The HPI Venture Has Finally Arrived - RC Groups

The HPI Venture Has Finally Arrived

RC drivers have been waiting for the Venture to arrive since it's announcement back in December 2015; the wait is almost over.

Splash

A Ready-to-Run Scale Toyota Crawler from HPI

We brought you news of the new HPI Venture back in December of 2015, and now it's up for pre-order and set to arrive in late May 2017. The Venture is a Toyota FJ that's available in grey or beige, and features a scale c-channel chassis and linked solid-axle suspension with fluid-filled dampers. A 35-turn crawler motor sits up front along with a HPI waterproof SC-3sWP2 Crawler Edition ESC. The Venture has BTA (behind the axle) linkages for improved approach and departure angles, and the body is trimmed and painted with plenty of scale plastic details.

The price for the Venture is set at $369.99, and is scheduled for delivery in late May.

CLICK HERE for more info on the HPI Venture FJ

HPI @ NBG 2017: It's the Venture! (4 min 8 sec)

Features:

• Factory-assembled and painted, with full-time 4WD.
  • Functional roof rack with side mirrors.
  • TF-40 2.4GHz radio system with waterproof receiver and water-resistant SS-20WR steering servo.
  • Waterproof SC-3sWP2 Crawler Edition ESC.
  • Aluminum coil-over oil shocks with adjustable, threaded bodies.
  • Shock towers with multiple mounting options.
  • 3-link front and triangulated 3-link rear suspension.
  • BTA (Behind The Axle) steering linkage for improved approach/departure angles.
  • Panhard bar for scale looks and optimized geometry with zero bump steer.
  • Zero Ackermann high-steer knuckle design for improved obstacle clearance and tighter turning radius.
  • Adjustable side sliders help overcome tough obstacles.
  • Durable all-metal gear drivetrain.
  • Front-mount motor and transmission position for ultimate scale realism.
  • Locked differentials for superb off-road climbing traction.
  • Rear bumper with swing-away spare tire mount and D-ring shackles.
  • 12 mm hex hubs, compatible with all crawler wheels.
  • Full set of ball bearings.
  • Includes NiMH battery, charger and 4 AA batteries.
  • Chassis-mounted servo steering set-up.

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Apr 28, 2017 at 03:30 PM..
Apr 28, 2017, 03:32 PM
DFS#000178
Only 9 years after the SCX10.

I honestly want a CC-01 follow-up more than I want an SCX10 clone.

We've got IFS/Solid rear trophy trucks and rock racers now but still not really anything to build a scaler on with that suspension geometry other than a CC-01.

Also, it's almost $400 and comes with a brushed can motor...
Apr 28, 2017, 04:27 PM
No remote diff lockers, no multi speed tranny, I'll wait for the new Traxxas and keep running my old SCX10's. Nice body though.
Apr 28, 2017, 05:04 PM
So, spare parts by 2020???
Apr 28, 2017, 06:00 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
Woohoo! Finally!

Pre-ordered.
Apr 28, 2017, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman350
So, spare parts by 2020???
Oh crud you took my words.

I'm just a casual admirer of them and was really excited about the rally but they could not squeeze it out for the life of them.

I suppose you can use other parts like shocks wheels et al hopefully.
Apr 29, 2017, 09:13 AM
I feel a bit bad for HPI. This thing would have sold like hotcakes a few years ago when it was announced but now coming out at exactly the same time as the new Traxxas rig I don't think it'll stand a chance. Granted it is quite a bit cheaper but I still think the Traxxas will steal it's thunder (and sales) for sure.
Apr 29, 2017, 09:35 AM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
Spares have not been a problem for my Jumpshot. They got all three of those released with plenty of spares still available. I don't see why they would be a problem for this. Just get 'em fast because demand for the first run will be high. They know how important spares are and have already stated their plans to make them available as soon as they can. I wasn't expecting the Venture to be released until later this year.

Looks like a shipment of parts is expected at the same time. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...CH=HPI+Venture

If HPI does come through with all of these late May / June deliveries, my Tower bill is going to be nuts.

Plenty of folks still prefer HPI and won't touch a Traxxas with a 10 foot pole. It'll do fine. Maybe not as good as it would have a couple years ago but it should still do well.
Last edited by SD One.; Apr 29, 2017 at 09:41 AM.
Apr 29, 2017, 02:10 PM
DFS#000178
The Traxxas opens up a new niche since it's 1/8th scale and not 1/10th scale. The fact that it has portal axles and on-the-fly hi/lo gears means it's not even really comparable to the HPI Venture.

The HPI Venture appears to essentially be an SCX10 that made it to the game almost a decade late.
Apr 30, 2017, 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
Only 9 years after the SCX10.

I honestly want a CC-01 follow-up more than I want an SCX10 clone.

We've got IFS/Solid rear trophy trucks and rock racers now but still not really anything to build a scaler on with that suspension geometry other than a CC-01.

Also, it's almost $400 and comes with a brushed can motor...
Agree! Can you really call it a scale crawler if the real FJ Cruiser is IFS and not solid axle?

The CC01 can be made into a decent performer with some relatively easy mods for a little more steering, slightly more front suspension travel, and much better rear articulation/travel from customizing the rear links.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Cruiser-Build

But yes, it's a very old design, and an updated version or something new from a different manufacturer would be a fun thing to add to the mix of scale crawlers invading the shelves.
Apr 30, 2017, 12:13 PM
I think it's a nice alternative to Axial's overpriced offerings.
Apr 30, 2017, 01:40 PM
DFS#000178
How's it a nice alternative when it's $70.00 more expensive than an SCX10 RTR which is "overpriced"?

I always thought Axial stuff was expensive, but I don't believe that the good alternative is something that's basically the same and almost 25% more expensive...
Apr 30, 2017, 07:30 PM
I've wanted a scale crawler for a long time. but for something to screw around in the yard I'm not paying 300-400$. see me at $150-200 and we'll talk.
May 01, 2017, 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappomatt
I've wanted a scale crawler for a long time. but for something to screw around in the yard I'm not paying 300-400$. see me at $150-200 and we'll talk.
See my CC01 above. $160 shipped, but I did have to do some work and add a few parts to make it suitable for real crawling use.
May 01, 2017, 01:15 AM
I hope it can steer at 40 deg or better.
I agree, it sure is very nice to have another, nice, manufactured, scale crawler choice. I've many times tossed around the idea of a contemporary straight axle FJ.

Pretty cool to have another name brand offering to the scale rig scene...It will add to the choices, and expand the scale build up possibilities.