Apr 23, 2017, 04:05 PM
Thread OP
New Product

WhitenoiseFPV Unify Pro Mounting Board

The WhitenoiseFPV Unify Pro Mounting Board is to help tidy up your builds and eliminate the need for zip-ties and tape. Please keep in mind that this is an accessory to builds. Tape and zip-ties work fine but I hated it and making things stack-able really helps to organize things. For those of you with ultra tight/slammed builds, you might find that this will not fit and that is completely fine. I will be using this thread to build up some documentation and support for these boards. You can pick up these boards at:
  • WhitenoiseFPV
  • Heli-Nation
  • Team BlackSheep
  • Drone Superstore (UK)
  • Twisted Quads
  • PhaserFPV (AUS)
  • RC Crazed
  • Goblin Hobbies (ZA)
  • Flying Robot (ZA)

There are currently 2 versions of the mounting board: Pro V2 (5V) and RACE/HV.

For vendors and support emails: [email protected]

I'm still working on assembly videos and photos. Sorry for the delay!

Features:
  • Clean stack-able mounting solution
  • Pin-out to pad expansion for direct soldering
  • Thermal pad to aid in heat dissipation
  • Receiver mounting
  • Remote button expansion for VTX button access outside of the aircraft

Assembly Information

Pro V2 (5V only)
This board was the original design. It is make for the Team BlackSheep Unify Pro V2 5V video transmitter. Because of the side pin out design of the Pro V2, you can have full access to the VTX without the use of the included pigtail plug. By soldering the Pro V2 to the mounting board via the 5 pads and 4 pin outs, you can solder your connections to the mounting board instead of a plug. Keep in mind that the board is flexible in how you use it. You can still use the pigtail connector if you would like (this allows you to fully disconnect the VTX instead of desoldering the wires from the pads).
To power the VTX, you apply 5V to the 5V pad (instead of using the plug). Solder a ground wire to the square ground pad and your video to the "V". Audio is supported on the Pro V2 (the pad marked "A"). The audio pad can also be used for the SmartAudio feature.

In short, the board's ONLY functions is to give a stack-able mounting solution for this video transmitter and expand the pin outs already located on the board. There is no regulator or any other features that would augment the Pro V2 from its normal use case.

SmartAudio and Mic: While you can hook up a mic and SmartAudio to the "A" (audio pad), it is not guaranteed to work. Please refer to the SmartAudio Documentation to see the proper way of wiring a mic and SmartAudio to work together.

5V Bridge: On the bottom of the mounting board, there is a solder bridge labeled "5V". By default, both 5V pads located on the top of the board are not connected. That is to allow the Pro V2 and receiver to be powered from separate voltage sources if needed. If you would like to run the Pro V2 and receiver from the same voltage source, then you may connect the bridge. Once this is done, you will only need to connect 1 power wire to either of the 5V pads on the top of the board. All grounds are connected on this board.

RACE/HV
Because there is no pin-outs on the RACE or the HV Unify Video Transmitters, there are no pads located on the mounting board. You will use the pigtail included with your Unify Pro as normal.

Large Pad: The large pad that is located on the top of the board is to allow for better heat transfer. This is not to be soldered with the board. When you line up the VTX on the mounting board, you'll notice that parts of that large pad are sticking out from the side. These should line up with pads located on the VTX. Those are where you will solder the pads. Solder should not be applied to the bottom side of the video transmitter to connect that large pad!

Receiver Mounting
If you would rather not use the receiver portion of the board, you can always skip it and directly connect your receiver to your flight controller.
This board is compatible with ANY receiver. While the target receivers are the FrSky X4R-SB, D4R, and XM+, this board is NOT limited to only those receivers. The solder bridge located on the top of the board is to choose which set of headers you will get your signal from. If you want to pull the signal from the X4R header, then bridge the center pad to the X4R pad. What does this mean if you want to use a Spektrum satellite? Just solder the wires to one of the headers and choose that header. That will allow you full access to your receiver via the "RX" pads on the mounting board.

NOTE: While the "RX" "5V" pad is labeled as 5V, that does not mean it needs 5V. If you are running a Spektrum Satellite that needs 3.3V, make sure to connect 3.3V to that pad. Again, the 5V pad is only there because the FrSky receivers are powered via 5V.

Button Expansion
The pads labeled "BTN" and "EXT" are to allow for the addition of a remote button. This is another optional feature because no other frame has this incorporated design.
Because the Unify buttons work by pulling down the voltage to read a "press", I have added a pad so the "hot" side of the button can be wired to the board via "BTN" pad. On the LED back plate of my current frame, the Riptide, I have a button which connects to the "EXT" pads on the mounting board. This simply adds another button in parallel with the Unify Pro video transmitters to allow access from the outside of the frame. If you are not using SmartAudio, then this is extremely useful for swapping between channels.

