May 01, 2017, 10:29 PM
Pro Hoarder
Nice Keith! I bet that thing sounds like a monster at full throttle....8 screeming 50mm edf...Wow No make that 35mm..is that what I saw on the box?
Latest blog entry: In flight
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2017, 10:42 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
35mm (from what I can see)..

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
May 01, 2017, 11:01 PM

Woody
May 01, 2017, 11:30 PM

Sub'd
May 02, 2017, 07:06 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
Sub'd

Mike
May 02, 2017, 09:25 AM
When cows fly!
Two builds at the same time! I am gonna love this one
May 02, 2017, 09:26 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Always a treat to see friends enjoying a dual build. Awesome guys! I guarantee the Colonel is smiling as much as we are.
May 02, 2017, 11:32 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Certainly hope so Tony. I'm still unpacking from SEFF and need to do a bit of cleaning before I get started in the next couple of days. But sure looking forward to it.
Also going to Shelbyville to pick up some new foam for the build.
But Sparky will keep us entertained I'm sure.
Anyone thinking about this build, or any foam build for that matter, if you don't have Sparky's book then you need to get one. All kinds of tips and time saving methods, I refer back to it every so often just to refresh.

J
May 02, 2017, 04:20 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Steve, In 1970 I was playing foot ball game at another school. The field was at the approach to Carswell AFB.
The coach noticed I was counting rivets as they flew over (Very close)
He smacked my helmet and told me to get my priorities straight.
Guess I did coach.
May 02, 2017, 04:21 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
I drew a line on the fuselage sides only 3/4 inch from the edge to show me where to sand. just enough to rough the surface, you want the glue to have something to hold on to.
May 02, 2017, 04:23 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Use the fuselage top and bottom panels to mark the sides of the fuselage where the taper starts.
( where the foam stops touching.)
Apply The White Gorilla glue to the fuselage sides.
One narrow bead is all that is needed about 1/8" wide and 1/2 inch from the edge.
This is because we want to avoid blow outs.
Apply weights evenly to the panels and check that both panels are square to the work surface and flush to the edge of the side panel.
Give it a half hour to set up.
May 02, 2017, 04:24 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Repeat the bond to the other side.
BTW- my weights are lead and weigh 3 pounds.
A very important tool to have for foam building.
May 02, 2017, 04:25 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
The next bond requires the top of the fuselage to be flat so I used a wallpaper scraper replacement blade to remove the glue "blow out".
The bottom panel is going to require a bend to match the fuselage tapered angle.
The problem is this bend is tight so a scrap piece of foam is needed for support.
The scrap is cut to fit the fuselage with a snug fit touching the top and bottom of the inside of the fuselage.
I held it in place with two sided tape but you could get away with a dot of epoxy.
Just remember it gets removed later.
May 02, 2017, 04:27 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
You have about 20 min for the next bond but work quickly any way.

Apply a line of Gorilla glue to a flat surface and use a playing card to wipe a bit of it up to apply it to the narrow gaps where the bottle will not reach.
Apply glue to the rest of the bond area on the fuselage sides and close the sides at the top first.
Apply masking tape to hold it together lay it on its back.
Push the belly panel in place and hold the sides together with tape.
Note the use of T" pins to hold the surfaces flush.
In short, the pins keep it from shifting and tape provides the clamp pressure.
May 02, 2017, 04:29 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

My Nose

The first shot shows the nose of the B-52 being scratch built. The top and side profile is cut from a stack of blocks to get me started.
Sanding it to the proper shape is not easy.
Yours will look different and is much easier to make.
I call it sectional construction and its covered in the book .
What you wind up with is a stack of foam discs that get smaller toward the front and all you do is sand off the corners.

Quick Reply