Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 29, 2017, 07:16 PM
GOT WINGS
Mini-Review

AKK 901 2.4G 4CH 6 Axis Mini Quadcopter One Key Return Compatible with AKK A1 Micro C

This quadcopter was sent to me courtesy of AKK Technology. AKK ordered this quad on April 18, 2017 and it arrived on April 24, 2017. 6 days is very good transit time. The box was packaged in a larger box along with two other smaller boxes, all arrived without damage. The box measures 87 x 70 x 58 millimeters. The box indicates that the quad has altitude hold and wifi camera, but it does not. Pictures:
Name: zakk901bx.jpg
Views: 16
Size: 67.4 KB
Description: Name: zakk901bx2.jpg
Views: 15
Size: 79.8 KB
Description: Name: zakk901bxcnt.jpg
Views: 17
Size: 83.9 KB
Description: Name: zakk901bxcnt2.jpg
Views: 12
Size: 70.2 KB
Description:

I was a little disappointed thaqt the quad does not have a camera, but I don't really like wifi cameras anyway. Altitude hold might have been interesting, but I can live without it. This quad is micro sized at 77.0mm MTM diagonally and is an X shaped configuration. Folded to store in the transmitter it is 5cm by 5cm. It is black with some blue and white highlights, and comes with black props in the back and blue props on the front. There are prop guards that will snap into place after you remove the props. It has an English manual, and comes with 8 extra props, a screwdriver, a prop removal tool, and a USB charge cord. It does not have a removeable battery. The lights are bright and pointed down, red in front, blue in back, with a headlight up front middle that lights up the front props well. It has 6 x 15 mm motors. There are 4 screws at the pivot points of the folding arms, I assume these also help hold the body together. It has rubber feet. The props are the same shape as the UDI U939, but longer, I found those props to be fairly good propellers. There is an on/off switch on the right side under the charge cord plug. It comes in blue, green, orange, and yellow. It seems to be put together well.
Name: zakk901.jpg
Views: 17
Size: 108.4 KB
Description: Name: zakk891hdlt.jpg
Size: 71.8 KB
Description: Name: zakk901plug.jpg
Views: 15
Size: 72.5 KB
Description: Name: zakk901bttm.jpg
Views: 10
Size: 100.0 KB
Description:

AKK's Description

AKK 901 2.4G 4CH 6 Axis Mini Quadcopter One Key Return

2.4Ghz aircraft have a long-distance control and operate
CF mode (headless mode),one key return and 360 rolling action
It can fly in small space or outdoor,on the outside
It has 6-axis gyro which can have more stable flying and be easy to control
Flies 12-15 minutes on a fully charged pack and recharges from any handy USB port

Product description
Features:
Use the remote controller to charge the mini drone via the cable on the remote controller, you should turn on remote controller while charging.
Connect the mini quadcopter with your PC or powerbank by USB cable (Included in package).
Mini Portable Size: Integrated the drone into remote controller.
2.4Ghz aircraft have a long-distance control and operate by several persons in same time
It can fly in small space or outdoor,on the outside,it can meet your desire for flying if the wind is not more than level 4.
CF mode (headless mode),one key return and 360 rolling action

Specifications:
Item name: 901 Mini RC Quadcopter
Frequency: 2.4G
Gyro: 6 axis
Lipo-battery: 3.7V 220mAh (Included)
Remote battery: 4 x 1.5V AAA dry battery (Not included)
Charging time: 40-60mins
Flying time: 12-15mins
Control distance: about 50m
Quadcopter Size: 5x5x3cm
Package Size: 18.5x17.3x5.8cm

Package Included:
1x 2.4Ghz RC Quadcopter
1x Remote Controller (does not include 4X1.5v AAA batteries)
1x USB charging cable
8x Spare propeller blades
1x Screwdriver
1x Skidding
1x User Manual

Dimensions and Weights

Motor to Motor(MTM) Diagonally-----76mm.....................................MTM Side to Side-----54mm
MTM Front to Back----54mm............................................ . ..................Height/ground clearance------29/5mm
Props measure------42 mm................................................ ....................Motors---6 x 15 mm
Quadcopter weight-----------22.8 grams............................................. Prog guard weight-----1 gramx4
Range of quad/fpv=about 130 feet....................................... ... ............Battery bay = 27 x 20 x 7 mm

