Apr 28, 2017, 03:22 AM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Thread OP
Discussion

Why does everyone have to have a Mustang?

Seems everyone has to own a Mustang or a Cub in their RC career. With all the choices if I see one more mustang or cub at the flying field I'm going to throw up. "Hey, look at my new plane, it's a Piper Cub!".... Oh gee that's great let me see it, I've never seen one before.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 28, 2017, 05:11 AM
Cajun-American
HEY!! HEY!!! HEY!!!!
I luv me some Piper Cub.

...but I know what you mean.

My favorite thing to do is to walk up to a pack of P-51 owners and say the Mustang wasn't really the best fighter of WWII.
And watch the mushroom cloud rise.
Apr 28, 2017, 06:28 AM
They don't. I haven't. I don't intend to. I don't even have a Spitfire and they're more common than Mustangs over here (and were better fighters ).

Steve
Apr 28, 2017, 06:35 AM
WJH
WJH
A Humbled Pilot
I'm going to have a FW190 complete with swastikas on the tail. I think German warbirds need more exposure.
I also have a 1/5th scale P47 in the works because, well, I already own the kit.
Apr 28, 2017, 06:41 AM
A club buddy owns an old Parkzone P-51 belly lander. Flies great and makes the most intriguing wailing type sound on a powered dive. I've never been into warbirds but if I were to buy one that would be it just for that sound.
Apr 28, 2017, 06:44 AM
You can't take the sky from me
Yes everyone needs to ask what an appropriate model would be to get before they buy. To show up with the same old thing is just uncouth and low born. People get what they like for their own reasons. For someone else to be upset or irritated by their decision is absurd. This is supposed to be a fun hobby where you get to live out just a little bit of your dreams. Why would anyone want to crush that by shaming them for their personal likes?
Apr 28, 2017, 06:46 AM
Taranis Tyro...
Why does everyone seem to have one? Look at what is marketed by the big boys (HH, FMS, Motion, Dyam etc)... they do not develop products that don't sell, and their continued availability makes them continually popular.
Apr 28, 2017, 07:07 AM
Cubs that are built to fly like Cubs (i.e., low-power, flying on the wing and not the prop) can be a real challenge to fly. Cubs that fly like high-winged Pattern models, on the other hand....blech!

As to P-51's, they are an easier plane to make in semi-scale (straighten this line, remove that bulge) and they are easy to recognize.

For the average modeler, I don't question them having one or two J-3's or P-51's during their modeling 'careers'. I, for example, have had one P-51 (HOB's .21 kit), although I built, flew, and sold the plane over 20 years ago. On the other hand, when a modeler keeps building/buying and flying the same planes over and over again, I do wonder about them!

CD
Apr 28, 2017, 07:44 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
The P-51 and Cub are extremely iconic, easy to kit/ARF and fly well.

Ironically both are known to be challenging to fly in full scale (the P-51D in particular has rather vicious stall characteristics when fully fueled due to an overly aft CG, and the Cub is known for its tip stalling)

Personally, I don't see having a P-51 in my stable (although I could do with a Mustang mk.1 or Mk.1a) but I do like me some Cubs. That said, I can think of several aircraft I'd rather have in the same class long before either (an Aviat Husky, Maule M7, Tempest II, Seafire XV)
Apr 28, 2017, 07:46 AM
Suspended Account
Cubs are just too cool. If I were to ever get a real pilots license, I would want to fly a Cub. They are accessible.
Apr 28, 2017, 08:33 AM
Gravity sucks.
Why not? Fly what you want and enjoy. P51s are just flying works of art, a really pretty bird.
Why doesnt everyone fly a Gannet? Theyre ugly . Lol
Apr 28, 2017, 09:42 AM
I've always loved Mustangs and Cubs.

Because Mustangs and Cubs are the most iconic planes of their genre.

Because some grumpy old men like me don't give a ratsas that other grumpy old men are minding my business even if this is a free country and they should be minding they own. I don't care what other nosy GOMs fly but I hope they throw up on their own planes.

Boy, that felt good to say😀😀😀

I've got a couple of Mustangs and 7 x J3s, and will probably add another P51 soon as hangar space is available.
Last edited by easyrider604; Apr 28, 2017 at 10:09 AM.
Apr 28, 2017, 10:14 AM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrittinger
Why not? Fly what you want and enjoy. P51s are just flying works of art, a really pretty bird.
Why doesnt everyone fly a Gannet? Theyre ugly . Lol
Come on, Mark. You've got a Mustang. You just built the wings wrong,

- Roger
Apr 28, 2017, 10:17 AM
The Corsair is my favorite Warbird.
Never had a Mustang, but that may change someday.
Apr 28, 2017, 10:22 AM
Gravity sucks.
Lol, well I have the FSW 51, Precious Metal, and right now Im working on Jimmy Stewarts " Mr Alex"

Quick Reply