B-52 7 ft. SPAN , Foam construction - RC Groups
May 01, 2017, 08:52 AM
RC 4 Life
Build Log

B-52 7 ft. SPAN , Foam construction

Span 82 length 72 flying weight 7.5 Lb. inch Foam insulation panel construction.
This one has been on my list for a long time so here it is.
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2017, 08:54 AM
RC 4 Life
I will use this slot for current developments.
Watch for flying photos / videos here later.

Here is the link to the short kit.
http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=771
Last edited by sparks; Jul 23, 2017 at 04:57 PM.
May 01, 2017, 08:57 AM
RC 4 Life

Development

I made a much smaller version of a B-52 years ago when we were still flying NiCad's and brushed motors.
It started life with a single pusher prop in the tail. Later it was modified as a twin prop jet and I flew it for a few years.
May 01, 2017, 09:03 AM
RC 4 Life
Believing that the B-52 is basically a swept wing glider I decided to clear a portion of my bucket list with a larger one. As construction moved on with this one you will see that its first 4 flights was as a hand launched glider to establish wing and stab angles. From there it was flown with a single prop mounted to the nose. The thought was to extend its glide but I found I could do gentle turns. This would be an easy model to make as a Slope glider or twin prop jet but I had to go all the way knowing I could back into that later if needed.

DO NOT use these Fan units
Turns out they are crap
Last edited by sparks; Jul 21, 2017 at 05:50 PM. Reason: BAD FANS
May 01, 2017, 09:07 AM
RC 4 Life

Availability

This B-52 Will be available on the website Parkflyerplastics as a short kit Soon.

The nacelles are available now through THIS LINK.

The short kit will include:
Plans, plotter printed and folded to save shipping cost.
Laser cut wood, ply wood is needed in several places for strength and as patterns
Tail gun detail, vac formed tail gun detail made in with .030 plastic (4 pieces)
Nosecone/canopy, this is a single clear piece that fits over the nose of the foam fuselage to ease the hard part of sanding the foam to shape.
Nacelles, 4 ea. three piece nacelles formed with .030 plastic plus one spare inlet for setting the fan unit spacing.
May 01, 2017, 09:09 AM
RC 4 Life

Experience

The experience needed largely depends on how far you plan to take it .
If your intention is to build it as a slope glider all you need is foam building experience, Go 8 EDF's and it gets complex.
If You have no Foam building experience I strongly suggest the book "Building with foam." The book was written to show you how to make tools and equipment from what you already have or can obtain easily. The book contains 20 years of experience and explains what to do as well as what not to do. There is too much in it to cover in a single post so It will be mentioned in this thread from time to time.
May 01, 2017, 09:12 AM
RC 4 Life

The Catch / Offer

Anyone new to foam building will have a hard time cutting the foam wing. This is due to its length and taper.
I no longer cut foam parts for kits due to space available. The plastic work I do has taken over my shop as it is.

So . . . . . anyone willing to cut wings for this design is welcome to post a link on this thread. I'll be happy to direct builders your way .
This holds true for all my foam designs as well.

This wing is not scale so don't think you can take it to "Top Gun" .
It is a little thicker than scale and not as tapered. For the above reason and so it will fly better.
May 01, 2017, 09:14 AM
RC 4 Life
Construction is next, get subscribed and I'll get started soon.
May 01, 2017, 10:52 AM
HOWEEE!!! Suscribed.
May 01, 2017, 11:56 AM
May 01, 2017, 05:22 PM
RC 4 Life

Construction

With all the promotion stuff done its time for fun.
I started with just a three view so some of my photos will not look like your build.
Example: the length of the tail gun is shorter on the plans because I made tail gun details available to make your job easier.

I put the plans over the sheet of 3/4 inch foam insulation with a few weights on the plans to prevent it from moving.
I use a sharpened wire to poke holes in the plans where there is a corner or turn.
I believe dress makers call it "pouncing"
With the weights still in place I lifted the edge of the plans to find the holes made in the foam. I marked the holes with a pen so they would be easy to find. With the plans removed it was just a matter of connect the dots to lay out the fuselage.

Since the sides and the top and bottom are identical I cut them at the same time with a hot wire. If you go razor or scroll saw for the cut I suggest cutting them one at a time using the first cut as a pattern for the second.
May 01, 2017, 10:01 PM
its TALON TIME!
Awesome!!!!! Cant wait to see these!!!
May 01, 2017, 10:23 PM
EB-66C Team Member
I have the plans, plastics, and foam wings from Sparky and will be tagging along on this build. Eight EDFs are sort of out of my league but I do have a some friends with quite a bit experience. I asked Sparky if he would mind if I changed a few things on the build to use methods that I prefer in certain areas. He said sure so I guess there might be a bit of difference in how we approach the build.
He is way ahead of me but that's a great advantage for me because I'll be able to see how he is solving problems.
Haven't even had time to unload from SEFF yet but really looking forward to this build and expect to be cutting foam soon.

J
May 01, 2017, 10:44 PM
Foam abuser!
Always been a big fan (pun intended) of the BUFF. Will be following along with interest.

Pat
May 01, 2017, 10:51 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Subscribed...and jumping up and down!! This is a plane I have wanted to do for years!!

I lived in Burkburnett, Texas under the landing pattern for Sheppard AFB during the 1960's when Sheppard was a SAC base, and was shook out of my bed many a night. Seeing these behemoths flying over all the time was quite the thrill.

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My hangar...