May 10, 2017, 09:28 AM
Thread OP
Sorry, was out of town a couple days. Karen had some minor surgery up in chicago. (was planned, not emergency,.. went well).

i did fly the mini uproar. sport aerobatics are good, roll rate can be a blurr, tumbles OK, knife edge OK even without tip plates,.. TONS and TONS of "go" with 4s and the little tower motor using a 10X5 APC "E". Flat spins are great. Now for the negative, I wanted a more "3D" ish version of the plane, but some changes on the tail messed that up. High alpha is absolutely horrible and unnacceptable. Although it's 36 ounces with 10 oz of battery, it's 38 flying due to the 2 ounces of weight on the tail to get the cg to 32%, and it needs to be further back, like 35ish. the wing is also too thin.
I have some traveling coming up, so not sure when I'll have time, but when i get back on this I'll shorten the nose, fix the tail. thicken the wing, and remove the tapered trailing edge making it constant chord again, but with highly tapered ailerons.
Latest blog entry: blog
to remove ads between posts
May 12, 2017, 08:29 AM
Thread OP
After looking over the videos a few times (mobius camera velcroed to the ballcap), I think it's still just noseheavy. When i get a chance after returning from Joe nall I'll take a bunch of stick-on lead with me to the field and experiment.
this is the second battery pack, after I removed the tip plates. I'll upload the third one later.
mini uproar prototype1 (7 min 57 sec)
May 12, 2017, 01:08 PM
Looks like a nice flyer to me. Impressive design and very nice build.
May 12, 2017, 01:47 PM
Thread OP
Looking at the video, it doesn't seem as bad as I thought from flying it. Also, the video gave me a lot of info that doesn't seem to "stick" when you fly, so what I thought was really bad an unnacceptable, I may be able to fix without as much effort as I thought.
May 13, 2017, 07:31 AM
Thread OP
Went out after work, added some lead to the tail and things were much better. Took some sheet balsa, CA, and tape, and made more mods for testing. worked with control throws (mechanically, as I like to keep ATV's maxed and adjust mechanically to retain maximum resolution).It's a TON improved from those initial videos, , but I'm still not satisfied. I'll have to make the changes and some more, in CAD, and build another after we get back from Joe Nall.
May 25, 2017, 12:28 PM
Thread OP
got back from Joe Nall event and worked a bit in cad. Looks more like the "real" uproar now, with lots of changes. tail is vastly different based on what I learned from the first one, wing is back to constant chord with a lot of taper only in ailerons. Kinda looks like an E3D minus turtle deck now Laser cut after work tuesday, started assembling last night between my wednesday night tv schedule. About 3.5 hours invested and I started sanding. Don't like the weight of the ele/rud and calculations tell me they may be too much for servo torque, so i've drawn them out in sticks, including counterbalances, and I may get time to frame those up tonight. Weekend plans in Muncie, so it won't get finished this week.
May 25, 2017, 02:56 PM
Man I wish I could stay focused and build fast like that.
May 26, 2017, 07:53 AM
Thread OP
Got the new control surfaces framed up from sticks last night. 3/4 ounce savings in weight, and I added some counterbalances to rudder and elevator to reduce servo loads. Started covering, just a bit, horiz and vert stab, hatches, and wing are covered. Hopefully I'll have time to get the fuse and control surfaces covered tonight, and install equipment.

Fenton,.. this isn't actually very fast for me. The original crazy wing had the parts lazer cut on friday and I started building after work. i test flew it on sunday (it was cold in the single digits with high winds on saturday). The "stick" in my blog was laser cut on thursday and test flown on saturday. I'm not fast, just very impatient
May 26, 2017, 11:16 AM
Still planning to fly it on 4s?
May 26, 2017, 06:11 PM
Thread OP
yes, because unfortunately I can't go 5 cells with that motor and esc
Last edited by GWRIGHT; May 28, 2017 at 07:16 PM.
May 28, 2017, 07:19 PM
Thread OP
finished friday evening, test flew saturday. The tape on the picture is to hold canopy in place while rc56 canopy glue dries. vastly improved from first attempt, maybe 95% of what I want. Not content with high alpha stability, so a couple more changes and I think it will be good. Allready used some sheet balsa and CA at the flying field to "fix" it so I know what to do
May 28, 2017, 08:01 PM
Nice. When your satisfied see if you can get Hobico to kit it. A quick build like that might actually sell. If you could figure out how to make it an ARF and still be light you would have a grand slam...
May 30, 2017, 08:51 AM
Thread OP
i'll consider that Fenton. i don't think would be a problem if a factory made them. This example is a few ounces under goal weight, and I used what I normally refer to as scrap wood. These are the sheets I won't normally use,.. the super heavy stuff. Trying to make the large and growing pile of "junk wood" a little smaller, so i used some When I unwrap a stack of balsa sheets (they're shrink wrapped in bundles from tower), the sheets are placed on a gram scale , marked with weight, and sorted by grain (a,b,c). Three piles are made, good, medium, and heavy. For example, sheets of 1/8"X4"X36" under 35 grams are good, 40~50 are medium, and over 50 are heavy. I have ranges like that for each thickness. The laser cut sheets for this are mostly 1/8 with some 3/16. the lightest sheet i used was 52 grams, many over 60. I actually had to double cut (run the laser twice) all the sheets and still use an xacto for quite some time since it didn't cut all the way through in a lot of places. This is a worst case scenario for weight, and the plane is still under goal. i need to just start throwing away the rock hard wood. I get very upset when i have to use an xacto so much after laser cutting, and I know it's going to happen when I use the bad wood. however, I'm a cheap old guy and I don't like throwing away stuff that really could be used
May 30, 2017, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRIGHT
yes, because unfortunately I can't go 5 cells with that motor and esc
Ha! How's that motor on 3s? Too anemic for your flying style I suppose. Especially with how light the airframe is already the extra weight of a 4s pack is not noticeable.

I am a big fan of these basic, functional and elegantly simple designs. I am a bit old school but but I'm ok with a model plane looking like a model plane, not everything has to be an Edge or Extra or Yak or Laser. Unfortunately the buying public seems to think otherwise.

Looking forward to video of V2.
May 30, 2017, 05:04 PM
Good info Gary. I haven't built any kits since I was a kid. Looking forward to what you sort out. I get the cheap and old. I'm a borderline hoarder. Just don't forget. Your the one with a laser cutter...

Quick Reply