Eachine Aurora - Flip of Death issue, can it be solved? Your Input is needed! - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
View Poll Results: Do you have Flip of Death with your Aurora 68/90/100, and what version RX do you have
No FoD - FrSky receiver 2 9.52%
No FoD - DSM receiver 6 28.57%
No FoD - FlySky receiver 2 9.52%
FoD problems - FrSky receiver 6 28.57%
FoD problems - DSM receiver 2 9.52%
FoD problems - FlySky receiver 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Apr 27, 2017, 12:42 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Discussion

Eachine Aurora - Flip of Death issue, can it be solved? Your Input is needed!

Many Aurora owners have been confronted with the Flip of Death issue. But still it's not fully clear what is causing the issue, and how to solve it. Hopefully this topic will help narrow down the causes, and lead to fixes that are a 100% certain solution.

Just so we are talking about the same thing, Flip of Death means that after a flip or roll, suddenly a pair of motors stop/run idle, while the other pair keeps running. On a quadcopter this will results in a series of rolls, until the quad crashes.

Here's an example of my Aurora 90, showing the issue:

Eachine Aurora 90 - Test flight & crash (1 min 13 sec)

I've added a poll, to see if the issue is only affecting users of a certain receiver type, or whether it's totally randomly spread around all different versions. If you have experienced Flip of Death, or not, please state in the poll what version of the Aurora 68/90/100 you have, and whether you have the issue, or not.

If you think you know a fix, please leave a message, with as many details as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Update 16 august 2017:

Many different solutions have been given. These seem to have been the most effective ones:

1) upgrade to BF3.1.7
2) swap to xt30 connectors
3) use higher c rates battery to prevent brownouts
4) disconnect led bar
5) soft mount FC / motors
6) different props
7) raise Digital Idle setting
8) change Startup Power setting

The firmware doesn't seem to be having much impact. I've seen quads with 3.1.7 do a flip of death. Points 2, 3, 4 and 6 will help if the issue is caused by the voltage sagging too low, and the flight controller browns out. But when the FC stays up and running, and the quad still does a FoD, it's likely not a power issue. And ESC settings might be the way to go.

Note: As for solutions for the progressive drift issues that many Aurora owners encountered, some suggestions on how to fix those can be found here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...e-%28review%29
Last edited by SoloProFan; Aug 16, 2017 at 03:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 27, 2017, 08:52 PM
Oh I wish we could find a solution to this. These are some attempted fixes that I've heard of but no confirmation on anything. A FOD wound up crashing resulting in a broken motor. So now I'm waiting on a motor replacement. Real bummer as the Aurora 100 is an excellent performer. Using a DSM2 version.
1) upgrade to BF3.1.7
4) disconnect led bar
6) diffrent props
Apr 27, 2017, 09:43 PM
Good thread Solo as so many have various issues with this series! Pls also include solutions for drift issues as I believe this is a common problem also, which I plan to try tackling using soft mounting the motors

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Apr 28, 2017, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidy$Trainer
Oh I wish we could find a solution to this. These are some attempted fixes that I've heard of but no confirmation on anything. A FOD wound up crashing resulting in a broken motor. So now I'm waiting on a motor replacement. Real bummer as the Aurora 100 is an excellent performer. Using a DSM2 version.
1) upgrade to BF3.1.7
4) disconnect led bar
6) diffrent props
These are solutions you have tried but didn't work, right?

Btw, I wanted to reply to your PM, but I got a warning that your inbox is full, and you can't receive messages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiaumun
Good thread Solo as so many have various issues with this series! Pls also include solutions for drift issues as I believe this is a common problem also, which I plan to try tackling using soft mounting the motors

Drift issues can be solved with soft mounting. All my Aurora quads had progressive drift, and all are now stable in self leveling modes. At least stable not counting the FoD issue, offcourse.

For suggestions on how to do the soft mounting, please check my Aurora review thread. I've added the link in the first posting.
Apr 28, 2017, 03:27 AM
Drift issues can be solved with soft mounting. All my Aurora quads had progressive drift, and all are now stable in self leveling modes. At least stable not counting the FoD issue, offcourse.

For suggestions on how to do the soft mounting, please check my Aurora review thread. I've added the link in the first posting.[/QUOTE]

Thanks again Solo ...... I shall try the soft mounting methods you mentioned in the thread, fingers crossed as the drift started as minor but has gotten progressively worse.
Apr 29, 2017, 08:03 AM
I didn't try all of them just upgraded to BG 3.1.7, diffrent props, dissconecting led, diffrent batteries. I ordered the firer 110 frame I will probably try that too.

