Here is mine ...... Pitcairn - RC Groups
Apr 28, 2017, 01:10 AM
Discussion

Here is mine ...... Pitcairn

Hello
Almost finished
Got to choose brushless motor ,propeller, batteries : informations welcome .....
And can someone give me travels on ailerons , and elevator ?
I read somewhere ailerons are not very efficient so do I set them at maximum ?
I think rudder travel at maximum possible ...
Thanks
Andre
to remove ads between posts
Apr 28, 2017, 04:08 AM
Andre...That's one fine looking model you have there ....good luck with your test flight.
Happy Landings
Chris...
Apr 29, 2017, 09:59 PM
great looking model, set your control throws to the maximum limits, a spinning rotor is an unstable device.
May 02, 2017, 03:20 AM
Hi
I centered the motor on the firewall .... That is to say the motor is 1,3 cm lower than the plan says.
I try to understand the consequencies: I think the autogyro will have a more pitching atitude ....!
Am I right or ...?
Must I change the angle of rotor to compensate this ?
Will some down trim on elevator help ?
What size propeller do you use ? I think about using 15X6 ...
Information welcome before I maiden ....!
THANKS
Andre
May 02, 2017, 09:04 PM
Hi andre is this a kit or did you scratch build it. If you scratch built a good ballpark is 10 degrees of motor down thrust, 8 degrees of rotor tilt back, and a 15 degree hang angle measured from the fuselage. This is all just ballpark figures that I have came up with so take it with a grain of salt.
May 03, 2017, 04:09 PM
It's all in the Blades!
Andre,
Nice Pitcairn I believe all the info is on the plan, but if memory serves me correctly start out with around 5 degrees rearward tilt and about 18 degrees hang angle. Do hops in the normal way and trim between each, dont trim roll with the ailerons, if its needed add packing shims to the gearbox.
You will need full aileron deflection, as the speed drops off in the air they become less responsive so rudder has to be used which works really effectively.
It took me a while to get my head around the wing as it gives you a false impression that its going to tip stall at low speeds which it wont.

Just take it one step at a time in the trimming process and you will be rewarded with a great flying model that is a pussycat to fly

Rich
Jun 06, 2017, 04:08 AM
Nice Pitcairn.

I would suggest you consider using lots of exponential.
I'm using 80% on my 40 mvvs wild plane with a large speed range and 3 inch surfaces.
[maybe 10-60+ mph]

In no time at all you become used to the smooth small deflections and, when needed, you can get the needed deflections to save the model or low speed ops Might even use 70% DR at cruise and 100% DR at landing speed for extra deflection. Both with the exponential.

Fly this expo when you are going to sleep and visualize the movements and reactions. When you get to the field you will be prepared to not over control the Pitcairn.

You will be delighted when on a calm day you make a smooth beautiful flair to a stop.

My model will do 3-4 foot loops at cruise, rolls are fast and blurry!, and the landings are like a trainer, slow and smooth.

I think the AG Pitcairn with its speed range would benefit from my suggestion.

As good as the craft looks you probably will not need luck, just planning ahead!! ha.

Hmmmm! would AS3X stabilize this kind of model????
Jul 05, 2017, 10:08 AM
Hi Everybody,
My set up is : Hacker turnado motor with mezzon , 4S 6000mamp battery, 15X6 propeller , 15 hang angle ( 300gr added in the nose) rotor 5 up and 4 left . Overall weight with batteries some 4,6 kg .
Here is how went my maiden : The blades turning easy with 10km/h wind ; after a short distance , some 15 to 20 meters , it is lifting easy BUT as if I had not enough rotor speed , the gyro goes completly left and falls down .....
I tried again rolling a longer distance and I can see the right wheel lifting 10 cm from earth and gyro wants to bank left again
The rotor is speeding well and lift is there quite quickly ....!!!
I even tried to fly launching the rotor with my drill geting high rotor speed ....
I know after flying for 2 years burky, littlefly, etc ... this hapens tipically with too low rotor speed
So my question : Should I try to set_up the rotor without left tilt , go to 0 instead of 4 left ?

THANKS for help

Andre
Last edited by andre seb; Jul 05, 2017 at 11:55 AM.
Jul 18, 2017, 11:05 AM
Hi,

After puting 0 to rotor instead of 4 left , things are much better
Now the problem is flying attitude : the gyro is pitching up all the time which made landing very difficult .
So having ony 12 hang angle I decided to move the rotor 3 cm behind the plan position instead of adding more weight front ( I allready added 300gr)
Now I get 16 hang angle , much better I hope
Also I put the motor with 1 more down thrust
We will see how it goes
Advice welcome

Andre
Jul 19, 2017, 03:21 AM
Andre That 12 deg hang is a bit of a no -no.......The bare minimum is always 15 deg but 16-18 is also good.
Good luck and Happy Landings
Chris...
Jul 29, 2017, 02:27 PM
The 1st Sofaman
Andre.....beautiful build!!! Congrats!