May 02, 2017, 11:27 AM
Silent but deadly
Thread OP
Discussion

scratch build wing thing

I got a set of plans from someone a long while back. It was a combat plane (Kombatt) that I found online. I liked the profile of it, but the wing was really thick. I contacted the designer and he said I could do whatever I wanted with it. I thought it might be something that could go faster. So, I printed them off and then hand drew the ribs as I have zero CAD skills. I added some wing tips and reduced the tail fins by nearly half of their original area. The finished project turned out ok. I didn't spend a lot of time cleaning up and rounding the surface all that much as I just wanted to see if it would even fly. I'm quite happy with it's performance. I'm using some cheap out runner motor that came out of an old 70mm EDF that I got a few years back. I don't have any video as of yet. I will be building another one and that one will get more special treatment. I have even contemplated making a plug and trying my hand at molding it. The name came from the maiden flight. My son said I needed to call it wolfy because it howls like a wolf when it flies. It is some weird prop noise. That went away when I got rid of the crap 4.75x4.75 prop and put an APC on it. I have no idea how fast it goes, but from past experience I'd guess over 110 MPH. If I can get it clocked I will update.

I did get 4 more flights on it at SEFF on Friday evening and Saturday.

Thanks,
CRASH_Jim
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply