Futaba 16SZ - Page 36 - RC Groups
Nov 08, 2017, 04:04 PM
Aeromodelling In Oz

Futaba in Oz

The 16SZ (as well as the 18SZ) have proven to be very popular radios here in Australia. Stocks of the 18SZ ran out a little while ago but are due again in a matter of weeks. The 16SZ also sold out quickly but is back in stock now with the distributors and they are being snapped up.

Hard to separate the two (in terms of features). Excellent radios at a very good price point which is seeing this long trusted brand regain a lot of ground here.

With JR virtually withdrawn from our market, the failure of the Spektrum DX20 to gain a foothold, Jeti with sky-rocketing prices, Futaba have placed themselves in very comfortable market in terms of price and features with the 16/18SZ.

I just hope they can keep up with demand.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2017, 05:41 PM
▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS 22897
the failure of the Spektrum DX20 to gain a foothold
are you talking about DX20 recall or has there been another large model crash over there ?
Last edited by reverse; Nov 08, 2017 at 09:49 PM.
Nov 08, 2017, 08:33 PM
dnn
dnn
Has anyone experienced the arrival date on pre orders with tower hobbies, or Futaba jumping all over the place. Not sure what to believe anymore.
Nov 09, 2017, 04:21 PM
I can't believe that Australia got stock of the 16SZ before the USA? Our demand here would be minute compared to America & Europe. I notice Tower are now predicting stock mid November.
Let me tell you the 16SZ is well worth the wait. Fab unit with a zillion features to use or not to use. I have had the unit nearly a month & still playing with menus. I have given a brief report but will give another report on the unit in a few weeks after thorough testing.
Nov 09, 2017, 08:42 PM
Aeromodelling In Oz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Buckley
I can't believe that Australia got stock of the 16SZ before the USA? Our demand here would be minute compared to America & Europe. I notice Tower are now predicting stock mid November.
Let me tell you the 16SZ is well worth the wait. Fab unit with a zillion features to use or not to use. I have had the unit nearly a month & still playing with menus. I have given a brief report but will give another report on the unit in a few weeks after thorough testing.

Does seem odd Col, but might just be the cycle of distribution from Futaba. I know retailers were also out of stock of the 16SZ for some time, so they are happy now that they are available.

You are right, they are a fantastic radio with whole host of features. I know of a couple of retailers who have returned other slow selling (recalled/troublesome/etc) high end transmitters to make more room for Futaba stock instead.

Will also be interesting to see how it affects sales of the flagship as well.
Nov 10, 2017, 01:45 AM
Inverted is easier Downunder
Hi guys, I’m still flying my 14sg, but have been following the 18sz thread and now the16sz so as to make an informed decision on which to purchase next. Absolutely nothing wrong with my 14sg, except the thought of a larger coloured touch screen, as against the jog dial of the 14sg, and I need another Fasst radio to use my Futaba remote training receiver module- trainer cord not required.
Decisions - 16sz $au900, 18sz $au1400.
One of my flying colleagues at SSME Model Park reckons the resolution on the pots of the 18sz gimbals is much higher by comparison with his 14sg (actual fact or opinion? and he feels with bearinged gimbals much smoother). But to pay another $500?
Granted the 18 and 16sz’s have many more features than my 14sg, but from my research of the 18sz, it appears that the programming SEEMS similar, but with more options.
If having problems programming, have a look at Malcolm’s book on programming the 14sg - a good starting point.
On charging, I have a life pack in my 14sg, which I charge on my Quattro x4 using the “servo” lead, and balance lead for monitoring.
I also learn’t from Bruce Simpson (rcmodelreviews) how to charge a single “low” cell in a pack using a 2 Pin connector to the balance lead. Now for a decision!
Thanks for all your inputs. Keith
Last edited by kjenko; Nov 10, 2017 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Addition and correction
Nov 10, 2017, 10:05 AM
Team Futaba
The 18SZ and 16SZ have identical programming. Both are similar to the 14SG but have 8 flight conditions per model in all aircraft types versus fewer in the 14SG which only has them in heli and glider model types. The SZ radios also do all types of transmission protocols (FASST/FASSTest/SFHSS/TFHSS) versus the 14SG which only does FASST/FASSTest.

The stick resolution is the same, but some say they like the ball-bearing supported sticks on the 18SZ over the sticks in the 16SZ/14SG.

The only differences between the 18SZ and 16SZ are the sticks, 2 fewer trims on the TX face, and a NiMH (16SZ) versus LiFe (18SZ). You can easily fit the LiFe pack in the 16SZ however.
Nov 10, 2017, 10:48 AM
Team Futaba
There are a number of new videos featuring Chip Hyde about programming the 16SZ, which also apply to the 18SZ:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Futabarc...=page_internal
Nov 10, 2017, 02:50 PM
Inverted is easier Downunder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
There are a number of new videos featuring Chip Hyde about programming the 16SZ, which also apply to the 18SZ:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Futabarc...=page_internal
Thanks Silent for the prece of the 3 transmitter, very helpful, some info I had gleaned already.
Yes, am using Fasst / Fasstest already, but could use S-Fhss and T-Fhss on some surface / boat models, another advantage of the SZ transmitters.

Been watching Chip Hyde’s videos in my research. Excellent productions.

Watched them all, but the one on ‘throttle cut and idle down’, was of particular interest.
As I’ve been flying elec power and electric gliders since getting back into the hobby after an absence of 20 years,
I’m now going to resurrect some old glo powered planes so ‘idle down’will be helpful.
‘Throttle cut’ not so sure. Seems to disable the throttle stick?
On my elecs, I prefer to use a radial dial as a safety arming switch, turning on / off at the motor page.
Keith
Last edited by kjenko; Nov 10, 2017 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Addition
Nov 10, 2017, 07:48 PM
Bo Edström, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjenko
I’m now going to resurrect some old glo powered planes so ‘idle down’will be helpful.
‘Throttle cut’ not so sure. Seems to disable the throttle stick?
On my elecs, I prefer to use a radial dial as a safety arming switch, turning on / off at the motor page.
Keith
Yes, Throttle Cut inactivates the throttle, to protect against inadvertent movment of the throttle. It is a safety thing.
On electric powered planes: A two position Off/On switch or a rotary dial is suitable for this. I use myself a rotary dial (LD dial) on my Futaba 14MZ for this. I feel little more comfortable with that since it is harder to inadvertent change position on a rotary dial then on a two position switch, so for me it feels more safe. I have also recorded two sounds "Throttle cut on" and "Throttle cut off" and assigned these to the positions on the rotary dial when these positions are active (you can not record and assign sounds on 16SZ).

/Bo
Last edited by bossee; Nov 10, 2017 at 08:02 PM.
Nov 11, 2017, 12:25 AM
▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjenko
Decisions - 16sz $au900, 18sz $au1400.
why don't you purcharse the 16SZ from Japan and save over 200 AU$ ?
Nov 17, 2017, 02:22 PM
Well, my CC was charged so I guess the radio is on its way....

Doug
Nov 17, 2017, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougV

Doug
The heli versions are showing in stock with the airplane versions out of stock until mid December. So those either all went out on backorders or they didn't come in to Tower with the heli versions. I'd guess the former.....
Nov 17, 2017, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb
The heli versions are showing in stock with the airplane versions out of stock until mid December. So those either all went out on backorders or they didn't come in to Tower with the heli versions. I'd guess the former.....
They have both showing in stock now.

Doug
Last edited by DougV; Nov 17, 2017 at 03:31 PM.
Nov 18, 2017, 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougV

Doug
Mine was too...and I got a UPS tracking number......finally !!