Sep 30, 2017, 07:38 AM
Dont forget the velcro straps
They were left doen
to remove ads between posts
Sep 30, 2017, 07:41 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Karl,
We did not retract the gear. After the first aborted takeoff where she would not rotate, we cut 3/4" off the rear struts to lower the back and give a greater AOA on the runway. Once we did that, due to the geometry of the gear struts, if we retracted the gear the wheels would hit the side of the fuse. I even had to cut off the rear gear doors when we shortened the struts.
So more gear issues but I think we are getting closer to figuring it all out.
And the plane itself is a great flier.

J
Sep 30, 2017, 08:09 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhspring
Great job all. That makes a clean hat trick for the Morgan Skunk Works. You have to be totally chuffed, John. Well done!

Regards,
Jeff
Well put Jeff! I am totally chuffed.
Successful maidens on the EB-66C, IL-2, B-52D, and AC-130 have put me in a very good place.
Only other plane that I brought is the veteran B-26 and it will fly today along with another flight on the AC-130.
It has been a very good week.

J
Sep 30, 2017, 10:48 AM
P. Seitz
Don't you just love it when a plan comes together. Blue sky good friends .and a hanger full of airplanes that need to be flown. The Buff looks like a keeper !

Paul
Sep 30, 2017, 09:48 PM
The 52 ia Awesome John ... Congrats!!!

R
Sep 30, 2017, 10:51 PM
Mike
Congrats to everyone! She looks great in the air! Awesome job!
Sep 30, 2017, 11:09 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thanks Paul, Randy, Mike

The BUFF is a keeper. We have been discussing for several days on how to approach the fix
on the steering units. Wade thinks he has it worked out. We will make the necessary adjustments and try again.
It is still trying to stick to the runway a bit. I'm thinking I may want to put flaps on it. That would solve the problem and I think I can do it with a minimal weight gain. It would also help get it on the ground, it gets into ground effect and just doesn't want to come down.
Need to check the video from yesterday to see how long we flew. The batts were at 54% when Nut landed it. Not even barely warm. We were estimating 2400 watts and 240 amps at full power. I could see it taking off and shortly thereafter simply vaporize. Evidently we aren't seeing that, maybe it is unloading in the air because nothing is running remotely hot and it was a very hot day today, close to 90 F. But Nut was not running anywhere near full power either except for takeoff and climb to altitude. I guess we'll see how these fans hold up.

J
Sep 30, 2017, 11:43 PM
They call me Lipo...
3 minutes from wheels up to wheels down
Oct 01, 2017, 07:44 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit
3 minutes from wheels up to wheels down
Thanks John,
And it was a really hot day, Nut told me it was taking more throttle than the first flight, fighting density altitude

J.
Oct 02, 2017, 12:47 PM
The BUFF was so cool to watch fly!!!!!
The silhouette when overhead was hard to tell from a full scale at altitude, great design Sparky!
Wonderful build John absolutely first rate.
Excellent job on the sticks Nut, you are quite the test pilot!
Nice video Lipo, captured the moment just right.
Oct 02, 2017, 02:43 PM
thanks rossaer!
Oct 02, 2017, 05:22 PM
Foam abuser!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
Thanks John,
And it was a really hot day, Nut told me it was taking more throttle than the first flight, fighting density altitude

J.
I asked the guys at the field Saturday, and they said the SG airport is at 2900' ASL. Add in the hot day and there you go. Sorry I missed it flying, would have liked to see that. But at least I got to see her in person, even if just sitting on the ground.

Pat
Oct 02, 2017, 11:09 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thanks Al

Pat, Wish you could have seen it. and I just looked at the photos when it was near the mesa. Near? Damned close would be more accurate.
I knew Nut was getting close. Beanie, George and Hans busted you!!!! You are on report sir!

A couple of issues to be resolved. One is the long takeoff run, she hesitates to unstick. Increasing the AOA of how it sits helped a lot but still a long run.
I'm planning to add flaps. That should help us even more and I can do it with minimal weight gain.

Second is the retraction of the gear. With the rears shortened, now it needs yet more of the fuse cutout in order to tuck them up. Not sure I'm happy
with that. It is just the geometry is so funky that I'm not even sold on retracts thinking fixed gear would be so much better. But then I don't like the looks
of a plane with retractable gear flying around with the gear hanging down. It's a Catch 22. Wade and I will discuss that. So just a couple of things to work out but the good thing is that she flies great!

J
Oct 02, 2017, 11:59 PM
I think the pics make it look closer than it was

Maybe you guys can talk with bernie and see what he did for gear
Oct 03, 2017, 11:59 AM
Mike
John, I was thinking you would be updating your profile picture with the B52 shot.

Quick Reply