That white box on the bottom is also for labeling if you want to mark your board (1, 2, 3...). Helps me organize

Kevin (Whitenoise)
Last edited by KSLee106; May 16, 2017 at 05:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 23, 2017, 04:09 PM
Thread OP
Joshua Bardwell's video on these boards
THE BEST WAY to mount your TBS Unify and FrSky Receiver | WHITENOISE FPV (10 min 45 sec)
Last edited by KSLee106; May 08, 2017 at 02:06 AM.
Apr 24, 2017, 09:09 AM
Neat!

Did you cover the whole thing in epoxy or what is it that you applied to it (on the picture showing it installed in your quad)?
Apr 24, 2017, 09:13 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBO
Neat!

Did you cover the whole thing in epoxy or what is it that you applied to it (on the picture showing it installed in your quad)?
The red/black stuff is liquid tape that I peeled off since that receiver was pulled from an old build. I do cover the entire board (VTX and receiver) with liquid tape after the installation to help with water resistance.
Apr 24, 2017, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSLee106
I do cover the entire board (VTX and receiver) with liquid tape after the installation to help with water resistance.
How do the buttons like that?

Or do you use an extension for both the Unifiy's and the X4R's button?
Apr 24, 2017, 09:28 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBO
How do the buttons like that?

Or do you use an extension for both the Unifiy's and the X4R's button?
I've found that liquid tape is pretty awesome for applications like this. I completely cover the buttons then use a little dab of white to mark where I have to push. When it all dries, it's rubbery so you can still hit the button and keep it splash proof! I do use a button extension for my Unify too but if I ever need to directly access the button on the Unify, it's still pretty easy. My X4R's button hardly gets any use since I just bind it once and forget about it until it dies.
Apr 24, 2017, 09:39 AM
z33
z33
Nice design!
Apr 24, 2017, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSLee106
When it all dries, it's rubbery so you can still hit the button and keep it splash proof!
Nice!

Now I'll just have to check which store charges the least for shipping

Great design. Should make things much cleaner than all the double sided tape and ziptie options.
Apr 30, 2017, 02:06 PM
Cannot wait for the videos. I saw this on TBS website and fell in love with the design! Totally going to be getting one of these for my build.

Trying to decide on 3" or 5" lol
May 07, 2017, 11:33 AM
Unstoppable quaddiction
I just ordered one, think this will really help with a clean build and should be more durable.
May 08, 2017, 11:18 AM
May 08, 2017, 08:41 PM
NSaNE_FPV

Great board

Hello all,

Thank you for creating this accessory, being able to put the Unify on the FC stack is almost a must on POD builds, keeps it all nice and tight..

Im upgrading some parts and cleaning up my build, I just received my board today, HV/Race version and i use a Speck Sat normally but just modded my devo for FRSky so the XM+ is on the way. I noticed that you dont have any install pics for this version that i could see, might you have a diagram or pic to share. My reading comprehension isn't good so I want to make I know what i'm doing before I solder, Ill be putting it with the BF F3 and i dont know if I can change VTx setting with the Devo yet either. Need to read up on that to.

I need to put all the parts into the Lumenier Pod

Sorry just watched the full video from Josh Bardwell, =)
May 10, 2017, 10:37 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel74
Hello all,

Thank you for creating this accessory, being able to put the Unify on the FC stack is almost a must on POD builds, keeps it all nice and tight..

Im upgrading some parts and cleaning up my build, I just received my board today, HV/Race version and i use a Speck Sat normally but just modded my devo for FRSky so the XM+ is on the way. I noticed that you dont have any install pics for this version that i could see, might you have a diagram or pic to share. My reading comprehension isn't good so I want to make I know what i'm doing before I solder, Ill be putting it with the BF F3 and i dont know if I can change VTx setting with the Devo yet either. Need to read up on that to.

I need to put all the parts into the Lumenier Pod

Sorry just watched the full video from Josh Bardwell, =)
Sweet man. Sorry I'm a little slow on building out the documentation for this. I think once you get the board and lay the components out, it should come together fairly quickly. But yes a wiring diagram is definitely on the to do list!
May 10, 2017, 11:39 PM
NSaNE_FPV

came together

Man ol man, this thing sure does work as intended, put my stack on a BF F3 board and stuck it in a pod.. =)

Joshes Video was perfect for me, no space science just get it done... (perfectionism sucks) =)

I didn't think I could pull off the build, but that one piece helped me tie it all together.. the cut part (VTX 5V empty spot on HV/Race) made a perfect area to bring the camera and antenna wires through. Just so many things done right on this setup, (not mine the whitenoise board). Now I have to get a Tran. Qx7 so I can use the smartaudio VTx settings.. made my button reachable, not sure what the extended remote button is all about...

Thanks again..
May 12, 2017, 10:26 AM
Time to clean up some stacks.

Just received a nice envelope from TBS with 3 of these.

For anyone interested in the weight: 2.3g

Quick Reply