Pilot RC 22% extra330 with Os 1.20 surpass 4 stroke - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 23, 2017, 11:14 AM
Discussion

Pilot RC 22% extra330 with Os 1.20 surpass 4 stroke

I have an os 120 surpass 4 stroke and am new to glow. I like flying IMAC and am considering the Pilot RC 22 % Extra 330 as they claim flying weight of 7.57 lbs. it appears that this would be a decent power to weight combo but I would like some input particularly on the vertical,performance. Yes I know a 2 stroke would be lighter but I love that screaming 4 stroke sound and may be a little quieter to meet our noise restrictions at the field. Pls I have the 4 stroke already. What do you think ? I do not compete. Just like the precision flying.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 24, 2017, 01:18 PM
Sounds good to me! On a 3d plane, 4 strokes tend to need a higher pitch prop than 2 strokes to get airflow across the tail. Since you're not into that, I'd say to lean even heavier towards higher pitch and lower diameter for Imac style flying. Most would be using gas on that but since you're going glow, you made a good choice to start with.
Apr 25, 2017, 08:53 PM
ltk999,
Consider this, I have an Aeroworks 300 Extra 60-90 sized plane that weighs 7lbs. 2oz. My O.S.110a 4-stroke puts out 15 lbs. of thrust with a Xoar 15/7 prop, and really hauls the freight. I think you'd be really happy. I'm actually considering the same plane in the yellow checker scheme for my other 110a engine since Aeroworks has just folded.
Karl
Apr 25, 2017, 09:22 PM

Thrust

Thanks guys. I thought it would be ok . I have been flying electric and using the formula 150-200 watts per lb. I had trouble finding any info on gas / glow thrust ratings. All the glow guy s talk about size of prop and rpm,s but it's the lbs thrust I'm interested in. If you are aware of any links to thrust ratings for various engine prop combos please forward them to me for future projects / reference. Much appreciated !
Apr 25, 2017, 09:47 PM
Oh...that's gonna leave a mark
I just picked up the Orange/yellew checker. The plane really looks nice out of the box. I only had time to glance at it, but I think only the rudder needs hinging......should be a fast build when I can get to it.
Kurt
Apr 25, 2017, 10:13 PM
ltk999,
I've been running 4-strokes exclusively for many years, and I've found that their power output is much different than 2-strokes. The 2-strokes seem to need RPM combined with smaller props suited for their size to extract their power. The 4-strokes on the other hand, turn larger props because of their greater torque and generally will tolerate a wider range of pitch and diameter of props. Quieter, more torque, better fuel economy have been the reasons I prefer them.
Kurt,
Let me know how the build goes and how you like it.
Karl
Apr 26, 2017, 07:39 AM
Ok. will do......I will be putting a OS 22 on it
Kurt
Apr 26, 2017, 04:55 PM
Just ordered the 22% green checker color. Will be my first glow plane transferring over from electric, 3DHS 57" extra 330SC which was a great plane .
Apr 26, 2017, 06:41 PM
ltk999,
With your 120 4-stroke in the plane, you're in for a treat!
Karl
Apr 26, 2017, 11:26 PM
Which servos would you guys recommend. I'm on a budget. Will be running a 7.4 volt lipo. Thinking hitec Hs-5665mh or similar . Thoughts ?
May 08, 2017, 09:49 PM
ltk999,
I'm running Futaba 3010's in my Extra's with a stronger one in the back for elevater. I normally just use Futaba 3004's for the throttle.
If you guys have your Extra's already, tell me about the kit quality and instuction manual. Does the 22% version have airfoiled tail surfaces? I'm getting ready to contact Chief Aircraft myself to order one. Since you're on a budget and using Hitec, 645's are a good performer.
Karl
May 09, 2017, 12:38 AM
I received my 67" 330 and am about 1/2 way thru the build. Yes the elevator and rudder are airfoiled. The instruction manual is online thru Pilot RC. On the negatives....One joint near the canopy was not interlocked well together at the factory and a couple of the diagonal balsa stringers on mine were not glued well. Also my kit did not have the gas engine bearer plywood pieces so I fabbed my own up rather than wait for a set to be sent. Went through all joints with thin CA as a precaution like I do on all my airframes. On the positives, the covering is very well done, nice graphics, no ironing required and tight sealed edges. The fibreglass work on the cowl, canopy, and wheel pants is very good. I weighed all my components including my heavy 35 ounce OS 120 surpass 4 stroke and all in I should come in at 8 lbs dry, 9 lbs with fuel . I went with HS5645MG digitals on the tail feathers and HS5625MG on ailerons. I mounted tail servosmin the rear of the fuse rather than rudder pull pull setup as I need weight at the back for correct CG. All in all a pretty nice kit for $349 IMO.
May 09, 2017, 08:09 AM
My kit also did not include the plywood engine mount but came with the typical nylon 2 piece engine mount......so I used that instead, worked fine. Using HS 7985's all around.
Kurt.
May 09, 2017, 10:21 AM
ltk999,
Thank's for posting the pictures, as it answers a lot of my questions. I like the fact that they mold the canopy into a single piece like Aeroworks did, it makes for a cleaner look. Glad to hear about the airfoiled tail for better flight control. Do the stabs bolt on like the bigger Extra's? One thing I'd like to point out is the openings in the firewall and engine box aera. I always seal those openings that are meant for electric ventilation with thin plywood to prevent exhaust spray and oily mess from working it's way into the fuse area. Just ask me how I know! I also loose the supplied tank in favor of a Sullivan or like quality tank to prevent leaks and split tank necks. Go ahead, ask me how I know. It looks like your 1.20 is a pumped engine, if so you'll love the performance of the plane.
By chance while looking at aerobatic videos of Extra's, I found one that shows the exact scale markings of the yellow checkered one. It seems that they actually copied a real one for scale markings.
I have an O.S. 120 II Gemini twin looking for a home. Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Karl
May 09, 2017, 01:38 PM
Hi Carl, no, the stab is epoxy in place. I purchased 14 oz Sullivan tank to sneak under the carbon tube so as not to throw off the CG too much. And yes, I had planned on covering the firewall area like you recommend. My previuos flying is all electric so this is new to me. Thought I'ld try 15x8 prop to start. Oh...and also installing a smoke system !! that will be cool. For scale look, here is a great extra instrument panel, just scale up/ down and print with color printer. I'm also buring my digital LED LIFE voltage readout in the instrument panel for my taranis radio for scale effect. Note the IMAC sheet pasted in !!

LK