Apr 25, 2017, 06:39 PM
Staying away from trees..
Thread OP
Discussion

Getting back into RC - Going to build a 3D printed drone

Hey guys. It's been a long time since I posted on here last. I got into RC flying about 10-12 years ago as I was getting out of high school and starting college. I was pretty gung-ho about it for a couple years, sticking to electric parkfliers.

I graduated college, moved to a new state, got married, had kids, that whole deal... in haven't flown anything for about 8 years other then an indoor toy RC helicopter that is fun to zoom around the house with from time to time.

I built myself a 3D printer last fall, and a recent dfiscovery of drone photography videos on YouTube had sparked a desire in me to build my own drone.

I know there is a lot to learn. I started printing myself a MHQ2 quadcopter last night, and will figure out where to go from there. Should be fun. Not planning on doing areal photography or fpv with this, it's just going to be something to tinker with and learn to fly quads on.

I've got an old JR 72mhz 4 channel transmitter. I don't even know of it is worth trying to use that or not. I never made the jump to 2.4Ghz back before I stopped flying. Spektrum was just starting to hit the market back then, and was pretty expensive.

Any suggestions on hardware for an inexpensive starter setup on the 250 sized platform would be helpful. I'm not looking for crazy speed or performance. Just something nice and stable and controllable.

Just for fun, here is a picture of a couple of the arms printing:
to remove ads between posts
Apr 25, 2017, 09:59 PM
I wouldnt use that radio. Just personal opinion. Taranis qx7 or a turnigy 9xr pro are relatively cheap. The bad thing aboit this hobby is if you buy the most basic stuff to see if you will like it, you then find yourself spending a bunch more to upgrade. If it was me, id get a cheap 250 frame, 1806 2300kv motors, 20a blheli escs, a pdb, bunch of spare props, and a flight control. That last one is a complicated choice. Theres a ton of build guides on YouTube. Look up rcmodelreviews. He has a very in depth 250 quad build guide. Your also gonna need lipos and charger
Apr 25, 2017, 10:40 PM
FPV = Cardio
Quote:
Originally Posted by markag
Hey guys. It's been a long time since I posted on here last. I got into RC flying about 10-12 years ago as I was getting out of high school and starting college. I was pretty gung-ho about it for a couple years, sticking to electric parkfliers.

I graduated college, moved to a new state, got married, had kids, that whole deal... in haven't flown anything for about 8 years other then an indoor toy RC helicopter that is fun to zoom around the house with from time to time.

I built myself a 3D printer last fall, and a recent dfiscovery of drone photography videos on YouTube had sparked a desire in me to build my own drone.

I know there is a lot to learn. I started printing myself a MHQ2 quadcopter last night, and will figure out where to go from there. Should be fun. Not planning on doing areal photography or fpv with this, it's just going to be something to tinker with and learn to fly quads on.

I've got an old JR 72mhz 4 channel transmitter. I don't even know of it is worth trying to use that or not. I never made the jump to 2.4Ghz back before I stopped flying. Spektrum was just starting to hit the market back then, and was pretty expensive.

Any suggestions on hardware for an inexpensive starter setup on the 250 sized platform would be helpful. I'm not looking for crazy speed or performance. Just something nice and stable and controllable.

Just for fun, here is a picture of a couple of the arms printing:
Is that a Prusa printer? I've been eyeing an Anet A8 for personal use. I've been mooching from my office's Makerbot Replicator 1 for the time being. It's old, but it gets it done.
Apr 26, 2017, 04:13 PM
Thread OP
I built a Folgertech 2020 i3 kit. It was $235 on black Friday last year when I bought it. Normal price is $270.

To the comment above... I've got a Lipo charger already, not sure if any of my old batteries are any good any more, but I did have a 3S 1100mah for my piper cub. Lipos back in 2007, lipos were kind of the new thong on the block for batteries. I'm hoping the price has come down on them since then.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Apr 26, 2017, 04:51 PM
Yea, you really need more than 4 channels for a quadcopter.
You're going to need at least 1 more channel for arming, and another for flight modes if you want to easily change.
Apr 26, 2017, 05:00 PM
FPV = Cardio
Quote:
I built a Folgertech 2020 i3 kit. It was $235 on black Friday last year when I bought it. Normal price is $270.

