Apr 26, 2017, 10:58 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

ESM FW-190 A Build Thread

Hey everyone,

I have wanted a bigger FW-190 for some time. I am more partial to the A over the D variant. After several conversations with Tomas I opted for the ESM FW-190 A. I picked up the Sierra retracts and the scale 2 blade spinner. I ordered it on a 4/20 (Thursday) and it was delivered on 4/25 (Tuesday).

Model: https://vqwarbirds.com/product/esm-fw-190/
Retracts: https://vqwarbirds.com/product/sierr...-190-retracts/
Spinner: https://vqwarbirds.com/product/esm-f...ack-and-white/
Engine: OS GT33
Servos: Futaba S3071HV for the Aileron and Flaps so I can run SBus, the rest not quite sure maybe Futaba 3305s

This will be my most complicated ARF build. I will post pictures of items out of the box as well as my thoughts.
Last edited by colemn615; Oct 21, 2017 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Adding Image
to remove ads between posts
Apr 27, 2017, 10:50 PM
Thread OP
I have taken a bunch of pictures. I have an album that you can view FW-190 Build

After reviewing all the contents I have a few items to think about.
  • Normal size CA Hinges are used on all surfaces except flaps (some sort of slot and pin) and rudder (hinge pin), The surfaces are not solid so I am unsure if they should all be pin minus flaps or if the CA hinge is ok
  • The firewall seems to be a little under a centimeter thick, is that thick enough for a DLE 35's power, if not how should it be reinforced and to how much
  • I haven't used air retracts before, what size of Robart's tank should I use
  • Did they use enough glue inside of the frame around the firewall (see pictures)
Last edited by colemn615; Apr 29, 2017 at 09:12 AM.
Apr 29, 2017, 09:11 AM
Thread OP
I stopped by my LHS (Hobby Haven) and spoke to the owner (Rick). I opted to go for some Robart hinges. He also recommended a Hinge Point Drill Jig. I purchased that as well.

We also spoke about what size tank would yield how many cycles on the retracts. He thought the standard tank which has 14.5 cu in would yield 3-5 cycles. He recommended if I have used that size that I should charge the lines after every flight as part of the fueling process. He said if I have room to purchase the large tank which has 43 cu in.

Once I figure out my layout I will make a decision. Good possibility I will purchase the regular size and if I have room pickup the large later.
Apr 29, 2017, 09:15 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Try to keep everything forward ( as far forward ) as possible !
May 02, 2017, 06:43 AM
Thread OP
That's the plan. I love the look of the A variant of the FW-190. It also gives me a wide range of engine options.
May 22, 2017, 06:26 AM
Thread OP
More parts showing up today.

I opted to break the engine in on another frame so I picked up a Escapade MX 30cc.

I plan to put together the Escapade and then start on the 190.

Right now my thoughts mostly are around the firewall. I have never worked on a plane that was fiberglass. From the pictures you can see that they glued the firewall in there. I am used to reinforcing them with tri-stock. Judging by the pictures that may not be possible. Does anyone have any suggestions for reinforcing the firewall from the inside?
Aug 17, 2017, 07:50 PM
Crash Test Dummy
I plan to put carbon fiber cloth and epoxy on the back of my firewall.
Aug 24, 2017, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemn615
Hey everyone,

I have wanted a bigger FW-190 for some time. I am more partial to the A over the D variant. After several conversations with Tomas I opted for the ESM FW-190 A. I picked up the Sierra retracts and the scale 2 blade spinner. I ordered it on a 4/20 (Thursday) and it was delivered on 4/25 (Tuesday).

Model: https://vqwarbirds.com/product/esm-fw-190/
Retracts: https://vqwarbirds.com/product/sierr...-190-retracts/
Spinner: https://vqwarbirds.com/product/esm-f...ack-and-white/
Engine: TBD (looking at a DLE 35)
Servos: TBD (looking at Futaba S3071HV for the Aileron and Flaps so I can run SBus, the rest probably tactic 47 or 57)

This will be my most complicated ARF build. I will post pictures of items out of the box as well as my thoughts.
C615, will pay cash for a copy on the manual, got one all most nib, a few things are missing and it has a hole in the wing , but have nearly finished that repair, but to have the manual would be nice tks frank
Aug 24, 2017, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemn615
I have taken a bunch of pictures. I have an album that you can view FW-190 Build

After reviewing all the contents I have a few items to think about.
  • Normal size CA Hinges are used on all surfaces except flaps (some sort of slot and pin) and rudder (hinge pin), The surfaces are not solid so I am unsure if they should all be pin minus flaps or if the CA hinge is ok
  • The firewall seems to be a little under a centimeter thick, is that thick enough for a DLE 35's power, if not how should it be reinforced and to how much
  • I haven't used air retracts before, what size of Robart's tank should I use
  • Did they use enough glue inside of the frame around the firewall (see pictures)
nice pics, I have more work to do on my fuse, the guy cut it open where the fuse guns are , I guess for batterys , I guess he was going to use a electric motor
Oct 21, 2017, 10:41 PM
Thread OP
Well, I put my OS 33 in a 30cc Escapade and have been flying it to break in the engine. So far I really like the OS 33. I also put in some Futaba 3305s for elevator and rudder on the Escapade and I really like them.

