This thread is privately moderated by Mad_angler1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 30, 2017, 09:25 AM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade
Thread OP
FAQ

The DJI Goggles & Goggles Race Edition Information & FAQ Unofficial Blog

The DJI Goggles Q &A - Firmware Update Information - Troubleshooting- Unofficial Blog

DJI have released an updated version of the Goggles Called the Race Edition
See new post containing info on this.

Welcome to my unofficial DJI Goggles post In here is information on firmware updating, Tips and just some information on using the Goggles.

Released in May 2017 the DJI goggles have two 1080P high-resolution screens with an 85 degree FOV, they support Head tracking, built in touch pad for aircraft settings control and have multiple input methods such as Ocusync, USB and HDMI.

Updated 26/08/2017

Latest DJI Goggles Firmware was released Release.

Firmware :v01.04.0100

New Features Added

Added Head Tracking for Spark (with firmware v01.00.0600 or later), the Inspire 2 (with firmware v01.01.0200 or later) and the Phantom 4 (with aircraft firmware v2.0.0.16 or later and remote controller firmware 1.9.3).
 Added remote controller signal strength icon.
 Optimized audio quality.

DJI Goggles Unboxing and Review

The DJI Goggles First Thoughts and Review (18 min 53 sec)

DJI Goggles Menu Walk Through

The DJI Goggles Menu Walk Though and Info Review (17 min 5 sec)

What drones can I use the goggles with ?

The DJI Goggles have 3 input methods, depending on what craft you have there are the below options

Wireless OCUSYNC - Mavic Pro Only

The DJI Goggles have built in Ocusync receiver and connect to the Mavic wirelessly completely separate from the RC, you can connect unto 4 devices at the same time.

Connection combinations wirelessly are :
1: One DJI Goggles + one Mavic Pro Remote Controller
2. Two DJI Goggles + two Mavic Pro remote controllers
3. One DJI Goggles + two Mavic Pro remote controllers

USB

The DJI Goggles can be connected to the DJI Spark, Phantom 4, Phantom 4 Pro, Phantom 4 Advanced, and Inspire 2*** via Micro USB.

When Using USB connection head tracking is available on all models listed above as is FOCUS controls on the Phantom 4 Advance, Pro and Inspire 2***.

*** There is current a little confusion if the Inspire 2 does support head tracking over USB, the manual states it both does and does not, My belief is it will at release or shortly after but I will amend this to confirm then we actually know.

HDMI

The Goggles can be connected older DJI aircraft such as the Phantom 3 or Inspire 1 via HDMI, You can also connect to Inspire 2 and Phantom 4 via HDMI however head tracking will not be available.

Any other device with a HDMI output can also be connected to the DJI goggles this way as well as lowing you to connect it to many 3rd party devices and drones.

Other Inputs

SD Card.

The Goggles also have a Micro USB input, this is designed to allow the operator to view footage recorded on their DJI drone to be viewed directly on the goggles, DJI currently state the goggles will only play back this footage.

AUDIO

Plug headphones into the headphone jack or use the onboard speakers to listen to audio on videos being played through the HDMI cable.

Viewing Modes

HD vs Smooth Mode

In HD Mode the resolution of video transmission starts at 1080p/30fps for when. flying at close range and then lowering to 720p/30fps when you fly farther or when affected by interference.

In Smooth Mode the resolution will remain at 720p/60fps for a more smooth and stable signal.

In HD mode the user could notice the resolution change as the link swaps between the two resolutions.

Control Modes

Standard Mode

This Mode is suitable for both single and dual operator aircraft control, the pilot using the remote controller can focus on flight while the Goggles operator can view the environment in real-time FPV, By moving their heads the Goggles wearer can control aircraft orientation or gimbal movement.

Coach Mode

This mode is suitable for dual operator aircraft control, the pilot using the remote controller can focus on flight while the Goggles operator with a slave remote controller can view the environment in real-time FPV, the Goggles wearer can control aircraft orientation or gimbal movement and they can also control the aircraft with the secondary slave remote controller, this second rc is inferior to the priority control of the main remote controller.

