May 02, 2017, 07:49 AM
Contest

F5J in Visalia 2017

F5J in Visalia 2017

Central Valley RC Soaring Club is pleased to announce theinaugural 2017 CVRC F5J Open Internationalat the premier soaring site in central California. Tim Johnson and ClaudeTurner will be the co-CD’s for this event.

Most soaring pilots know about our site in Visalia, CA, butsome may not know there have been a few changes, some semi-permanent, some not.In the past two years almond and walnut orchards have been planted around thefield. Now, we are mostly surrounded by trees with the exception of the 40acres to our east. This year, having higher than normal rainfall the irrigationdistrict, which controls the basins surrounding the field, have kept the basinsfull of water, so this limits our practice areas. We have been told thiscondition will last till early fall.

We are planning on completing qualifying rounds by 1:00PM onSunday, followed by 3 flyoff rounds, and hope to finish up by 3:00PM, so peoplecan get driving home.
Wewill be using smartphone scoring so if you have a smartphone you will be ableto enter scores for yourself and your buddy. Shortly before the contest we willsend out an email with more details on this.
Registration is now open, go to CVRC’s website: cvrcsoaring.com the link is onthe bottom of the home page or go to RCSoaring’s contest page: http://www.rcsoaring.com/. Please fill outthe form completely including AMA#. On the registration page under ‘Notes’there is a “Rules and Processes” document.Please review, these rules are very similar to the ‘F5J in the Desert’ rules,including waiving the no-restart FAI F5J rule. Entry fees will be $55 forseniors and $30 for juniors. Lunch will be provided both Saturday and Sunday.

Lots of good information can be found at www.f5j-usa.com/ including rulesexplanations and a link to the current FAI rules.

The F5J CVRC Open International contest will be a part ofthe F5J-USA Tour (http://www.f5j-usa.com/f5j-usa-tour-information/)as well as the international F5J Intertour (
http://www.trnavaf3j.sk/cms/news.php).

Each model flown must be equipped with an approved F5Jlogging altimeter. A list of currently approved altimeters is shown below:

FAI F5J approved altimeter list:
Altis v3
Altis v4+
Altis v4
Altis Micro
CAMF5J
Grk Elec Altmr2
Mvario2_JetiBox
RCE #2Basic
RCE Multi 2
SM Unilog 2

Thanks,
Tim Johnson
Last edited by tim_j58; Sep 07, 2017 at 05:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 02, 2017, 08:09 AM
Where is the lift?

June 3rd & 4th

Charlie
May 02, 2017, 10:32 PM

F5J in Visalia 2017 - FAI Rules Variation

Per the FAI protocol any variation to the published rules must be approved. To facilitate as many flight landing/launching lanes as possible on our field, we have asked for and been given approval to use lanes 9 meters (29.5ft) wide instead of the 10 meter minimum.

Thanks,
Tim
May 03, 2017, 07:55 AM
Where is the lift?
Tim, how many lanes will be available?

Charlie
May 03, 2017, 12:34 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_j58
Per the FAI protocol any variation to the published rules must be approved. To facilitate as many flight landing/launching lanes as possible on our field, we have asked for and been given approval to use lanes 9 meters (29.5ft) wide instead of the 10 meter minimum.

Thanks,
Tim
Those MASS simultaneous launches CAN be SCAREY!
I personally like as much space as possible between lanes,, but that's just me .
May 03, 2017, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74
Those MASS simultaneous launches CAN be SCAREY!
I personally like as much space as possible between lanes,, but that's just me .
They don't have to be scary.
Anyone uncomfortable with launching with the group can simply delay a second or two and launch behind the crowd.

Lenny
May 03, 2017, 01:02 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy
Tim, how many lanes will be available?
I believe it will be 9 lanes
May 03, 2017, 01:16 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny970
Anyone uncomfortable with launching with the group can simply delay a second or two and launch behind the crowd.

Lenny
But then I'd lose 1-2secs of my time since I HAVE to land before F5J clock stops to get points right??
May 03, 2017, 02:53 PM
Oleg Golovidov
If you are worried about losing 1-2 seconds of time, then most likely
1. you are very confident that you can launch lower or at same altitude as other pilots
2. you are experienced enough to NOT be scared of the "mass" launch

1-2 seconds = 2-4 meters difference in launch height.
F5J is usually won by a lot more than 1-2 seconds worth of points.
If you worry about your model, sacrifice 2 seconds, or even 5 seconds.
May 03, 2017, 03:58 PM
Original Bloody Spadder
Tim. What is that the max number of pilots ? Are you going to have a pilots signed up list
John
May 03, 2017, 04:23 PM
Team Futaba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny970

Lenny
Or launch on time but launch flat and drive out a bit until clear of the pack.

I plan on being there. Gotta make up for wimping out in Sandy Valley!
May 03, 2017, 04:26 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgol
If you are worried about losing 1-2 seconds of time, then most likely
1. you are very confident that you can launch lower or at same altitude as other pilots
2. you are experienced enough to NOT be scared of the "mass" launch

1-2 seconds = 2-4 meters difference in launch height.
F5J is usually won by a lot more than 1-2 seconds worth of points.
If you worry about your model, sacrifice 2 seconds, or even 5 seconds.
Good point
May 03, 2017, 05:29 PM

F5J in Visalia - Pilot List

1. Bill Malvey
2. Randy West
3. Tim Johnson
4. Justin Rizor
5. Chris Bajorek
6. Mark Browning
7. John Armstrong
8. Frank Campbell
9. Ed LaCroix
10. Steve Willison
11. Rick Johnston
12. Scott Cahn
13. Ali Khani
14. Jonathan Garber
15. Tuan Le
16. Jerry Molnar
17. Lenny Keer
18. Aric Wilmunder
19. Larry Jolly
Last edited by tim_j58; Jun 01, 2017 at 08:04 PM.
May 03, 2017, 05:33 PM

Max number of Pilots

Quote:
Originally Posted by proppy jon
Tim. What is that the max number of pilots ? Are you going to have a pilots signed up list
John

I don't have plans to limit the number of pilots at the moment. We will use 9 lanes on the top lawn, and we have other options with the lower lawn area if there is a large turnout.

Tim
May 03, 2017, 06:28 PM
Where is the lift?
9 sounds pretty good

Charlie

Quick Reply