Sep 02, 2020, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnriverluver View Post
I don't know anything about the 500mm but Cubs need rudder input to turn. That said when I got my 750mm I expected it to fly somewhat like my UMX Sport Cup and my UMX Timber since it's nearly the same size as the Timber. It flies nothing like either of the UMX planes. It's heavy and wants to be flown fast! This Cub is the worst of 40 models I own as far as tip stalling and most of the crashes I've had with it were tip stall related. Fortunately it will take a beating and come out without a scratch. When you turn keep up the speed! I can only assume the smaller brother is built the same. In the Safe mode you can try turning with just the rudder to get the feel of it since the plane will stay level in that mode just making flat turns. Then you can experiment using rudder and aileron together.
thank you!

i am going to find a field to practice on. too many trees here to keep up speed and learn how to use my throttle hand for rudder, i am so used to having it on the right after learning on my 3 ch. i just need a little more space before i reach a tree
to remove ads between posts
Sep 02, 2020, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisco View Post
volantex sport cub 500 came a few days ago. my backyard is definitely too small for it. i have already had to go up 3 trees to retrieve it.
it makes a very shallow turn with ailerons in beginner mode, and i can't keep it between the tree line.

i need more room to learn rudder with my left hand, after flying the top race 3 ch for a few weeks.
i guess i'll have to go in search of an empty playground/atheletic field.

seems like a nice little plane though. interestingly, it has the same prop as the top race, which has a 4" smaller wingspan.
Your Top Race is a Volantex V761-1 Mini Trainstar re-brand - 8.5x20 motor against the V761-4 Sport Cub's 10x20. The Tx/Rx combo are compatible in each though the Sport Cub has a few extra features programmed into Rx/added to Tx.
To increase your feelings of inadequacy as a pilot watch the efforts of Dom at Essential RC
CHALLENGING BACK YARD/GARDEN FLYING !!! VOLANTEX RC SPORT CUB 500: ESSENTIAL RC FLIGHT TEST (5 min 54 sec)
Sep 02, 2020, 04:58 PM
thank you!

that gentleman is amazing! his yard is half the size of mine, maybe i'll get there in a few years.

i took her to the local soccer field today, she really flies beautifully. i had the space to practice rudder and ailerons, and i can see that it is going to take a lot of practice.
Last edited by bisco; Sep 02, 2020 at 05:03 PM.
Sep 02, 2020, 05:19 PM
I forgot to mention since it's been so long ago now but I swapped out the factory receiver and toy radio in my 750mm to an Orx stab out of a totaled HK Skyraider and a Spektrum receiver making mine flyable with a real transmitter and adjustable rates and expo. I could barely fly the thing with the transmitter that's supplied so if you get the hang of it you are doing really great!
Sep 02, 2020, 05:54 PM
Quote:
thank you!

that gentleman is amazing! his yard is half the size of mine, maybe i'll get there in a few years.

i took her to the local soccer field today, she really flies beautifully. i had the space to practice rudder and ailerons, and i can see that it is going to take a lot of practice.
Once you get a feel for it switch to Mid Mode - still self levelling but dumps the limits. Makes that little toy a dream to fly in a small area. I always wanted its big brother but too hard (and expensive) to get out here. I've got a couple of Fun Cub bodies arriving so once built I'll have something similar to run on my TX16S.
Sep 02, 2020, 07:29 PM
will do, thanks! not cheap here either, i paid $120. for this one, but i don't buy from bang good, who are cheaper.
what are you building? i would like to try my hand at something this winter.
Sep 02, 2020, 07:32 PM
Quote:
I forgot to mention since it's been so long ago now but I swapped out the factory receiver and toy radio in my 750mm to an Orx stab out of a totaled HK Skyraider and a Spektrum receiver making mine flyable with a real transmitter and adjustable rates and expo. I could barely fly the thing with the transmitter that's supplied so if you get the hang of it you are doing really great!
how old is it? i wonder if they have made any improvements? the guy in the video seems to have no problem. i haven't had anything but rtf, so i wouldn't know, but even a gentleman from horizon hobby advised me to step up from the rtf tx on the hobbyzone cub.
Sep 02, 2020, 10:21 PM
Quote:
how old is it? i wonder if they have made any improvements? the guy in the video seems to have no problem. i haven't had anything but rtf, so i wouldn't know, but even a gentleman from horizon hobby advised me to step up from the rtf tx on the hobbyzone cub.
Only about a year old but the 750 version has not been available since right after I got my 2 here in the USA warehouse. Reason I bought 2 to have spare parts for when they finally vanish. They were only $80ish to my door then. It took 6 months for props to arrive from China. They show availability now in CN warehouse but I will never order anything else located in China.
Sep 03, 2020, 07:56 AM
it is difficult finding things not coming from china. do you mean they must be in a us warehouse?
i'm looking at a few things that show october/november deliveries, so i'm assuming they are in china.
Sep 03, 2020, 10:20 AM
Quote:
it is difficult finding things not coming from china. do you mean they must be in a us warehouse?
i'm looking at a few things that show october/november deliveries, so i'm assuming they are in china.
Yes only the USA warehouse but even the last there planes that came from it the packaging was torn to hell. Luckily the planes survived . I wish they would start making these foamies in the USA even though they would cost considerably more.
Sep 03, 2020, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Yes only the USA warehouse but even the last there planes that came from it the packaging was torn to hell. Luckily the planes survived . I wish they would start making these foamies in the USA even though they would cost considerably more.
agreed. i just don't know if it's possible to bring much manufacturing back here. i haven't seen much progress in the last 4 years, and frankly, we don't have the labor force.
if it's totally automated, it might work.

it is amazing how most everything hobby related ran out of supply during the virus.
Sep 03, 2020, 02:14 PM
I've thought of the Turbo Timber for a while, actually was the plane that got me involved in the Airplane side of this forum... but after purchasing a few of the Volantex birds, I'm pretty impressed with their materials and how nicely they fly.

Would you guys that own the Super Cub 750 say that it's still a decent investment? I have the SC 500, just drowned it actually, and the mini versions of the Mustang and F22, as well as a Champ. I'm looking at picking up a decent REAL radio, and I'd like to transition into a slightly larger plane when the time is right.

For a high wing flyer, is the 765-2 still worth it? Or should I look at a different/newer model?

Thanks!
Sep 04, 2020, 07:32 PM
Has anyone had issues with the stock tx with the Super Cub? I read many accounts of flyers losing their planes due to stock transmitter failures, my previous experiences with some Volantex tx's do not leave a great impression.

Regards
Last edited by Midtimer1; Sep 08, 2020 at 07:15 PM.
Sep 04, 2020, 08:17 PM
Quote:
will do, thanks! not cheap here either, i paid $120. for this one, but i don't buy from bang good, who are cheaper.
what are you building? i would like to try my hand at something this winter.
The Fun Cub kits are a scaled down knock off of the old Multiplex Fun Cub - 1100 wings against 1400. They were on sale from the Oz warehouse for $116AU landed for the 2 - cf $181+Au for the real thing elsewhere out here. I wasn't expecting anything much for under 60 bucks but they just turned up and look pretty good. Ground Control RC has build vids up on Youtube but I see the price is now something like $110AU out of China for 1! Hopefully we'll end up with something to make up for the disappointment of the XK A160 - another Shelf Queen.

Quick Reply