To the comment above... I've got a Lipo charger already, not sure if any of my old batteries are any good any more, but I did have a 3S 1100mah for my piper cub. Lipos back in 2007, lipos were kind of the new thong on the block for batteries. I'm hoping the price has come down on them since then.

For a multirotor, you'll need to pay attention to the battery's "C" rating more than with a plane. They tend to need power delivered faster. Turnigy Nano-tech 3S 1300mah 45-90C are usually around $15 US and drop by a few when on sale (not including shipping).
Last edited by day o; Apr 26, 2017 at 05:02 PM. Reason: shipping
Apr 27, 2017, 09:48 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by day o
For a multirotor, you'll need to pay attention to the battery's "C" rating more than with a plane. They tend to need power delivered faster. Turnigy Nano-tech 3S 1300mah 45-90C are usually around $15 US and drop by a few when on sale (not including shipping).
Good point. I think my old 3S pack is a 20 or 25C battery. It's probably just fine for a single motor in a plane, but when you get 4 motors pulling roughly 12 amps each tot need a lot of current. I saw some 35C 3S 1500mah lipos on amazon for a decent price, would that still be to low?

Where is the best place to buy batteries and parts these days? I know from other hobbies, amazon is usually not the place to go looking for hobby specific items.

Apr 27, 2017, 12:29 PM
FPV = Cardio
Quote:
Good point. I think my old 3S pack is a 20 or 25C battery. It's probably just fine for a single motor in a plane, but when you get 4 motors pulling roughly 12 amps each tot need a lot of current. I saw some 35C 3S 1500mah lipos on amazon for a decent price, would that still be to low?

Where is the best place to buy batteries and parts these days? I know from other hobbies, amazon is usually not the place to go looking for hobby specific items.

I may be complete wrong or outdated, but I could have swore that GensAce/Tattu lipos were made on the East Coast (FL maybe?). Dunno if that matters to you. They are available via Amazon Prime.
Apr 27, 2017, 01:00 PM
Still tryin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by day o
Is that a Prusa printer? I've been eyeing an Anet A8 for personal use. I've been mooching from my office's Makerbot Replicator 1 for the time being. It's old, but it gets it done.
I just got the Anet A8 off of Gearbest last week, it is awesome. Took about 4 to 5 hours assembling the whole thing, spent half the time just pulling the protective film off of it. I've been printing like crazy since last Saturday.
Apr 27, 2017, 01:03 PM
Still tryin'
Quote:

your probably talking about the Floureon batteries aren't you. I have 8 of those and they work just fine, not puffing and internal resistance remains low, I fly once a week and fly about 75% throttle, usually don't max out throttle for more than a few seconds.
Apr 27, 2017, 02:00 PM
Thread OP
The one in talking about is probably 9 years old. I would have to go find it to tell you what it was

Apr 27, 2017, 02:01 PM
FPV = Cardio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward McRichy
I just got the Anet A8 off of Gearbest last week, it is awesome. Took about 4 to 5 hours assembling the whole thing, spent half the time just pulling the protective film off of it. I've been printing like crazy since last Saturday.
Awesome! That's good to hear. Honestly, the whole putting it together thing is probably my main draw
Apr 27, 2017, 02:41 PM
Thread OP
Honestly, the A8 print volume looks small. For about $100 more, you can get the folgertech i3 kit with a 200x200mm print bed and standard reprap boards.

I've printed some items to slightly modify mine, but it is pretty close to a stock build. The 2020 aluminum frame means I can customize it super easily.

Apr 27, 2017, 03:11 PM
FPV = Cardio
A8 is a 205x205 print area
Apr 27, 2017, 03:41 PM
Thread OP
gotcha. Maybe I was looking at something else. My mistake.

Quick Reply