May 02, 2017, 12:46 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Mini Uproar

Haven't been working with balsa much lately but I got the urge again so I thought I'd do a little documentation here.

I recently revised an old sport plane that's been around for a long time (kits have been selling since 1994). It's the Tower Uproar. I enjoyed that and wanted a smaller version to fly with the little motor I use on various things, including the crazy wing. It's proven to be a little hidden jewel, working well with 8" up to 13" props on 3s and 4s . I got to work in Cad,.. shrunk it to 40 inches and made numerous more changes and modifications. then I started putting new structure to it and drawing all the individual parts. Yesterday I laser cut the parts after work and got a couple hours work on it, and another hour this morning (I'm old, get up early, and have time before work to piddle around in the shop ). It's looking Ok right now, weight is slightly under my budget for this stage, but we all know how that can change in a heartbeat.
control surfaces are covered because they're sticks so i printed "plans" for them and assembled over the weekend, in between normal honeydo's.
the uproar is a nice sport plane but I wanted this to be a bit more 3d-ish, so there are numerous changes. I'm getting a bit better at this designing thing to go together like a jigsaw puzzle, no plans needed (except the stick control surfaces of course). I only forgot one piece on the laser cutting files, but didn't take long to hand cut it from lite ply. The only other "oops" was a slot for the tab and slot construction, that I left 1/8" too short. 10 seconds with an exacto and that was corrected since it was balsa. What you see is a total of 3 hours work from looking at the laser cut parts sheets. not earth shattering, but I think it's fairly quick.
Latest blog entry: blog
to remove ads between posts
May 02, 2017, 02:11 PM
Used to sell lots of Uproars when I worked in the hobby shop. A pretty versatile plane.

I love purple, too.

Andy
May 02, 2017, 02:46 PM
Thread OP
when I had the kit business going, my most popular planes were the E3D's (sold in 3 sizes, had the 90" version I never kitted). Most all of them I built had a transparent purple and opaque yellow scheme. Thought I'd go back there since it's been a number of years
May 02, 2017, 06:41 PM
I built this July 2008 in the Hawthorne Suites where Horizon put me up when I moved here. I bet the cleaning lady liked me :O Mega 16-15-4, 7x5 thin prop, 8 KAN 1050 cells. Truly unlimited vertical. I have another under construction right now for 3S 1200's.

I like purple and yellow too. Guess living in the Monticello school district kinda makes that necessary, though.

Andy
May 03, 2017, 11:33 AM
son of a pilot
Looks great. Will the wing be removable?
May 03, 2017, 12:34 PM
Thread OP
no sir. It's only 40 inches, and I didn't want the weight of providing for a removable wing. Im just doing this for me. Of course that's how the crazE wing started also.........
May 03, 2017, 03:52 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Hello Gary,

I just pre-ordered the new V2 from Tower. I have a couple spare .46's laying around doing nothing and the price is right plus I really like the new looks. I built the .60 size with an Enya .80x a while back but had to put it in storage before I could fly it. This one'll keep me busy until I can settle down someplace and unpack everything.

BTW... what motor is it you've been using for these little electrics?

Mike
May 04, 2017, 06:54 AM
Thread OP
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAUTG&P=ML
this one
May 04, 2017, 07:53 AM
Thread OP
Haven't been able to spend a lot of time in the workshop, only an hour or two ea evening and a little in the morning. Just over eight hours workshop time thus far from when I was looking at laser cut sheet of wood, but I thought I'd post a few pics to update. Still need to finish covering the fuselage and two hatches (top and bottom) then I can install equipment.
May 05, 2017, 07:47 AM
Thread OP
Little more progress. primary covering is on. Will need to continue the yellow tip stripes on ailerons, but will wait till it's together ad they're hinged so they match nicely. A little more yellow is planned here and there, but at least it looks like an airplane now. Other plans yesterday after work so not much time in the workshop.
May 05, 2017, 08:00 AM
Pretty awesome, Gary!
May 05, 2017, 09:52 AM
son of a pilot
Looks fantastic!
May 05, 2017, 08:27 PM
Thread OP
I hate to jinx it, but I'll share anyway. The goal for the wing loading I want and for the power system that I know well, is 40 ounces or less. I know that motor on the 4s/2550 packs I like, and a 10X5.5MR prop is good for 3d at 40 ounces. Ok still with a standard 10X5E prop too I just like the bit of extra thrust from the wider multirotor prop. The last pictures are at 16 ounces. equipment to install is another 16. Landing gear should add just over an ounce, so it looks like it may just come in under goal. Of course something always happens, maybe needing some weight to make CG or pushrods and control horns adding more than expected,... but I'm optimistic.
May 07, 2017, 05:37 AM
Thread OP
Hopefully I can finish this up after golf today. Need to mount the two tail servos, install control horns, and make pushrods.
May 10, 2017, 08:39 AM
Progress?

Quick Reply