Aug 21, 2019, 08:09 PM
Registered Abuser
Today's efforts involved sliding the wing in and squaring it up. I centered it left to right first then adjusted it so it measures the same on both sides from the wing tips to the tail. Tomorrow I may trim the covering and epoxy it in there. There's much more room to get the epoxy on the bottom side of the wing than the top, but as Clive mentioned the wing fits fairly tight anyway so possibly not much will be needed.

Many of you in here don't know me, but Clive understands how monumental this is that I get started so quickly on a project
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2019, 08:16 PM
Registered Abuser
Could someone recommend a decent covering iron? I don't need top of the line, but not entry level either.
Aug 21, 2019, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo
Today's efforts involved sliding the wing in and squaring it up. I centered it left to right first then adjusted it so it measures the same on both sides from the wing tips to the tail. Tomorrow I may trim the covering and epoxy it in there. There's much more room to get the epoxy on the bottom side of the wing than the top, but as Clive mentioned the wing fits fairly tight anyway so possibly not much will be needed.

Many of you in here don't know me, but Clive understands how monumental this is that I get started so quickly on a project
Looks like you're getting serious.
Almost fell outta my chair. lol

Can't get much epoxy on the top of the wing, from inside, so I only ended up with a small amount on the front, but doesn't matter at all.
Aug 22, 2019, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo
Could someone recommend a decent covering iron? I don't need top of the line, but not entry level either.

This should do
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?I=LXHVPX&P=ML
You will need a iron sock to
Aug 22, 2019, 09:13 AM
Thread OP
i built and covered hundreds of models my first 30 years or so in the hobby (hundreds is probably an understatement)and never used a sock. Tried a couple times, with baby socks before covering iron socks were available,..then with the commercial ones. Never liked them. Then i got a new iron,.. actually 3 of them, so I can have them at set temps for adhering, shrinking, final shrinking,.. and tried the covering iron socks again. the new irons will actually get hot enough!,.. and for the last 10 years or so I've always had socks on my irons. Tower at one time had them in bulk bags resulting in a cost that was a fraction of the individuals. I think it was 12, or 24 to a bag. Have my last bulk bag of them on the wall and will be opened next model I build I'll have to get more frugal as the set of three on the irons only lasts 5 or 6 models. when I get a little seapage of color/adhesive at a seem it always gets a sock messed up before I catch it.
Latest blog entry: blog
Aug 22, 2019, 01:42 PM
Registered Abuser
This iron thing sounds like a whole new art I get to learn
Aug 22, 2019, 03:59 PM
Don't - it's frustrating and addicting all at once.

But there is a certain joy in building with balsa and seeing it crash. I mean fly...
Aug 22, 2019, 04:24 PM
Registered Abuser
It won't be addicting, trust me. Many things I learn only due to necessity.
Aug 22, 2019, 04:33 PM
Thread OP
i was 12 when I built my first wood model (learned on a falcon 56, 3 channels and OS25).
It, and several models afterwards, were covered using Mom's iron. When I got a "real moneykote iron" i thought I was in heaven. That first iron lasted three decades

As others say, it's an addiction. My roll count of unopened covering in the shop is probably nearer 100 than 0 now, and much of it is 5 meter rolls. Even with that inventory, it seems I always want to use a color that I don't have on a new model
Aug 22, 2019, 04:47 PM
Registered Abuser
I got the wing epoxied in today. I really appreciate how simple the design and assembly of this plane is as my first "adult model"
Aug 23, 2019, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRIGHT
As others say, it's an addiction. My roll count of unopened covering in the shop is probably nearer 100 than 0 now, and much of it is 5 meter rolls. Even with that inventory, it seems I always want to use a color that I don't have on a new model
Oh sure - rub it in. I have to go BUY another roll of yellow this afternoon....

5 more batteries through the Mini this morning before the dreaded W word...upped the pack to 2200mAH and switched to a 10x6 APC Electric - definitely wakes the plane up versus the 10x4.7 SF. Almost scared to stick a 4S in there.

The flight envelope on this thing is what's amazing everyone at the field. It'll fly like a bullet if you let it. with the flaperons down it'll crawl along.
Aug 23, 2019, 10:12 AM
Thread OP
change your mix and move flapperons UP rather than down. fly around in high alpha that way with the nose 45~60 degrees up. You don't know the meaning of "crawl along" yet

as with anything different, play with that at 100+ feet for a while to get comfortable
Aug 23, 2019, 12:56 PM
I've got them set for up, middle (off) and down

Flaps, spoilers and standard. Same for the Slow ride. I'll play with the high alpha with the spoilers up. I think on the SR it pulls one higher than the other though - IIRC I was getting a wing drop when I turned them on either way.
Aug 23, 2019, 05:14 PM
I would think this 2.5 pound AUW plane, would be under powered on 3S.
Mine will easily pull straight up from a hover & don't think it would do that on 3S.
I'm sure it would do fine for sport flying on 3S, but would lack vertical pull.
Aug 23, 2019, 08:31 PM
Not at all...mine will hover just fine at 2/3rds throttle with the 10x6APC not for long but it's the pilot not the plane.

Totally off the topic, but Gary, did you design the "Twist" planes also?

Quick Reply