Sheer, 2.6m All-around slope/DS model - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 23, 2017, 02:12 PM
Certifiable User
Build Log

Sheer, 2.6m All-around slope/DS model

Sheer is a model that Steven Seim and I have been working on for the last year and a half or so. I haven't posted up much about it. Decided since I'm working in it again, I should get a build log going.

We have 3 flying models so far. It has proven to be a great flier and quite fast. One improvement I have wanted is a bit more fin area for low speed (<100mph) handling and thick enough to fit a healthy servo

Model is fully molded, flying surfaces were cut direct to female corian molds, fuselage was cut as a male master.

Anyway here are a few legacy pictures

Lee
Last edited by killercando; Nov 28, 2017 at 06:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 23, 2017, 02:35 PM
Certifiable User
So for the new fin, Steven carved on out of fmf and I grafted onto a master I layer up out of the old mold. Got it all polished up and built the first mold half yesterday. Did a time lapse video of the glass layup. Gonna wait a couple days before stripping part plane and building other half.

Lee

Fuselage mold layup (3 min 23 sec)
Apr 23, 2017, 06:19 PM
KG7NXX
Looks awesome Lee; Really unique look! Love the time-lapse. Cant wait to see it on the hill. Thanks for taking the time to post.
Apr 23, 2017, 07:05 PM
I'm All Thumbs

I'm bleeding !
Awesome just isn't enough.
Skies
J
Apr 23, 2017, 10:14 PM
Certifiable User
Thanks you guys, the designer was allowed free rein on this one

I geuss I did make him shorten the wing fillets and a few other minor things. Mostly just to make it easier to build.

Guy has a ton of far out designs and has done work on a few very successful models.

Lee
Apr 24, 2017, 04:18 AM
Everything's A Compromise
Watching and learning
Apr 24, 2017, 04:34 AM
Have Wings, will Fly!
Lee looks great mate, be good to see those solid wings on another fuze.
Are you going to strengthen the fin/fuse connection, I seem to remember this was an issue for you on the hill and now with a bigger fin...
Apr 24, 2017, 02:41 PM
Auzzie built planks
Awesome lee. I really like the lazer alignment , I've always thought of that but never seen it done
Latest blog entry: More colours
Apr 24, 2017, 03:57 PM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
Tremendous work as usual Lee! Keep it up
Apr 26, 2017, 03:25 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
Pointy-nointy! I approve of the larger fin.
Looking forward to seeing it up close!
Apr 27, 2017, 08:22 AM
Have Wings, will Fly!
Lazer level works well, I used this system last year on my 2mt build to get the vertical and horizontal tail aligned, along with a Simon Watts digital incidence meter, perfect results.

wheres an update Lee, or too busy on the turbine building?

Don
Apr 27, 2017, 10:47 AM
Certifiable User
Hey Don, ya stayed up late night and got second half of fuselage built.

As for the fin I think you were remembering the kinetic 2 meter that split wide open. The Sheer only had issues at the canopy opening. The new Fin definitely has a lot more leverage though. I will be running an extra layer or two between boom and Fin interface. Also setting up this mold to hold threaded steel inserts for the stab hold down.

This mold has access through the canopy opening two facilitate a seam roller while joining fuselage halves. Also looking forward to using plywood ribs in like Dave shows in his Rubicon thread for joining the tail boom

It's Thursday now will be cracking the mold open Saturday hoping it all good
Apr 29, 2017, 05:43 PM
Certifiable User
3 days cure will need to suffice, Ivecgot a deadline man!

Cracked them open today, perfect release, no inclusions in the tool coat, all drill guides came out nice

Will finish cleaning up, wax,pva and paint today. Tomorrow, layup fuselage

Last one, that broke at canopy opening, I used laminate with 4oz uni and 6oz bias fabric. 3 layers carbon from joiner back, 4 layers glass from behind wing forward.

So what kind of layup should I do?

Also old mold was joined using joggle and spoog. This new one will be be wet seamed thru canopy opening for nose and wing area then a bladder inflated for the boom and spoog in the fin. Nice steel threaded inserts for stab mount will be used as well.

Anyway, will post up a few more pics as I make more progress.

Lee
Apr 30, 2017, 11:40 AM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
That thing just looks ominous! Love the lines on that fuse Lee.
Apr 30, 2017, 09:35 PM
Certifiable User
Just finished fuselage layup. Pretty sure it will come out nice.

Laid tow in the tight corners then spooge followed by 1.6oz glass.

I wet out all the laminated layers on plastic drop cloth so I could squeegee and hard roll the resin in.

Ended up with 4 layers in the nose and 3 layers I the tail plus all sorts of reinforcements

As for joining, I knew I wanted to wet join. Full bladder inflation would require me to fiddle with custom made bladders and doesn't seem necessary for this model. Especially with that big canopy opening So I added up rolling the seam, nose to trailing edge of wing. Standard twisting balloon from wing to leading edge of fin. And standard spooge joining for the final and tailcone.

Anywho, looking forward to Monday After work I'll have, hopefully a good surprise

Lee

Pics to follow shortly