Eachine X73 Brushed - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by old4570, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 27, 2017, 03:33 AM
Mini-Review

Eachine X73 Brushed

Banggood had these @ a great price , so I thought YES !

Now the Eachine X73 has been a heck of a learning experience ....

1) First Warning = There are no INSTRUCTIONS , none ! So if like me you are noob to programming the onboard flight controller / seek help

2) You really / really / really want good batteries .. ( There is no going cheap here ) The X73 is a power HOG ! I ordered some 4 Syma X5 650mAh batteries ( also for another project = micro flying wing ) , and for some reason I got 12 of them ( ???? ) . Anyhow , I seem to be getting about 90 seconds of flight time and then the X73 falls out of the sky without warning ...

3) The X73 breaks , and breaks much easier than much cheaper micro quads ..

4) The wiring sux's hard , the + wire for the battery connector = I had to super glue it to stop the contact from backing out of the plastic plug every time I inserted a battery .. The lead for the camera is too short , it desperately needs to be 5mm Longer . The camera falls of the quad with the slightest bump and the PCB board does not stay in the plastic camera body ..

5) Programming the X73 is critical ... I run a FrSky module in my 9XR pro , the X73 needs to be armed , and the other thing you need to activate is Angle ..
Without angle active do not attempt to fly indoors ...

In the pictures I have included a few things I changed to make the X73 more indoor friendly .
PID Tuning
RC Rate I changed mine to 0.50
Super Rate Mine are 0.35 now
Angle strength was increased to 60 ( I may go higher for indoors )

I still haven't tried FPV , just setting up the X73 has Been a monumental PITA .
At first Cleanflight did nothing except say the firmware needed updating ( nothing else worked ) .
So I went to Betaflight , and it also said the firmware needed updating , at least with Betaflight I was able to do that ...
Then there was a painful process of trying to configure the X73 ..
Until I found a youtube tutorial that helped a lot , unfortunately it was not the best ( No detail on ANGLE and how important it is )
So I moved back to cleanflight , reflashed the firmware with cleanflight ...
Watched another youtube tutorial on Cleanflight for noobs and VIOLA ... The author mentions how important ANGLE is and how it should be activated .

Are we having fun yet ?

So lets cut to where I am right now ...
The pictures show the settings I am using to make the X73 nice and indoor stable ... ( Noob friendly too )
The batteries I have ( Syma X5 650 mAh ) are good for 90 seconds of flight .. At least the first one I tried ( currently being discharged and then recharged )
Now after falling out of the sky , and resting for a while , the battery resting voltage is .................................................. Wait for it ............................... 4.1 volts
Yeah , what the parking lot ?
Obviously the power demands of the X73 exceed the capability of the Syma Batteries ( 25C ? )

What have I broken ? Prop guard was killed at the first fall from the sky ..
2nd fall broke the battery loop ( holds battery in place ) ...
Now I just use double sided tape ..
The 2nd battery looks to be taking longer to charge ( so might be better ) (?)
Definitely need a much higher grade / performance battery ( many recommend 50C )

So the X73 flies really well for 90 seconds , I haven't tried FPV at all ( all my time has been spent on getting the X73 in the air )
Oh , and has Eachine replied to my queries ? ( No ) Such as a user guide !

I think the X73 is a wonderful concept ..
But there are pitfalls , especially for me ! It has been a PITA getting this far ..
I have to order a 50C battery and see if the Eachine X73 is worth the effort .. ( Im 50/50 so far )
If your noob , id say give it a miss and if your an expert and you see it heavily discounted = go for it ...

I might play with the X5 batteries and see if I can't get more than 90 seconds ( I have a dozen of them ) , as well order a 50C battery and hopefully not kill the X73 before the battery gets here .. ( It really falls out of the sky with no warning - drops like a rock )
to remove ads between posts