Thread Tools
May 24, 2017, 07:43 PM
RC 4 Life
sparks's Avatar
Thread OP
This assembly will move the stab. The short kit will come with laser cut pieces that will make this component look much better.
Two slots are cut into the "roof" of the fuselage and the assembly is bonded in the slot.
Be sure to do your test fits and make sure it moves smoothly before bonding.
84 85 86
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2017, 07:45 PM
RC 4 Life
sparks's Avatar
Thread OP

The Fin


There is not much room in the back of the fuselage to hide the rigging to turn the rudder. I suppose you could go the ARF route and burry the servo in the fin like I mentioned before but I wanted it hidden.
I drilled the hole for the torque rod, test fitted the fin and traced its position on the fuselage. For a better bond I disturbed the foam on the base of the fin and bond area on the fuselage.
May 24, 2017, 07:47 PM
RC 4 Life
sparks's Avatar
Thread OP
With the fuselage secured on the table I used weights and tape to clamp the fin in place. 30 min epoxy gave me time for adjustments . A framing square was very handy but in the end looking at it from every direction made it right.
Just be sure it is on the centerline.
May 25, 2017, 08:54 AM
When cows fly!
Great pictures! Very explanatory and helpful!
May 25, 2017, 10:52 AM
Pro Hoarder
turbonut's Avatar
Great Idea for the elevator control. I will have to copy that on a future project. Only thing I would try to do is set it up so the servo pulls for up elevator. No possibility of flexing the control cable that way..
Latest blog entry: In flight
May 25, 2017, 06:31 PM
EB-66C Team Member
J Morgan's Avatar
And that is a good thought on the elevator Scott. I learned this all flying stab from GGRN years ago. I believe it's a system used all the time on sailplanes.

I managed to get some work done on the 52 today. I have gotten the whole fuse glassed now. I used 1.5 oz glass/epoxy and just need a filler coat or two later for the final finish.
Hot wired the stabs and vertical/rudder. I used Sparky's method for sanding to the templates and that went well. Did the TE a little different. Always good to show different methods.
Once I had the TE drawn, I sliced it with a knife about 3/8" deep and glued in 1/64" ply. After the GG dried, I cut it flush and sanded it flat. Then all I had to do was sand to the ply to get a nice strong TE on those surfaces.
Just got in the tubes and wire for the controls so I can make a little more progress now.

J
May 25, 2017, 06:44 PM
Pro Hoarder
turbonut's Avatar
I bet this thing is going to be pretty fast...Has Wade run up the fans yet?
Latest blog entry: In flight
May 25, 2017, 08:43 PM
EB-66C Team Member
J Morgan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
I bet this thing is going to be pretty fast...Has Wade run up the fans yet?
If he has, he hasn't told me.

Not sure what is going on with the HK inventory system. The other day I checked and they claimed in stock. It was EU warehouse and I tried to order some.
Would only let me order two. Then at checkout it claimed they couldn't ship to me from there??? Must be that the fans are still back ordered.

J
May 25, 2017, 10:22 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
bdelapen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
If he has, he hasn't told me.

Not sure what is going on with the HK inventory system. The other day I checked and they claimed in stock. It was EU warehouse and I tried to order some.
Would only let me order two. Then at checkout it claimed they couldn't ship to me from there??? Must be that the fans are still back ordered.

J
It's not an inventory issue. It's the way HK is set up to handle international shipping and customs. US can only purchase from the two US warehouses and from the Hong Kong warehouse. They have a motor in EU I want to purchase but no luck, I would have to find someone in EU to purchase it for me and then ship it to me, not worth the hassle.

Seeing inventory in warehouses you don't have access to is a side effect of when they consolidated item codes so that the same product in different locations doesn't have different pages.

- Birger
May 26, 2017, 04:58 AM
EB-66C Team Member
J Morgan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen
It's not an inventory issue. It's the way HK is set up to handle international shipping and customs. US can only purchase from the two US warehouses and from the Hong Kong warehouse. They have a motor in EU I want to purchase but no luck, I would have to find someone in EU to purchase it for me and then ship it to me, not worth the hassle.

Seeing inventory in warehouses you don't have access to is a side effect of when they consolidated item codes so that the same product in different locations doesn't have different pages.

- Birger
Ah I see. Thanks for the info Birger. Wish we could look in our crystal ball and know when their backorder will come in.
They had a battery on sale two weeks before SEFF that I ordered 3 of, still waiting for them.

J
May 26, 2017, 08:31 AM
Registered User
**neons**'s Avatar
I have been a customer over 6 years with HK. I was at Joe Nall and spoke with a sales person at their tent. He was not a good representative that can work with customers. I told him I ordered a motor and 3 Corona DSSS receivers on March 3rd and I received them the 2 days before I went to Joe Nall on 12th. Over 2 months delivery. The rep's answer was to use DSL shipping. If I ordered the receivers on eBay I would of had them faster with free shipping at a slightly more cost . I am very shy right now to make further orders with HK.
**Neons**Bob
May 26, 2017, 09:56 AM
Registered User
I try to avoid getting anything from the international warehouse if possible for that same reason. I've had good luck with the US warehouse.
May 27, 2017, 12:09 PM
Registered User
Cherokee Flyer's Avatar
THE US warehouse as they have closed the East one.

L.
May 28, 2017, 10:09 PM
Registered User
radfordc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by **neons**
I have been a customer over 6 years with HK. I was at Joe Nall and spoke with a sales person at their tent. He was not a good representative that can work with customers. I told him I ordered a motor and 3 Corona DSSS receivers on March 3rd and I received them the 2 days before I went to Joe Nall on 12th. Over 2 months delivery. The rep's answer was to use DSL shipping. If I ordered the receivers on eBay I would of had them faster with free shipping at a slightly more cost . I am very shy right now to make further orders with HK.
**Neons**Bob
The HK website shows that the "cheap" shipping can take over a month. DSL is 3-10 days.
Latest blog entry: Assembling a Spandau kit.
May 28, 2017, 10:33 PM
Foam addict
4stripes's Avatar
HK is usually a decent deal but my shipping times range from 10 days to two months with the cheapest shipping. Not a problem since I order in advance of future projects. Never order anything that is backordered!

For fast delivery I can't say enough about RCCastle (even using their cheapest shipping). If you want something yesterday then go to the local shop but often they don't stock anything I'm looking for in EDF.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Advice for building 5 ft wing span/12 lbm model airplane? mutyo051026 Modeling Science 4 Sep 23, 2016 04:26 PM
Discussion 4-ft span foam glider from Wal-Mart, converted to R/C? Little-Acorn Foamies (Kits) 433 Mar 29, 2015 11:09 AM
Discussion 7 ft. span 757 - my first DF project sparks RC Airliners (Commercial, Cargo, Troop Carrier) 400 Feb 17, 2012 06:59 AM
Discussion 7 ft foam and balsa eagle. macboffin Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 5 Feb 20, 2011 04:55 AM
7 Ft. Span Airliner keith sparks Foamies (Kits) 41 Jun 09, 2004 12:16 PM