Aurora 9X - 'flaperon - spoileron' mix method? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
May 01, 2017, 09:54 AM
All Thumbs
Question

Aurora 9X - 'flaperon - spoileron' mix method?


Hello,

I have an Aurora 9X and Optima Rx (and a Maxima 6), and a few airframes with strip ailerons. I punch in "2AILE", tail type, etc. This automatically sets aileron mixing - great!

How do we set-up 'flaperon - spoileron' on a slider? Camber adjustment?

I've tried the manual and searching the web. Still at a loss.

Thanks and much appreciated!

Ran
Bexley, OH
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2017, 10:43 AM
Team Hitec, Customer Support
Xpress..'s Avatar
Yes, use Camber Adjustment. You can assign the control to either slider. What's neat is you can assign a switch to turn the function on or off so you don't inadvertently move the slider when you don't want the function to work.
Latest blog entry: The Pilot Yak Saga
May 01, 2017, 11:18 AM
All Thumbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
Yes, use Camber Adjustment. You can assign the control to either slider. What's neat is you can assign a switch to turn the function on or off so you don't inadvertently move the slider when you don't want the function to work.
NOW I get it. Thank-you Xpress!

BTW, when looking at Camber, I had thought that having both the slider *and* the switch would get me into a conflict situation, and I was thinking "oh no... I'll really mess this up." Rather, it's a simple On-Off for the slider - and that is good news. With the old F-8U-Spectra, we can have this, but on one of the center knobs. Hitec can give this to us on a slider. Ergonomics win!

Please, put this in the manual!? Or in the A-9X FAQ's? This is another solid feature from Hitec.

Cheers!

Ran
May 02, 2017, 10:50 AM
Team Hitec, Customer Support
Xpress..'s Avatar
The manual is just something for a quick reference to find a function, we usually recommend ignoring the manual entirely and playing with the transmitter, it's very intuitive and easy to navigate. If we added every single functionality this transmitter is capable of to the manual then it would rival the full 20 volume Oxford English Dictionary!
Latest blog entry: The Pilot Yak Saga
May 04, 2017, 12:01 PM
User Registered
gaudenti's Avatar
Hey Xpress, can the Flash 8 do the same - flaperons on a slider? I'm looking at the manual and it looks like you can only assign flaperons (camber) to a switch?
May 04, 2017, 03:11 PM
Team Hitec, Customer Support
Xpress..'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaudenti
Hey Xpress, can the Flash 8 do the same - flaperons on a slider? I'm looking at the manual and it looks like you can only assign flaperons (camber) to a switch?
The Flash 8 is a little more simple so you can't use the slider, you're limited to just the switches.
Latest blog entry: The Pilot Yak Saga
May 05, 2017, 07:45 PM
User Registered
gaudenti's Avatar
Thanks. I actually found a way to do it on the Flash 8 using the butterfly mix with the throttle controlling flaperon position. Good enough. I guess I could rewire the throttle to the slider to get exactly what I want.
May 08, 2017, 11:04 AM
Team Hitec, Customer Support
Xpress..'s Avatar
You could also probably do ii through a P.Mix as well, there's usually more than one way to skin a cat.
Latest blog entry: The Pilot Yak Saga
Jul 03, 2017, 11:57 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Thanks for this, it was a question I would have asked myself, glad I searched first. I'd also like to know if there's any more I can read about the "C and S" (combination/separate) feature, I can see it'd offer many more permutations and ways to do stuff, but when and how to use it is a little beyond me. The manual barely touches on it... anyone know a good walk-through I can read? Or can anyone give me an example of when and why I'd use it? Thanks in advance.
Jul 03, 2017, 05:01 PM
All Thumbs

"C and S" -??


Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardW
Thanks for this, it was a question I would have asked myself, glad I searched first. I'd also like to know if there's any more I can read about the "C and S" (combination/separate) feature, I can see it'd offer many more permutations and ways to do stuff, but when and how to use it is a little beyond me. The manual barely touches on it... anyone know a good walk-through I can read? Or can anyone give me an example of when and why I'd use it? Thanks in advance.
Good question Bernard! I'll play with these a bit and post results?

Cheers!

Update: (Hey, where's Don Edberg when you need him!? )

http://hitecrcd.com/faqs/radios/aurora-9

Q. How would I use flight conditions?

A. These are used to make quick changes to multiple things like mixes, D/R, Expo etc… It's also a good idea to assign flight conditions to the same switches that you have assigned for a specific mix to prevent interaction between mixes to prevent from overdriving the servos in case each mix affects the same control surface.

