Tower Hobbies Ryan STA EP ARF - RC Groups

Tower Hobbies Ryan STA EP ARF

Balsa built-up ARF's are making a comeback, and the new Tower Hobbies Ryan STA EP ARF is a prime example. Let's take a quick peek at this upcoming classic sport plane.

Tower Hobbies Ryan STA EP ARF

A Balsa Built-Up Golden Age Icon!

Tower Hobbies has just announced a beautiful new balsa airplane with a wingspan at 53". The Ryan STA EP ARF is designed for electric power such as the Rimfire .32, and a 3s LiPo in the 3200mAh or higher range. The Ryan comes with scale details such as a detailed fiberglass cowl, wheel pants, and fairings. The trim scheme features a checkerboard bottom wing and red/white/black fuselage graphics.

The Ryan STA is priced at a respectable $139.00, and is scheduled for availability in mid June 2017. CLICK HERE for more information.

Features:

• The perfect plane for aerobatic maneuvers like loops, rolls and stall turns.
  • A great “step-up” aircraft for pilots who have mastered high-wing trainers or low/mid-wing sport models.
  • Strong, lightweight, built-up wood airframe.
  • Hand-laid fiberglass cowl, wheel pants and fairings improve scale looks and aerodynamics.
  • Individual aileron servos with short, direct linkages provide precise control.
  • Removable one-piece wing simplifies storage and transport.
  • Easy-to-attach magnetic cowl does not use screws, for cleaner lines and easier motor access.
  • Easy-to-remove hatch for faster LiPo battery changes.
  • Scale, high-viz trim scheme with checkerboard wing bottom design uses high-quality heat shrink film.
  • Ailerons arrive prehinged.
  • Low parts count for faster assembly.
  • Complete hardware package included.

Apr 26, 2017, 01:23 PM
Parkstormer!
I think I've found my next project . . .
Apr 26, 2017, 01:25 PM
RCGroups Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyLee
I think I've found my next project . . .
Same here. she's a real beaut!
Apr 26, 2017, 01:57 PM
AMA member since 1974
Wish listed.
Apr 26, 2017, 05:05 PM
Wandering IT geek
Very attractive. Nicely done Tower! Look forward to reading build posts.
Apr 26, 2017, 05:23 PM
DFS#000178
That's a gorgeous little ARF.

Tower's been hitting it out of the park recently!
Apr 26, 2017, 06:58 PM
Only have room for one plane.
I'm glad I held off buying another plane (been trying to decide between 2 planes)
This one just moved to the top of the list.
Apr 26, 2017, 09:22 PM
"Die with the ball centered.."
I'm a long time Ryan fan and really looking forward to putting in an order. Despite my lack of space I'll make room for this airplane. It's just the right size and the scale looks great...I'm excited.

Excellent choice Tower....!
Apr 26, 2017, 11:57 PM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive66
Only have room for one plane.
I'm glad I held off buying another plane (been trying to decide between 2 planes)
This one just moved to the top of the list.
I wonder if we can talk Freddy into getting one. Do a group build.

I'm really tempted. I think I'm going to wait until the next unit run to get the CZ Cessna. As badly as I want it I don't want to beta test another EFlite airplane...

So I'm in the market again!
Apr 27, 2017, 02:57 AM
Pre ordered....

Seems like a lot of airplane for $125.00 shipped, (with Tower Club member discount).
Apr 27, 2017, 11:21 AM
"Die with the ball centered.."
The larger Phoenix Ryan ST was a little tempting but the wheel pants are really ugly and off scale so that was enough for me to pass. Tower's version is a much more attractive size, scale and cost.
I'll be looking forward to recovering the Tower color scheme to a more original Ryan factory silver and blue trim.
Last edited by capteasy; Apr 27, 2017 at 11:41 AM. Reason: photo
Apr 27, 2017, 12:24 PM
Arrowhead
Looks really nice! If I didn't have the 101" RC Guys version, I'd be all over this.
Apr 27, 2017, 02:36 PM
EB-66C Team Member
SWEET!! Love the new balsa ARF's from Tower!

This would be a fun model to convert to control line..... Hmmm?
Apr 27, 2017, 02:36 PM
I did a preorder. I already have the GP Ryan STA-M This will be a nice addition to my fleet.
Stats say 3s power but a. 32 motor I fly my other 32,s on 4s Guess I will have to see what fits.
Apr 27, 2017, 03:25 PM
Product Manager at Hobbico
Yes, the rimfire 32 is commonly used on 4S. I have them on a number of planes myself. I heard the ryan has been flown on both 3s and 4s packs, with a prop change of course. Lots of room for batteries. I got to fly one recently , and it had a 3s prop on it, so a 3s/3200 pack was inserted. I wasn't expecting it to be so well powered. Takeoffs can be partial throttle, normal aerobatics from level flight no problem, and something surprising is it knife edges incredibly well. If it were mine, I'd change props and stick 4S in it, as I'm very familiar with the rimfire 32 on a huge range of props and batteries. However, the 3S setup makes a great sport plane that's fully aerobatic.
Latest blog entry: blog