I can use the 450 25c battery get lvc buzzer kicking in do flips just fine no issue and sometimes on stock battery fully charged batt I get FOD? Just weird. I'm down right now after a FOD one of my motors/stopped working. Waiting on a replacement
Apr 29, 2017, 10:48 AM
People that are not having and FoD issues, can you also list if you kept your Aurora stock, or made changes, like different settings, updated firmware, etc?

The poll is still almost empty, but so far all prople that reported no FoD, were using something different than FrSky.
May 02, 2017, 02:40 PM
On the ol' Interweb
Deleted.
Last edited by TazRC; May 03, 2017 at 12:47 AM.
May 02, 2017, 04:40 PM
making crashing a lifestyle!
i have just build my aurora a few days ago (bought the diy version without cam/vtx/ledbar and lipo), so i don't have that much flights with it.
my current setup is:
aurora 100
frsky receiver
1 led
xt60 connector for lipo
BF version 3.1.0
800mah 30-40c lipo

i have only flown 5 lipos so far and no serious throttle punches or stunting.
only thing i had was that i didn't check the stock LVA settings.. and they were setup to burn and kill my lipo... stock setting was for warning cell voltage 2,8V.... and yeah, first flight it dropped out the sky once the beeper sounded.... set the low voltage alarm to 3,7 now..

i didn't use the poll since i don't have the airtime with the Aurora 100 to give a good answer for the pol yet..
May 02, 2017, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
People that are not having and FoD issues, can you also list if you kept your Aurora stock, or made changes, like different settings, updated firmware, etc?

The poll is still almost empty, but so far all prople that reported no FoD, were using something different than FrSky.
Mine was totally stock for the first 20-25 flights . My first FOD came soon after I had bent a prop. Then it went down hill from there. I always flee los for about 40 seconds or so in horizon mode and would always do a flip or side roll then land and fly FPV. Now FOD on first flip. Still waiting on motor replacement.
Jun 07, 2017, 09:35 AM
I'm having this issue on all my auroras 68, 90 and 100. Broke two arms on the 100...
Today was my maiden flight with the aurora 68... In the middle of a power loop, it just starts falling out of the sky...Before, I got two warnings that something wasn't right, but I was able to recover.. The aurora 90 every time I give it a little more punch, it started to fall... In a flip, in a roll or just throttle up a bit more...

All of them have the following:

BF 3.1.7 (tried to downgrade the Aurora 90 to version 3.1.6, but still the same issue)
BLHeli_S 16.65
JST connector for lipo
Aurora 90 has soft mounted motors (It has also dys 2030 triblade props)
Gaoneng 550mah 80/160c (could it be the power ? Will try with the original batteries in all of them and see)
flysky receiver...
Jun 07, 2017, 10:04 PM
I have a Flysky Aurora 100. I has done the FOD serveral times on 3s 30C and 35C batteries but not on the stock 2S 80C battery. I also have not been able to flash Betaflight as of yet...it has a serial port failure msg but I can get into Betaflight for config.

I will use some other higher C rated 3S and 2S batteries soon to see if the C rating is the cause of the FOD....

Update... I tried a Turnigy high voltage 3s high C rated battery and still had the flip of death. So low C rating does not seemed be my issue....

Turnigy Bolt 500mAh 3S 11.4V 65-130C High Voltage Lipo Battery...
Last edited by taegeuk; Jun 09, 2017 at 10:09 AM.
Jun 07, 2017, 10:11 PM
making crashing a lifestyle!
since i have plenty of flights on my A100, i can add to the poll.

fods destroyed already 2 frames..
i have racerstar 1104 6000rpm motors (different from bnf version)
esc was fried pretty darn fast, so i'm using racerstar black 18A esc.
rx is stock. but i never had a receiver problem (beeping transmitter) when getting a FOD.

i have 850mAH 3S turnigy bolt and 800mAH 2S nanotech for the aurora (and my other micro's )

strangest thing is:
i never had a FOD on 2S and plenty of FODs on 3S..

i think the FC can't coop with the flipping speeds on 3S (which is way faster than on 2S) and goes berserk..

i have another micro FC on my way for another micro quad, and will put it in the aurora and see if the FOD is FC related..
Jun 08, 2017, 01:14 AM
There are several theories, it could be the vibrations on 3S are stronger, due to higher rpm, but the idea that the gyro can't handle very fast rotations also sounds like a possibility
Jun 08, 2017, 04:02 AM
You'd have to hit 2000/second to get the gyro to the point of not being able to handle it.

I'd say it's either the frame or the FC. I never had any issues at all despite using the same ESC as the aurora, but I use a Lantian 90L frame and a FC from myrcmart. The only factor I see that appears to be the same for all of the people with FOD is the eachine FC that comes with the aurora.