Q. When programming, I see a "C" in some of the menus, what is this?

A.The "C" stands for "Combined" which means that the settings will stay the same throughout the flight conditions. In some cases you no want this to occur. To change this to “S” (for "Separate") press the "C" button.

. . .

See: p.100, A9X Manual

"C and S, Combination and Separate “movement value” set-ups.

This is a huge feature. Take the time to understand it, as using the C and S option will expand the Aurora 9X’s capability
in a dramatic way.

When you have several different Flight Modes set-up, as you program control surface movement values into any of the
following features, you can choose to have those values be associated with the C or S icon. This means:
- The C values will work in Combination with all other features with a C value.
- The S values will work Separately from the C value functions."

. . .

I'm still at the Confused stage, but I have the Tx handy and an Rx mounted w/ servos to observe the action. More later as I mess up figure out how to use these.

Cheers!
Last edited by Ranald; Jul 03, 2017 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Data Update
Jul 04, 2017, 12:26 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranald
I'm still at the Confused stage, but I have the Tx handy and an Rx mounted w/ servos to observe the action. More later as I mess up figure out how to use these.
Aha, so we can think of it as either Confusing or Sure (of what it does). That's why it defaults to C I guess
Much appreciated, I really don't get how you use it or exactly what it does, but it's something advanced. If you do find anything more I'd be very interested to see it. Thanks again. BW
Jul 05, 2017, 09:28 AM
Team Hitec, Customer Support
Xpress..'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardW
Aha, so we can think of it as either Confusing or Sure (of what it does). That's why it defaults to C I guess
Much appreciated, I really don't get how you use it or exactly what it does, but it's something advanced. If you do find anything more I'd be very interested to see it. Thanks again. BW
Combined means your mixes, rates, functions, etc. will be utilized throughout your flight conditions and Separate means that your functions are just used for the one particular condition. Generally though, a flight condition is created to give you a different set of variables for each condition- pattern and IMAC pilots often use flight conditions with their airplanes because they need different mixes at different points in their flights. The best way to see what is going on is just to play with the transmitter.
Latest blog entry: The Pilot Yak Saga
Jul 05, 2017, 10:41 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
Combined means your mixes, rates, functions, etc. will be utilized throughout your flight conditions and Separate means that your functions are just used for the one particular condition. Generally though, a flight condition is created to give you a different set of variables for each condition- pattern and IMAC pilots often use flight conditions with their airplanes because they need different mixes at different points in their flights. The best way to see what is going on is just to play with the transmitter.
Thanks very much, with your explanation this feature finally makes sense to me. Put that way, I can see it could be pretty useful. I have to admit, the more I learn about programming the 9X the more impressed I am, both its capabilities and the ease of exploiting them. I'm reaching the point where I want to learn more about its features, and am finding as I do it's been well worth the effort and very straightforward. I did try setting up flaperons for the first time today, based on this thread, and I won't be able to try it flying until the weekend but it was a good example of something the radio can do for you, and of ease of use. I'm impressed. Next flight, I'll calibrate elevator-to-camber and it's all set to go, should only take a moment. I like the way it's done, with camber on the right slider, an aux. trim to set the elevator I want and a switch to cut it in or out... it's even a 3-pos. switch so I can have alternative mixes if I want, and that was my first time attempting any of this. It wasn't hard. I'm finding more and more features I appreciate, probably all old hat to most people experienced with digital radios but I'm still learning. I keep finding more reasons to be happy with the 9X.
Jul 05, 2017, 05:06 PM
All Thumbs

Thanks Bernard & Xpress


Thanks gents! This is starting to make sense here too.

Hey Bernard, please let us know how the experiments run! My glider kit is on it's way - am a bit behind in field work.

Looking forward to trying this out. Cheers!
Jul 06, 2017, 12:38 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
I will indeed, that model is due for a thorough trim and shake-down flight this weekend, and what I really want to do is set some elevator to camber mix and then LAND with it! Just so I know I've done it. Someone built a modified version of this model with separate flaps and says he got his nice slow landings like he wanted with just a little on, I will be rapt if I can make that work this way. I know it's old hat for many modellers out there but it's all new territory for me so every new step is a lot of fun. Will let you know!


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Dx6i with proportional Flaperons and Spoilerons beamerboy Radios 0 Apr 16, 2017 11:58 AM
Question Flaperons or Spoilerons Batfire2000 Thermal 3 Feb 09, 2017 12:30 PM
Help! Spoilerons setup for sailplane on Hitec Aurora 9X Quaddra Radios 0 Sep 14, 2016 04:05 PM