Apr 28, 2017, 02:40 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Why is there not a traditional discus launch technique in DLG ?

Getting into DLG , have a background in other model flying events . I have a friend who was a college level discus thrower and so far we haven't seen any videos of anyone throwing a DLG in a traditional discus throwing manner . Is it not possible , inferior to the styles we have seen such as Jun ? If it is possible , or is done , would the results/are the results superior ? If it is done can anyone direct us to videos or info ? It just seems on the surface like the better way to throw .
At this point we don't understand why the left foot is turned to a 90 degree angle . In a normal discus throw you would be driving forward to the center of the ring ( corresponding to the point where the left foot is suggested to be turned 90 degrees ) (If what we have read is correct ) . This turning seems like it would slow momentum , slow the rotation , starts you in an unnecessary direction , add unnecessary movement etc .
Can anyone direct us to how the DLG technique developed or evolved ? Are eyes are bloodshoot , and brains ready to explode from searching in vain .
Thanks so much in advance !
to remove ads between posts
Apr 28, 2017, 02:57 AM
The simple answer is because DLGs are not discuses. Different weight, different size, different way of holding them (rotation of shoulder/wrist). Different objects requiring a different technique. But if you can show the world a more successful technique, they will follow.
Apr 28, 2017, 02:59 AM
french team pilote
hello ,
I think it s not comparable , the DLG are 200 g to 400 g for the most light to heavier today (approx ) and the size and momentum are not the same too .

I agree completly about the foot driving but for launch in one turn it will make it difficult . by the weight of a dlg you need more speed than power ( I think ) and in discus launching for get the speed ( because the disc is heavy ) you need some turns for accelerate it before put the arm power , correct me if I am wrong .

even if I think a really discus thrower will blast the 100 m at dlg launch

If one of your friend start dlg keep us informed , it could be really interesting to get a feedback

Pierre
Apr 28, 2017, 07:43 AM
Because in discus you are limited to the area you have to stay inside of. With HLG's you can take a running start if you want.
Apr 28, 2017, 09:06 AM
The objective is the highest vertical throw, not the longest throw so that is one difference. But who knows when someone might come up with a better technique. Sounds like you want to prove them wrong.
Apr 28, 2017, 11:20 AM
Come out swinging
Quote:
Originally Posted by Updraft67
Because in discus you are limited to the area you have to stay inside of. With HLG's you can take a running start if you want.

+1

Sean
Apr 28, 2017, 11:30 AM
plays with toy planes
And while we've got nearly nothing in our throwing hand, we've got 1.5 pounds or more in our non-throwing hand. That's very different.
Apr 28, 2017, 11:36 AM
Dillon Graves has recently been studying Discus foot work. His launches have recently ascended to the top tier of pilots I have seen. Walk out on a field with Him, Gavin, Oleg, and Toby and you won't know who to be more worried about.
Apr 28, 2017, 01:02 PM
Thread OP
Thanks everyone for the input . I've considered most of the obvious .
1. In standard discus , limited to the circle . I am not sure how much a"running start " helps . Jun mentions that it may be a hindrance ( my words ) , and I don't think he is much of an advocate for it , from what I've read and viewed from his blog and videos . Something like whats the point of running in a straight line , then stopping to start a rotation . I am wondering if this is something of a carry over from the javelin launch days .
2 . Weight , shape , vertical throw , horizontal throw , speed is the basic essential ingredient to both disciplines . In standard discus speed is as important as power . Techniques are taught to increase the speed during rotation . So in DLG , you have a lighter object , it just goes faster ?
Not trying to be argumentive , controversial , just trying to learn . I'd like to find out about the running prior to the rotation , I see a lot of pilots don't or barely use it , some do . I've read it may be used to create lift so no tail drag . Trying to figure this one out , as well as the left foot going 90 degrees in DLG .
Any videos anywhere of Dillon Graves .
Thanks again !!
Apr 28, 2017, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiprec
Any videos anywhere of Dillon Graves .
The ones I found on a quick search are older. Mickey probably has a more relevant one. Mickey?
Apr 28, 2017, 01:39 PM
Time for me to Fly...
When throwing a discus in a meet you throw it 3 times. In a DLG contest, you are likely to throw it 30 times or more. You can't put all your effort into 30 throws without getting really tired. Maybe that doesn't apply to the technique but it's at least worth considering when comparing the two.
Latest blog entry: The latest and greatest
Apr 28, 2017, 04:07 PM
I know the Inside out.....
I studied the discuss athletics technique and added 5-7 meters to my throws. I now get around 63 meters from my NXT and over 55 from a Vortex 2.5 - which I find pretty decent. (Studied, as in, go online, read about it and watch some videos)

The footwork with throwing a dlg may be different from a discus. But to what position you must wind up your body and then unleashing the power, is very similar.

The attached picture is taken from a presentation of athletics discus throwing. I wind up my body to exactly that position.
Apr 28, 2017, 08:06 PM
Thread OP
Agree here . The end result of the two different techniques is arriving at the "power position " . I've seen it in every successful DLG video .
Apr 28, 2017, 08:17 PM
I'm not as bad as they say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinhlg
The ones I found on a quick search are older. Mickey probably has a more relevant one. Mickey?
Ill take some.
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
Apr 28, 2017, 09:21 PM
FF lift master...sometimes
Chris,

See if he you can find any video of 2015 FF Nats HLG winner Jace Pivonka. Maybe e-mail Don Deloach and see if he has any; he taught Jace initally. Very fast spin, no running, very high launch. Closest similar technique I've seen for DLG is video of Oleg. Of course, the FF glider is much lighter, so the faster spin is easier, and Jace is a great athlete...

I'm looking forward to seeing the video of Dillon Graves, too.

--Bill

Quick Reply