I have a few projects left (fix Align 450l heli, fix Blade 180cfx heli, fix Freewing SU-35). I expect to start on it in a month or so.

I picked up a few things these past weeks.
  1. Incidence Meter from Hanger 9
  2. EPO Grip Paste Epoxy
  3. EZ Balancer Lite
Oct 23, 2017, 09:01 PM
I've been looking at this bird for a while, but one of the old-timers at the field warned me about composite, and specifically ESM ARFs. He said, among other things, the fuse is not well supported/weak, and that these builds are more trouble than they are worth. I've known him a while, and he's been right about pretty much everything else RC related, so far. Is he correct? I have assembled several balsa ARFs (gas and electric), but never composite. The 30-35cc size is my favorite, so I'm hoping he's wrong.
Oct 25, 2017, 03:02 PM
Did you communicate with Tomas from VQ Warbirds? If so, how did you do it? I emailed him and post some messages on Facebook but still no answer. I received only one aswer some weeks ago, but after that is stop whole communication.
Nov 05, 2017, 07:10 AM
2 many planes & 2 little time
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyJones
I've been looking at this bird for a while, but one of the old-timers at the field warned me about composite, and specifically ESM ARFs. He said, among other things, the fuse is not well supported/weak, and that these builds are more trouble than they are worth. I've known him a while, and he's been right about pretty much everything else RC related, so far. Is he correct? I have assembled several balsa ARFs (gas and electric), but never composite. The 30-35cc size is my favorite, so I'm hoping he's wrong.
There is some truth to what your friend is saying about composite planes. Friends & I have had several of the ESM models. The composite used is a gel coat. The material is heavy and weak compared to stick built planes. The average ESM warbird requires 2 plus pounds of nose weight to balance the heavier fuselage. My advice is to go with the heaviest motor you can fit. Typically the 72" models end up weighing in about 20 pounds for a gas model. The wing loading is high at this weight and they fly heavy. They land heavy. They look great. GL with the builds. My FW190 Flew great with a XYZ53 twin. My Corsair sports a DLE55, both planes required lead in the nose to balance in addition to the bigger engines because of the heavy composite fuselage.
Nov 28, 2017, 07:06 PM
Thread OP
Well I have started on the wings. Yesterday I worked on the servos for the Ailerons and Flaps. My servo arms that came with the servos are not long enough but I had some heavy duty dubros that worked.

I used some clamps to clamp the servo to the hatch and then tapped the blocks with a drill bit and then put the screw in. I removed the screw and used thin CA to strengthen the blocks. Once I did them all I mixed up some EPO Grip Paste Epoxy (love this stuff). I positioned the servos to ensure they have equal throw. I wrapped the servos in blue painters tape just incase some of the epoxy got on the servo itself. I put two clamps on each servo, one to press the servo to the hatch and then another to press fit the two sides of the blocks to the servo.

While I had some of the EPO Grip Paste mixed up I decided to do the flaps as well. I pulled out the hinges applied some petroleum gel to the hinge point and then put a thin layer of epoxy on both sides and mounted all of them to the surface. I opted to wait and see how it goes before mounting it to the flaps to the wings.

I will add pictures after a bit.

On a side note I read about a guy who put on a DLE 20 on one of these and had to add 2 lbs of weight to the nose to get it to balance. I am not sure which version he used. I have the built up wings and not the fiberglass wings. I also don't plan to put in a tail retract. My engine full weight is a little over a lb heavier than the DLE 20. I also have the weighted spinner. At this point I am debating going with a Zenoah G38 or Zenoah G45 for the added weight. It's kind of hard though because I really like my OS GT 33. It run very well and has plenty of power to haul around my Escapade MX 30cc.
Nov 29, 2017, 09:08 AM
I had a Zenoah G38 in the ESM 74" Corsair. The G38 crankshaft bent of an otherwise uneventful noseover on the maiden flight. I later found that at least one model of Zenoah's G38 was known for bent crankshafts. One person commented that the crankshaft would bend if you looked at it. As far as weight, reliability, and adequate power, the G38 was a good fit for the Corsair, but if I did that plane again I would use a different engine.

Sierra retracts should be a good choice for your FW. I had them in the Corsair. Never a problem.

Brian

Quick Reply