Note that only the DJI GO 4 app connected with the primary remote controller and the Goggles can display the live view.

Multiuser Mode

Multiuser Mode is suitable for dual (or more) aircraft operator control, the Goggles operators with a slave remote controller can view the environment in real-time FPV.

Note that only the Goggles will display live view and that the primary Goggles only support head tracking.

Flight Modes

The Goggles support DJI Intelligent Flight Modes such as TapFly, ActiveTrack, Terrain Follow, Tripod, Fixed Wing and more.

Use the touch panel to enter “Intelligent Flight Mode” and select the corresponding button to enable the desired mode.

Compatible Modes and Models are as follows

***Note the above currently shows the Inspire 2 does not support head tracking, this is currently country to another part of the manual, once this has been confirmed I will update accordingly.

Firmware Updating

The DJI Goggles are update vis the Assistant 2 App for PC and Mac.

To use the DJI Assistant 2 to upgrade the Goggles.
1. Power on the Goggles and connect them to a computer with a Micro USB cable. 2. Launch DJI Assistant 2 and login with a registered DJI account.
3. Select “Goggles” and click “Firmware Upgrade” on the left-hand side.
4. Select the firmware version required.
5. DJI Assistant 2 will download and upgrade the firmware automatically.
6. Restart the Goggles after the firmware upgrade is complete.

FAQ

Can the DJI Goggles be used with traditional FPV systems ?

The goggles use DJI Ocusync 2.4ghz digital wireless system, the only way to connect the goggles to 3rd party systems is via HDMI.

Why cant I connect to the Phantom 4 or Inspire 2 wirelessly ?

The Goggles use Ocusync, while on 2.4hhz this is a different system to Lightbridge and is not compatible.

What 3rd party devices can i connect to the DJI Goggles ?

Any device that supports HDMI at 720p and 1080P.

The DJI Goggles, Mavic Pro and accessories are available from DJI
If you would like to support me you can choose to order from DJI via the below links

http://click.dji.com/AHeG59U9l3KPtDFGlDNg?pm=custom

Note: As with all my own blog post all links are affiliate links and i will receive a small commission on any purchase bought through them , if you wish to support me then thank you however it is not expected and please ignore this
Last edited by Mad_angler1; Dec 02, 2017 at 08:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 30, 2017, 10:01 AM
Thread OP

DJI Goggles Race Edition

DJI have release a new updated version of the Goggles called the Racing Edition

This new version of the goggles carries quite a large number of upgrades over the standard model, along side the Ocusync receiver and HDMI or USB input DJI have added a 12 channel analog receiver with DVR to support FPV analog transmitters, the goggles have an improved redesigned visor and headband with new red leather covering over the foam, along side these updates DJI have also expanded the goggles playback support to include MP4, MOV, MKV.

DJI Camera Module & Ocusync Air Unit

Along side the updates goggles DJI have release an optional brand new 1.2MP Digital FPV Camera with global shutter and 148 degree FOV, this connects to a all new standalone Ocusync air unit to allow users to add DJIs digital Ocusync system to stream HD low latency video up to 7km in range on any craft.

This digital standalone Ocusync air unit is also fitted with its own DVR for recording the digital FPV feed, when using this system you can also connect your RC directly to the goggles and control you flight controller via SBUS or PPM via the air units outputs.

Overall this is a massive upgrade to the DJI Goggles making them compatible with existing FPV systems as well as for the first time bringing Ocusync digital low latency FPV feed to any system you want with the camera and transmitter.

Main Differences between the 2 models.

In addition to the 2.4GHz digital transmission band, the new DJI Goggles RE also supports the 5.8GHz band, which can avoid the usual interference on the more crowded 2.4GHz.

DJI Goggles RE has redesigned the internal linear polarized omnidirectional antennas and added new external Pagoda antenna, a 5.8GHz single-frequency omnidirectional left hand circularly polarized (LHCP) antenna.

