later?
May 02, 2017, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTim
Why do racers run a second cam? For recording and playback later?
HD cameras have noticeable lag, SD board cameras are almost lag-free, cheaper, lighter, smaller. Board camera footage can be recorded but it is significantly worse compared to 1080p60FPS. So, yes - to record and view later.
May 03, 2017, 08:38 AM
I'm curious, is there any action cam/vidcam with 90 - 100 degree FOV. Don't really like the scenic, wide, barrel effect. Better yet is there a zoom camera operated from the rx?
I'm using a GP Session mounted on my cap. All is well till the plane takes off. Then it disappears in the sky beacause of the wide angle lens.

Alan
Guelph
May 03, 2017, 08:54 AM
Deleted duplicate post
Last edited by Bama3Dr; May 03, 2017 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Duplicated post by mistake
May 03, 2017, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabiggerstaff
I'm curious, is there any action cam/vidcam with 90 - 100 degree FOV. Don't really like the scenic, wide, barrel effect. Better yet is there a zoom camera operated from the rx?
I'm using a GP Session mounted on my cap. All is well till the plane takes off. Then it disappears in the sky beacause of the wide angle lens.

Alan
Guelph
The original Runcam 2 has probably the narrowest field of view at 120 degrees. It does have a slight amount of "fisheye" affect, but not nearly as much as a GoPro Session. Also, the Runcam 3 at 155 degrees still isn't as much fisheye as the Session, at least as far as I can see. I've posted one video up so far using my Runcam3. There are a few loops in there that really let you see how much fisheye there is in the lens:

Runcam 3 (1080p 30fps) - Athens Sports Park (1 min 55 sec)

YouTube introduced a lot of artifacts in the video with its compression process. The raw video straight off the HD card is very clear.

You may have already tried this, but the GoPro Session has a narrow field of view setting that would work much better for capturing line of sight flying footage.

-Dustin
May 03, 2017, 09:24 AM
I've bought this cam a few weeks ago and I really love it. Great footage compared to my Xiaomi Yi 1. It's even cheaper for me to buy it from here: https://www.banggood.com/RunCam-3-64G-HD-1080p60fps-NTSCPAL-155-Degree-Wide-Angle-WiFi-FPV-Camera-p-1127476.html
May 03, 2017, 10:17 AM
Fly No Evil
Is this the one that was just pulled from the market in the US?
May 03, 2017, 10:34 AM
RCGroups Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbitton
Is this the one that was just pulled from the market in the US?
It looks as if it is being pulled from the US market. However you can still order it from China.
May 03, 2017, 02:47 PM
(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
RunCam really hit a home run with this one on price and performance. Great review.
May 03, 2017, 03:03 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Can you wire it up as LIVE FPV camera (bench test) and keep it 'ON' for 15minutes++?
Does the camera get hot?
May 05, 2017, 08:25 AM
Guess Who's Back? :D
Yes and yes.. lol
May 05, 2017, 11:07 AM
Luckily I got my shipment notification from GetFPV yesterday for it.
May 10, 2017, 10:43 PM
Question: can you record the video while using the camera for fpv and also
have it connected to an external battery supply? Recording and using an external power supply won't overheat the Runcam?