Transmitter

The transmitter is the larger than common micro transmitters because it has space in between the sticks to store the quad when it is folded. It is a little larger than the Fayee FY805 tx that also stores the hex in between the sticks. It has 3 rates controlled by the top left button. Yaw increases between rate 1 and rate 2 but I could not tell a difference when switching to rate 3. The button to the right of the top left button will switch it to very fast yaw rate so that it spins like a top. The buttons under the throttle stick are photo and video but do nothing on this cameraless quad. The button above the right stick trim elevator, the buttons under the right stick trim aileron. The on/off button lights up red when it is turned on. The elevator stick must be pushed in to initiate auto flips. It has short thumbpads. I replaced the thumbpads with sticks before the second flight. After turning on the quad and transmitter, you must push throttle stick up then down to complete bind. Pulling both sticks to the lower inside calibrates the gyro/accelerometer. It does not retain trim when turned off and back on. The transmitter uses 4 AAA batteries.
Name: zakk901tx.jpg
Views: 11
Size: 78.1 KB
Description: Name: zakk901tx2.jpg
Views: 11
Size: 50.6 KB
Description: Name: zakk901txcmp.jpg
Size: 79.7 KB
Description: Name: zakk901txstk.jpg
Size: 74.2 KB
Description:

First Flights

On the first flight I flew it indoors and timed the flight at 9 minutes, the LEDs started blinking about 1 minute before it landed due to low battery. It is a fairly quiet quad in flight. It has good power seems fast. The yaw rates make it fairly easy to control in small spaces, but I had to take it easy in 2nd and 3rd rate to keep from over turning. The battery discharged to about 3.6 volts at rest. I used my pro charger to recharge it at about 2C and it took about 40 minutes. It was stable but needed a few clicks of trim. Funnels were within about a 1 foot diameter in 3rd rate and flips also stay within 1 foot in height. A few clicks of trim made it very stable. Thumb pads are too short for me to maintain good control.
The second flight was after I put longer sticks on the transmitter. I flew it outside and inadvertently overturned it, causing it to fly farther away. At about 130 feet, it lost contact with the transmitter and fell out of the sky. Several tests put the range between 120 and 140 feet. It gets up to decent speed outside in 3rd rate. It does get pushed around by the wind and would probably not handle wind over 5mph well. I did not time this flight.
The third flight I flew it in a very dark room and it has very good LEDs for flying in the dark. The headlight lights up the front props and makes it easy to tell orientation from the front. A moderate collision with the wall will partially fold the arms, but otherwise the quad and props seem fairly tough, and you just have to straighten out the folded arm to fly again. I timed another flight to 8.25 minutes and stopped as soon as the LEDs started blinking. I tried headless mode and one key return with unremarkable results, but I have almost never used those functions with any quad.

Battery and Charge cord

The battery is rated at 220mah, is mounted inside, not removeable, and has a micro JST connector for charging on the side of the quad. The battery came with a storage charge of 3.94 volts, a bit too high. When the quad landed from lack of power, the battery measured at rest about 3.55 volts. The charge cord light comes on when charging the battery and goes out when the battery is full. It took about 60 minutes to charge the battery and the resting voltage was 4.17 after charging. Charging the battery using the charge cord inside the transmitter requires turning on the transmitter and took about an hour. The transmitter on/off switch turns blue when you plug the charge cord in and turns red when the battery is fully charged. I charged the battery with my pro charger set at 0.5 amps from 3.68 volts. It took 33 minutes and put 229mah back into the battery. That would indicate that the battery is more than 220mah.

Comparison

The AKK 901 is larger than the Fayee FY805 and smaller than the XK X100. It appears to be a rebranded FQ777 FQ11.
Name: zakk901qdcmp.jpg
Views: 13
Size: 88.2 KB
Description:

Conclusion
The AKK 901 is a micro quad that seems to be well built. It has decent power and is very stable. Flight times are fairly long. It has LEDs that help a lot for night flying. It should be a good quad for a beginner. I was fairly impressed with the stability, flight times, and controllability. I would rate it about a 8 out of 10 on my rating scale, where 1 is bad, and 10 is excellent.

Pros
Nicely built.
On/off switch.
Fair sized tx that can store the quad.
Good yaw rates.
Decent power.
Long flight times.
Stable/easy to control.
Strong battery.
Good props.
Removeable prop guards.

Cons

Short range.
Fixed battery.
Short thumb pads.

Thanks to AKK Technology for providing this quad for review.
You can find it here for $22.99 USD shipped: https://www.amazon.com/s?marketplace...&redirect=true . AKK also has an Aliexpress store here: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/295...108.0.0.haJNAI
Last edited by siriusflier; Apr 29, 2017 at 07:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 29, 2017, 07:17 PM
GOT WINGS
I finally got a chance to make a short video of the 901 flying, it actually flies very well with no camera on it. I also put an AKK AIO camera on it and it did ok with that even though the camera added over 5 grams of weight. That FPV camera video will have to wait for later. Here is flight video:
FHD0002 (0 min 56 sec)

Here is a video with the all in one FPV camera on this quad:
003 (1 min 30 sec)
Last edited by siriusflier; May 24, 2017 at 11:49 AM.
Apr 29, 2017, 07:18 PM
GOT WINGS
Reserved for teardown and mods.

Quick Reply