DJI Goggles RE has restructured the radio communication strategy and video decoding algorithm to lower transmission latency to 50 ms* (with wireless transmission latency of less than 10 ms), ensuring smooth and reliable video transmission and avoiding video lag and disconnection from the digital video transmission system when operating in a normal environment.

DJI Goggles RE supports analog transmission at any integer frequency between 5.650~5.925 GHz and analog video storage on a Micro SD card.

DJI Goggles RE can store digital video on a Micro SD card.

DJI Goggles RE supports local video playback and Sphere pano viewing, allowing users to turn their head to get a 360° view of the Sphere pano.

The facial pad has been redesigned and the headband has used new replaceable leather materials to make it even more comfortable to wear.

DJI have priced the new Goggles Racing Edition at $549

They also offer a DJI Goggles Racing Combo deal that includes all the extra antennas, Camres and Air unit for $859

For more info on the DJI Goggles RE or to order from DJI see below
http://click.dji.com/AMjx08RDK2VQyo0...m=link&as=0020

More Info

OcuSync Video Transmission Module

DJI Goggles deliver FPV video with ultimate speed, stability, and clarity. The OcuSync Video Transmission Module offers 2.4 and 5.8 GHz dual-band digital video transmission with latency as low as 50 ms and a maximum control range of up to 7 km.1 Equipped with an array of powerful features, such as 1280×960 HD transmission,3 and automatic Frequency-Hopping Spread Spectrum (FHSS) transmission, this module is compatible with a variety of multi-rotor and fixed-wing aircraft. Packed with advanced tech and features, as well as external modules to suit a variety of setups, DJI Goggles RE achieve immersive drone racing that is unparalleled.

12 Selectable Digital Video Channels

Access to low-interference transmission channels is the key to success for competitive FPV racing, especially when multiple drones are flying simultaneously. Manually choose from up to 12 transmission channels to effectively avoid interference. 4

Camera Module

The DJI OcuSync Camera compatible with DJI Goggles RE uses a 1/3” image sensor, providing much higher-resolution
video transmission than most analog FPV goggles on the market. It also uses a global shutter, significantly reducing rolling shutter effect caused by high-frequency vibration. Also, its 148° FOV with a low-distortion lens delivers a wide, yet natural-looking camera view. With such an advanced camera, users can control flight accurately and even record a whole flight for analysis or sharing.

Compatibility

Fully compatible with the usual 5.8GHz FPV Bands ( A/B/E/F/C &Raceband) , up to 40 channels in total. It also receives up to of 275 integer frequencies between 5650~5925 MHz, in which Band C (Raceband) includes 8 channels and the channel interval is 27 MHz.

As well as this is still supports all the latest DJI Models such as the DJI Spark, Mavic Series, Inspire 2 and Phantom 4 or any HDMI device.

New 5Ghz Ocusync Support

In addition to the 2.4GHz digital transmission band, the new DJI Goggles RE also supports the 5.8GHz band, which can avoid the usual interference on the more crowded 2.4GHz.

FAQ

The original DJI Goggles will bind with the new Ocusync received but you would have live feed only, there is no way to connect a controller into the goggles for control with the standard ones.

The Ocusync air end supports the Multiwii protocol for telemetry so it will give some limited OSD when connected to a compatible Flight Controller , it will show battery voltage, wireless signal and altitude.

The Mavic RC will bind to the air end Ocusync but as of now you can not use it as a controller,

DJI Support Video on Linking to 3rd Party RC

DJI Goggles RE | Connecting a Third party Remote Controller and Flight Controller (1 min 52 sec)

For more info on the DJI Goggles RE or to order from DJI see below
http://click.dji.com/AMjx08RDK2VQyo0...m=link&as=0020

Please note all links may be affiliate links.
Last edited by Mad_angler1; Dec 02, 2017 at 09:12 AM.
May 22, 2017, 08:49 PM

Litchi on iPad mini with DJI goggles ?

Since the iPad is just working through the remote controller via USB connection, would it be possible to start Litchi mission via the iPad/remote control as normal but view the mission via the OcuSync connected goggles? It would make sense that it could happen because they allow a remote with tablet to be connected and still use the goggles.

If this is sounding desperate and a stretch, it's because I am desperate. I'm just hopeful it will work. I've sold my P3A and accessories at a heavily discounted price to justify the goggles for my Mavic but would hate to be needlessly limited DJI app only.
Jun 10, 2017, 02:44 AM
Thread OP
updated
Jun 20, 2017, 10:20 AM
I have a P4P+ (with the attached 5.5" screen).
It seems the USB port of the TX to DJI Googles connection
will not work.
My question is... If I use the HDMI cable to connect to the
DJI Goggles will I be able to control all the options on my
TX Screen with the DJI Goggles' touch pad or will I only
see the Camera's image ??
Any help would be greatly appreciated before making my
Googles buy decision.

Jerry
Dec 02, 2017, 08:56 AM
Thread OP
Updated for Race Edition
Dec 09, 2017, 07:17 AM
Anyone know how to configure an Omnibus F4 UART as an OSD UART as per the DJI video?

Thanks for any info.

Rob.
Dec 09, 2017, 07:31 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robrow
Anyone know how to configure an Omnibus F4 UART as an OSD UART as per the DJI video?

Thanks for any info.

Rob.

I’m going to be hopefully testing this specifically my self very soon but basically you should just need to just set the relevant Uart channel to MSP.
Jan 01, 2018, 01:57 PM

Recording to the Goggles RE sd card

When connected to the Mavic it can not record to the Goggles sd card.
When connected to a racing drone over 5,8Ghz - can it then record to the Goggles sd card.
Jan 01, 2018, 01:58 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilsblix
When connected to the Mavic it can not record to the Goggles sd card.

When connected to a racing drone over 5,8Ghz - can it then record to the Goggles sd card.

This is correct yes currently, don’t know if that will ever change.
Jan 01, 2018, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_angler1
Hmm did not understand your answer and I see my question was not accurate - lets repeat

Can you record the FPV stream from a 5,5 Ghz video feed from a racing drone onto the Goggles SD card ?
Jan 01, 2018, 02:11 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilsblix
Hmm did not understand your answer and I see my question was not accurate - lets repeat

Can you record the FPV stream from a 5,5 Ghz video feed from a racing drone onto the Goggles SD card ?

You can

Record Analog to Google’s
Record Ocusync Racing Drone Both frequency to both the internal SD card on the Air Unit and the Google’s Both independently and at the same time.

You can not record Mavic Pro Ocusync Feed.
Jan 01, 2018, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_angler1
edited - I was to quick

Thank you so much - this was exactly what I wanted to hear.

Been flying a bit with them the last two days ( just the Mavic so far) - and they are amazing.

My racer is for the moment mostly zipties and epoxy so I have not been able to check this myself - now I know.
I get a new Bumper 2 in a couple of days
Last edited by Nilsblix; Jan 01, 2018 at 02:25 PM.
Jan 04, 2018, 10:37 AM
Thread OP

The DJI Goggles & Goggles Race Edition Information & FAQ Unofficial Blog

@ Desert Eagle I will not tolerate you spamming my Youtube account, the information I have provided on there is nothing but factual.

On the latency video its how it is, no adapted or changed at all, the actual footage was added to prove that fact.

If you do not like the videos then please do not look at them, I have not hidden my self or them from anyone but I’m not going to tolerate this behaviour on my channel, I welcome all feed back both good and bad but I will not let you troll on there so I have banned your comments.

I have close to 4000 subscribers and 750,000 views with very little bad feedback, that tells me what I need to know I If I get it wrong then I apologise but what I post is always factual.

Really sad you have resorted to this behaviour around this product that you have both never used or have any real hands on experience with.

Last edited by Mad_angler1; Jan 04, 2018 at 07:47 PM.
Jan 18, 2018, 03:34 PM
Out with my Goggles and Mavic today - had forgot my iPhone cable and should fly with just the Goggles. Was limited to 50 m distance - is there a way to prevent this ? ( beside remember the cable ) ?

Quick Reply